Kickstarter for commercial game licenses?

People seem to be fond of Android when it comes to games - which games are there that I would want to play on the Pandora that haven't been done better already and are easy to emulate or even ported? I have seen a few very mediocre FPS and some awful "racing" games EDIT: an a Zelda clone that controlled like sh..

Really, android touchscreen gaming is pretty exiting at first but is getting boring with time. On the other hand, devices like iCP and iCade are getting more popular and at some point, there will be more and more decent games for those that use their smartphone with an extension rather then a mobile console. I wouldn't even be surprised if Google would start a movement in that direction by defining a standard mapping. Also, there are enough apps to map controls to virtual buttons already. GTA3 with Pandora's controls could be epic.

Personally I'd like to have Super Meat Boy for the Pandora. This would be so nice with the pandoracontrols. Also it is a retro looking and challenging game, that i can't get enough of.

Personally I'd like to have Super Meat Boy for the Pandora. This would be so nice with the pandoracontrols. Also it is a retro looking and challenging game, that i can't get enough of.

I asked about this and got a 'not interested', of course money could always change that.

I asked about the possibility of a pandora port for the upcomming double fine adventure (you know the big kickstarter hit) not feasible was the reaction there, but not official but by fans.

I guess more lobbying needs to be done to get the commercial guys attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an amazing idea and a project which is bigger than the Pandora itself.

I hope you all understand the major problem isn't the licencing. It's the porting.

This could be done yes- but Id rather the idea of a team forming and funding an original high quality game for the Pandora via kickstart.This game could be ported to other systems to monetize it and the funds could enable further Pandora related productions etc.A team with the proper funding as opposed to just one guy without funding could get so much more work done.

This could be done yes- but Id rather the idea of a team forming and funding an original high quality game for the Pandora via kickstart.

To be honest, I second this. Unless you can get games from extremely big-name companies (one of which is Nintendo, which would probably unconditionally say "no"), there's nothing I can think of that I want on the Pandora that would require this. Plus, as mentioned previously, there's the porting effort.

If there's some indie games that the author wouldn't agree to let someone port, though, maybe this would be worth it for that.

A license would be, what, $20'000?

Assuming that 6000 Pandoras are in the wild by September, that'd be a minimum of $3.33 per person. Of course, just a fraction of that total will be interested. If 10% buy in, that's $33.33 per person. I'm not so sure this is viable. :(

A license would be, what, $20'000?

Assuming that 6000 Pandoras are in the wild by September, that'd be a minimum of $3.33 per person. Of course, just a fraction of that total will be interested. If 10% buy in, that's $33.33 per person. I'm not so sure this is viable. :(

That's what I was thinking.

If we had a working Android we could just play the Android versions of hundreds of big games, surely that would be much more cost effective.

We could even use the iCP mapping software to map the controls to the Pandora buttons.

Heroes of Might and Magic III (there already exists a Linux version I think)

Minecraft :p

And any game of the Humble Bundle which realistically can run on Pandora

Android would be a good idea - but how do you work around the problem with touch-centricity on a clamshell device?

---

random thought: what if you could use gesture control with your thumbs using a phone camera or two (like a miniaturized kinect)?

I think this is an excellent idea but think we would get more interest if the Pandora ran Android.

More people would possibly buy a Pandora too if they saw a familiar front end, something they recognise from their phone but with extra controls.

I think this is an excellent idea but think we would get more interest if the Pandora ran Android.
+1

Don't like Android very much ( for porting /programming reason) but i must admit that more than one user tend to buy an Android console (chinese...) and not a Pandora or Caanoo, so having the possibility to run (more or less) the same Android Apps plus the software specifically built for Pandora could tend more user to consider buy a Pandora.

Android would be a good idea - but how do you work around the problem with touch-centricity on a clamshell device?

---
As I said, using the iCP software to map the (same) Pandora controls.
How good could/would this be compared to using it on a capacitive-touch-centric device

Presumable some things would become rather clumsy, while others are much worse suited to virtual controls?

Getting Android ported as a first class citizen is the better option.

then you get fruit ninja ported for free.

Back