Keyboard Question

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
Ok, so the pandora got a small querty keyboard...I still want to know if its easy to type on...

See this picture and look at the keyboard: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/pandora_render.jpg

And also take a look to this picture: http://www.hodister.be/jan/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/eeepc.jpg

Will typing go as smooth as on a notebook? Or as smooth as an normal keyboard? or something else?
I want to know how easy the buttons are to press, and a comparision if its possible.

Think cell phone keypad, a damn good slightly over-sized cell phone keypad. The key tops are enamel on a rubberized membrane. It's not like a normal notebook keyboard at all.

Its a lot smaller then an eeepc. Dont expect to type normally, probably all typing will be done with your thumbs. Material is very similar to many cell phones as has been said.

No need to create a new topic for this. Search before you post,,,

that takes me to the USB keyboard and PnP question hmm, better take it to another thread

I hope the resistance on the keys aren't going to be anything like the LG enV2,

I must admit I'm curious to see how typing on the keyboard compares to typing on a real Spectrum for example - but we won't know that until someone puts a real keymat in a real case with a real board and tells us about it. I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Craigix did say that after a little bit he got pretty adept at thumb typing. So I'm not worrying about it.

Tensuke said:
Craigix did say that after a little bit he got pretty adept at thumb typing. So I'm not worrying about it.
Wait a second - Gossip Stones have thumbs? I wasn't aware of this...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, the keyboard itself seems ok but the space bar also bothers me. My phone (Blackberry Bold) has a minute keyboard, but I can still type fast due to the logical layout of the keys (it's basically a tiny qwerty keyboard) but the space being where right shift normally is, is going to cause some brain spazzing issues I'd imagine.

With the keyboard on my Sony Ericsson P1i, I should already be rather adept at such thumbtyping. My bro once asked how I could type that fast when I sent an SMS with some long-winded directions.

Enverex said:
I have to admit, the keyboard itself seems ok but the space bar also bothers me.
If you're willing to learn, I don't see it being a problem. In fact, it makes more sense to me to have it to one side on a thumb-typing device like this. Certainly, judging by the wear on my Psion S5 keyboard, I always hit that space-bar on the left side (even though the the spacebar is biased over to the left on that device) because my thumbs don't reach as easily to the centre of the keyboard on the bottom row. On a full-size keyboard, or a phone-sized qwerty keyboard it's more conventional to have it in the centre, and it doesn't impact usability since you have full access to the range of the keyboard without stretching.

Personally I'm more interested in the tactile response. You can always learn a different keymap (hell, in the days before the PC every computer had characters in different places), but the responsiveness and positivity of the buttons will dictate whether it's practical to do extended text entry on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can learn to type on my Blackberry Storm, I'm certain typing on this will be a snap... (seriously RIM! The screen is a button!) I like it, but it was a pain to learn.

Back