"Just Wow!" - A tale of terrible customer service!

Prometheus

I just read this, and I have to say, I'm utterly astonished.

Pretty typical of the "industry", though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pretty hilarious, you have to admit. I wonder if this is really a sign of the industry per se and not a sad example of someone who is stereotypical internet moron all the time.

And this is why I keep suggesting that Craig needs to calm down and stop taking everything said about him so personally. This email chain could have just as easily been about the Pandora and Craig's "what's your order number" style posts.

And this is why I keep suggesting that Craig needs to calm down and stop taking everything said about him so personally. This email chain could have just as easily been about the Pandora and Craig's "what's your order number" style posts.

Very true, but I wholeheartedly believe that Craig has enough sense not to let anything escalate to levels like this. Hell, I've seen him back down appropriately when things started to go in that direction.

This guy's apology is just sad (not to say any apology would have been, I could see a meaningful response to this but not just to beg the other person to "stop"). It sucks if his wife and child really are getting targeted over this, and frankly it's hard to imagine how at least the kid wouldn't be, but if I were in either of those positions my embarrassment in being connected to this guy would far outweigh anything anyone is saying to me.

this reminds me way too much of our Craig, to a point where I can see this thread getting out of control with craig-bashing, causing Craig to close it and being continued over at gp32x

^ That certainly wasn't the intent at all. :blink: I was just stunned by what I was reading.

Additionally, someone just forwarded this one to me, in a similar vein. It's made amusing to read by some of the e-mails (like the one about their first bicycle) of the aggrieved customer and the irate elitism of the guy he was corresponding with.

How long before he deletes his Twitter account? He should just unplug his computer and hibernate for a good 6 months!

Lesson learned I guess. It's not cool that his family is being dragged into it but it all could have been very easily avoided.

It would be better if he actually appeared to be learning a lesson :<

(or worse, depending on what you're getting from this)

You couldn't find that kind of a dick if you went around pulling people's pants down.

pity this kind of shaming does not happen to real corporate anti-social behaviour and not just to some small business shmuck.

edit/

hmm the amount of exposure this is getting seems like a setup?

I couldn't help myself, but each time I read the e-mails from "Gabe", I read it in Hacmanplayer's voice. If you do remember that douche :p

pity this kind of shaming does not happen to real corporate anti-social behaviour and not just to some small business shmuck.
It frequently does. The result is that the major corporation releases a statement saying how the person's behavior does not represent the company and the offending person has been disciplined. It does absolutely nothing to actually change their policies.

I just stop at the 'You can have a refund.' bit.

I never follow it up after that, that was this guys mistake. Just do what you have to do and leave it there,

often you cannot make people like you again once they have decided you're a bastard (Although Steve Jobs

was famously immune to that).

Still, I wonder if the publicity has worked for him, if his sales have gone up? The weird thing is that in

my experience even bad publicity works.

The best thing is the way that their website says the most important thing is what comes up when you are googled

This is what hit me when I searched DDG (I don't like Google)

• The biggest PR fail in history
  • How not to treat customer
  • Feel the rath of the internet
  • Most unpleastant PR rep in gaming
  • How to self-destruct your company
  • Shoots itself in the foot
  • PR disaster
  • How to destroy your reputation
  • FAIL
  • PR guy is a jerk
  • How not to do marketing
  • Customer service implosion
  • Great moments in PR FAIL
  • You're an A*s*o*e
  • WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE
  • Busnch of jerks: Worst Customer service EVER
  • How to ruin your reputation
  • Hilariously unprofesional
  • Epic PR fail
  • PR suicide
  • How to fail at customer services

Yet the most complained about company in the UK (talktalk) are still one of the biggest.

Drink the wine, praise the god of all and let the world be the world?

The guy's actually been fired apparently.

The short version of the story: Avenger guys had a marketing firm. Avenger production slipped (I believe we're all familiar with how that works) and marketing firm takes a lot of calls about it, professionally. Avenger guys start panicking a little. New big shot shows up, says "I know this guy in Best Buy, I know a guy at Game Stop, I can get you money". Marketing firm says "we're not really comfortable with this guy, he's a loose canon". Avenger guy says "don't care, we're desperate". New big shot meets reality. Marketing firm says "I told you so, I told you so. I. Told. You. So".

And he still doesn't get it, that's the worst part of this. "Oh, if I'd known who I was talking to I'd have handled it differently. And Mike should have handled it differently too, he wasn't very professional". Don't care, it doesn't matter who they are, you don't treat them like that, and Mike wasn't professional because he didn't have to be professional. This guy was paid to be professional, he failed, and then tried to blame others. I have absolutely zero sympathy for him. A great deal of sympathy for his wife and kid, they're innocent in all this and should not have been brought up. The internet is just dicks.

Back