Keyboard layouts get political

they should learn about the super awesome layout we colluded on here.

[edit]
then pyra's will become the default computer keyboards :D

It would be nice to fix English keyboard by replacing Qwerty, but so many people would have a hard time learning the new layout(s). This is why we are still stuck with it, and probably will be until most people don't type and instead speak to their computers and devices. :'(

Oh my God, a nation wide keyboard discussion? Do they really know what they are stepping into?
No, so it seems. If they would have followed our endless keyboard-layout discussions here, they would have avoided this at all costs. :D

P.S.: QWERTZ for the Win! ;)

The French layout is terrible indeed, but good luck with the nationwide keyboard discussion, prepare for riots.

they should learn about the super awesome layout we colluded on here.

[edit]
then pyra's will become the default computer keyboards :D

Our humble Pyra keyboard layout is indeed a pretty good replacement for AZERTY. I would love it if the French got rid of AZERTY, because here in Belgium, we also have AZERTY and if the French change, I suppose we will change as well.

FWIW, I don't think they're proposing to drop the Q and A swap (versus QWERTY), so to my mind it'll still be an AZERTY keyboard, just a different one with accented characters and punctuation which is more prevalent in today's internet age more accessible and consistent.

I wonder, whether the include greek letters on the keyboard. :>

I can't say that I am all that familiar with the French layout, but it makes sense to re-evaluate the punctuation and adapt it to the internet age. Those that type blindly don't care about the symbols anyway and those that do will benefit.

It's just a keyboard layout discussion. What's the worst that can happen? :p

I wonder, whether the include greek letters on the keyboard. :>
Haha, ouch :)

The French have decided to build a new official French keyboard layout via the political process.
http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/22/france-wants-to-fix-the-terrible-azerty-keyboard/

So - get your popcorn, that will be a fun one to watch evolve.

The French always have to complicate things. For instance Composite video via Y/R/W cables... nice and simple, small. The French though had to make the SCART standard... so now you need a composite cable with the SCART connector or an adapter. Rediculous

The French always have to complicate things. For instance Composite video via Y/R/W cables... nice and simple, small. The French though had to make the SCART standard... so now you need a composite cable with the SCART connector or an adapter. Rediculous

May I remind you that SCART is one of our greatest (but also rare) inventions of the IT world, along with Gouraud shading and the Minitel ? And AFAIK, SCART makes for a much better standard for television and video games than S-Video, which was much more of a standard in its time than RCA. And I'm not even talking about the RF connector...

Anyway, I'm surprised to hear the news here, on an international forum, linking to an american website, instead of local news. Maybe I should listen to them, after all.
I'm glad I haven't bought a new keyboard after all. Mine should last long enough to see where this leads.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure this won't get far. As long as it involves fixing what most people think of as not broken, we froggies can get really lazy and unwilling.
But there is a need. I've given some thought about getting a QWERTY with Compose or BÉPO keyboard. And I can type on AZERTY while wearing a blindfold. That sums up how deep we are in this.
Actually, if one gets to know what can be done with this layout, we only need these keys for most use cases : é, ç, à, ù and œ. We have most of them as lowercase only, but some of them are unobtainable unless we use fancy commands.

I'm actually surprised we didn't try anything sooner. I guess that's the french way of doing things : waiting until it's too late, silently complain then freak out when nobody can do anything anymore.
It's tragic how we're slowly destroying our language with this hell of a layout. Most of us have come to think that if you can't type it, then it's orthographically acceptable. I refuse to lose hope. Let the war flame on.

May I remind you that SCART is one of our greatest (but also rare) inventions of the IT world, along with Gouraud shading and the Minitel ?
I don't know a lot about electronics, can you tell very briefly why this is the case (I'm unable to find something about this with an Internet search)? All I know is that I used to know an electrician who literally said that "the guy who invented SCART should be shot"... (Though he might exclusively have referred to the difficulty that can be had attempting to plug in a SCART connector "blindly".)

Huh? SCART is/was the absolute standard connection for TV's and co. for years, at least in germany. I consider everything else as "exotic" so common was SCART here.

Wasn't SCART just completely unneccessary since it only combined "Audio Left", "Audio Right" and "Video" RCA connectors and you often had to use this extra plug in between for no good reason?
As if the colours weren't enough to know which one goes where, cables that were all SCART didn't even give you the option to plug those three signals in different devices.

Nope, SCART is quite a bit more than that. It can also carry RGB signals, it has connections for signalling format (4:3 or 16:9), wake-on-start and other stuff. It wasn't completely standardised - There were versions that carried S-Video instead of RGB, for instance, and there are some unused pins that sometimes was pressed into service. One pinout diagram is here: http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/scartdiag.gif

Back