Why No Real Keyboard-style As Seen In Pictures Before?

Szenario21

Still Fresh
Hi there,

I was wondering why the Keyboard style from the 1st picture of the official page (with the lady in red) doensn't make it to the final.

As you can see there this looks like a notebook keyboard.
But when you have a look at picture 2 you see that all the buttons are not any longer plain, like in picture 1. Now they are coming off the case and are not connected.
I can't imagine that typing is fun with that new layout.
So why was the more comfortable looking keyboard style thrown away?

Or is there any chance to bring it back in a 2nd or 3rd edition?

Edit: Hehe, if there is any chance to get one of those special pandoras, the lady is holding in picture 1, please let me know. ;)

That keyboard was just a place holder. A big rectangle divided into separate keys.
EDIT: Usual grammar.

PlopperZ said:
That keyboard was just a place holder. All it was was a big rectangle divided into separate keys.
Hm, ok thanks for the information.
But why do they throw this layout away?
I can't imgaine to type on this keys, as they now are, long sentences.
The ergonomics of a notebook like keyboard should be much better for typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original design for the keyboard had to be changed because it wasn't physically possible to have the keys right up against each other. There needs to be some degree of separation so the keys have a "lip" to hang onto otherwise they would just fall out.

good contacts (switches) make keyboards, so I think that's much more important than the way they're seperated

Hi and welcome. There are a couple of keyboard threads which you might want to read at some stage but essentially this device is the size of a DS. It doues not have a huge 'typing' keyboard due to size, it is not even comparable to the latest netbooks so you are likely to be thumb typing a little.

Notebook keyboards have tiny hinges under each key and at least 1-2mm of travel. The Pandora keyboard is (and always has been) more like a cellphone keypad. The keys sit directly on top of a membrane and the travel will be minimal. The keypad is far too small for touch-typing. Thumb typing is the prefered input method on a keypad this size, and the key type used is ideal for that.

Szenario21 said:
Hi there,

I was wondering why the Keyboard style from the 1st picture of the official page (with the lady in red) doensn't make it to the final.

As you can see there this looks like a notebook keyboard.
But when you have a look at picture 2 you see that all the buttons are not any longer plain, like in picture 1. Now they are coming off the case and are not connected.
I can't imagine that typing is fun with that new layout.
So why was the more comfortable looking keyboard style thrown away?

Or is there any chance to bring it back in a 2nd or 3rd edition?

Edit: Hehe, if there is any chance to get one of those special pandoras, the lady is holding in picture 1, please let me know. ;)
I can't imagine typing being any fun on any layout the size of the pandora. When you see the picture everything looks big, but you have to remember that the Pandora is smaller than an NDS. They keyboard isn't really meant for typing in documents or working on your resume'. I think it's more for emulation than anything else. Remember the old HPC's and wizzards? They were bigger than a Pandora!

Chris

people need to stop thinking it as a netbook key board and more as a text-messaging phone type keyboard. you arent meant to use the standrad HOME:F:J layout

PoisonedV said:
people need to stop thinking it as a netbook key board and more as a text-messaging phone type keyboard. you arent meant to use the standrad HOME:F:J layout
+1

How anyone is imagining trying to type on the pandora with multiple fingers (like a standard keyboard) is beyond me, I'm expecting to be typing with my thumbs, and I expect to get pretty fast at it after awhile (going on how fast I can text on my phone).

Geuben said:
PoisonedV said:
+1

How anyone is imagining trying to type on the pandora with multiple fingers (like a standard keyboard) is beyond me, I'm expecting to be typing with my thumbs, and I expect to get pretty fast at it after awhile (going on how fast I can text on my phone).

Psioneers of the 3xx variety (I'm one of them) adopted a six finger typing style, using the first two digits of each hand and the thumbs for spaces (with the device on a flat surface, obviously). It wasn't suited for blind typing, but I can vouch that note-taking speeds were achieveable, depending on how slow or self-repeating the speaker was, and how self-disciplined the notetaker to leave typing errors until the meeting was actually finished.

If the Pandora's keypad is anything like that of the Psion series 3xx, it'll do.

READ. THE. FUCKING. STICKIES.
I used to be one of the few people who actually gave the new users serious responses to their overasked, obvious, dumb, easily found out questions. But now there are 10 people registering a day asking the exact same thing, and the worst part is, they claim that they DID search and look around

polkunus said:
little off topic but, im still up for a backlit keyboard/pad.

Will you be making one then?

Alternatively you could use the search function to find out why its not going to happen.
Here, here, here.

Everybody is welcome here but there are stickies and search for a reason - to stop you getting flamed for asking the same old questions.

"Quick reply" should be disabled for members with less than 50 posts, and the "Add reply" button should get them first to the search page.

If no results found, them leave them write a post/reply. :D

Back