Keyboard Noise Question

RetiredAccount

Still Fresh
I was just looking through the forums when i thought, hey, when you press the key board buttons do they go clickety-click-click like texting on cell phones, or are they smooth and silent like laptop keys?

im not good at looking things up but i remember them saying it was a matt they had finalized for adding to the pandora, thus i would assume it is rubber keys and not plastic, silencing the klankety klank you are thinking of

someone correct me if im wrong

I asked a question about this, about tactile feedback and the clickity clackity of the IBM keys, and it wasn't in the design plan then, 4 or 5 months ago, and it still isn't now. compare to a calculator or larger some mobile phones.

I would've preferred a true keyboard, but after one week using a Psion Series 3a, I don't really care that much anymore...

krooked said:
im not good at looking things up but i remember them saying it was a matt they had finalized for adding to the pandora, thus i would assume it is rubber keys and not plastic, silencing the klankety klank you are thinking of

someone correct me if im wrong
Wrong :p
It's plastic keys with a rubber membrane underneath. I think it will be some kind of silent klick :blink:
The louder click in those other thumb keypads is because of metal bending at the contacts instead of rubber.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate noisy keyboards. Especially when trying to use the device at night when people are sleeping.

PSyMastR said:
I hate noisy keyboards. Especially when trying to use the device at night when people are sleeping.
I second that. I hate noisy input devices.

PSyMastR said:
+1 :p

When i used to text on my Nokia 6085 at night the whole house could hear it lol
Horrible clickittyness on that phone keypad! Now that I have a pink i-mate JAM it's pretty much silent, and surprisingly fast & easy using SPB's full screen keyboard :)

There may be noise produced when the plastic key hits the plastic key surrounding when a key is depressed. How loud that noise is depends on how strong the membrane is. Also the L and R buttons may make some noise depending on what type of button is used.

This is actually a good question. Does anyone else remember how damn annoying that gp32 joystick was?

geo12 said:
This is actually a good question. Does anyone else remember how damn annoying that gp32 joystick was?
yah dude, that shit was awful

I love the feeling of the click.

But I must admit the sound does get annoying. If only because it says "hey, look over here, I'm the source of that really annoying clicky sound that's been pissing you off for the last few minutes".

If I recall correctly, though, the general consensus when this was asked a while back was that tactile feedback is preferred (and likely), but microswitch-esque clicks are unlikely.

Back