Kinetic Scrolling?

Norfen

Still Fresh
It seems like every touchscreen device has kinetic scrolling nowadays, and it is much better for browsing than scroll bars or whatever the Pandora does (I don't have mine yet). How hard would it be to do this?

Universal kinetic scrolling would be kind of tricky to implement in a widget system designed for a desktop system. Think of a scenario like this: you are looking at a web page or text document and drag downwards using your finger. Does the page scroll or does text get selected? You can see how universal support for kinetic scrolling could break applications. Some applications may explicitly use it, like fennec does. Modifying Qt programs to have kinetic srolling areas shouldn't bee too hard either. My point is that there's no magic button to enable kinetic scrolling everywhere.

Just to get this out of the way in case someone reading this isn't aware of the dilemma.

I wasn't exactly looking for universal, because B-ZaR does have a point, but its good that some browsers have it. Thanks guys, problem solved!

Firefox, if you'll be using it, has an add-on called Grab 'n' Drag. It does pretty much what you think it would, and it's so good that I find it difficult to use Firefox without it. It changes from page dragging to text selection when you double click on text, and back to dragging when you double click a non-text area. I'll be using it on my Pandora in Firefox if it works as well as it does on the PC. :)

Maemo 5 may have some built-in support for kinetic scrolling. I'm not certain though. But a large number of applications in Maemo 5 have kinetic scrolling, while it was almost absent from applications for earlier versions.

@-Tj-

I've just tried multiple times to install Grab & Drag for the latest firefox PND but it's just claiming a download error! Could be my net connection but it may mean at present its not gonna accept that one. :( Pity as sounds handy.

Edit : Just tried again and it does install :lol: very good too cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want kinetic scrolling in Chromium, install chromeTouch. It works like grab'n'drag, but it's for Chromium. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back