L2 and R2 buttons

ChaosWarmech

Has anyone tried to get the L2 R2 buttons working? Looking at the Hardware Hacking Manual it looks pretty easy to get them working. It looks like it's as easy as soldering an SPST button to the board. The hard part would be modding the case to make room for the buttons. Has any body tried this yet?

I'd love to try things like this, but my Pandora is going to be too precious to me for me to open it up. If I knew I could just buy another one, I'd go for it... but let's face it, the Pandora project is volatile as hell. I'm not saying OPT won't be around; I think they will definitely be if they want to. The issue is... these guys seem pretty burned out after a few years of constant bullying, etc. Are they really going to want to deal with the Pandora forever? :/

If we do see a Pandora Mk.II, I definitely vote for clickable analogue nubs and in-built L2/R2. Either that, or an EXT-type combination port/fastener that would let an L2/R2 extension snap on (like the keyboard on an Xbox 360 controller).

Last edited by a moderator:
If we do see a Pandora Mk.II, I definitely vote for clickable analogue nubs and in-built L2/R2. Either that, or an EXT-type combination port/fastener that would let an L2/R2 extension snap on (like the keyboard on an Xbox 360 controller).
Yea, I was thinking that maybe a better way to do it would make something that could be attached/removed at will and used the USB port.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I think it would be MUCH better to do it this way rather than use the onboard connections.

This is why I ordered a second one, so I can open this one that I have already abused so much and solder things onto it for experimentation.

This is why I ordered a second one, so I can open this one that I have already abused so much and solder things onto it for experimentation.
Nice, what kind of experimentation are you planning?

And about the L2 R2 buttons. Right now I'm contemplating the possibility of modding a USB mouse's buttons into L2 R2 buttons. Does this sound feasible? Would I be able to destroy most of the mouse, while maintaining button functionality? Or is there going to be a board or something in the mouse that has to remain completely intact?

And that's why I hope they'll sell the defective mainboards.

That way, it'll be safer to try a mod on it, and cheaper than a complete Pandora.

Moreover, thanks to WizardStan, we have a source for EXT connectors and MWeston released the schematics files of the breakout board …
biggrin.gif

Nice, what kind of experimentation are you planning?
L2/R2 of course, and I also want to expose the i2c pins to the outside somehow, though I've absolutely no idea what I would use them for anymore: I've not done i2c work in about 3 years.

There's also a GPIO in the lid somewhere to connect an LED to for awesome case modding.

I'd advise against opening up your Pandora. The screw holes are fragile and then there's the issue with trying to properly seat your LCD cable. I managed to snap that weird capacitor off the board since it sits in some perfectly sized tube. Somehow it doesn't affect normal operation of the Pandora.

And about the L2 R2 buttons. Right now I'm contemplating the possibility of modding a USB mouse's buttons into L2 R2 buttons.
How about the shoulder buttons from something like this, instead? It's slimmer than a mouse and already has pre-made shoulder buttons, and (as a mouse can) it can be connected via USB.

Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of what can or can't be shed from the innards, but it seems like it could possibly be a tidier option than hacking up a mouse, and it looks like the buttons would fit in nicely.

I'd advise against opening up your Pandora. The screw holes are fragile and then there's the issue with trying to properly seat your LCD cable. I managed to snap that weird capacitor off the board since it sits in some perfectly sized tube. Somehow it doesn't affect normal operation of the Pandora.
That's the microphone. I also had trouble getting it to go back into its slot. As far as opening the case, the bottom half is cake. Just gotta be careful of that flimsy microphone. :p

And about the L2 R2 buttons. Right now I'm contemplating the possibility of modding a USB mouse's buttons into L2 R2 buttons.
How about the shoulder buttons from something like this, instead? It's slimmer than a mouse and already has pre-made shoulder buttons, and (as a mouse can) it can be connected via USB.

Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of what can or can't be shed from the innards, but it seems like it could possibly be a tidier option than hacking up a mouse, and it looks like the buttons would fit in nicely.
That looks promising. I also was thinking a gamepad might be better, wasn't sure if I'd be able to find one small enough though. Looks like that should do it!

Back