Languages, Programs

linc186

Still Fresh
I would like to start developing my own content for the pandora. First, I'de need to know what language to write it in and what program to use...please tell me. Also, does the program for making game differ from that of making programs to use on the pandora, as does the code? Please tell me what program and what code to use if so.

On a more helpful note, possible languages to lookup include:

C/C++ (obviously, not much fun to start with though), Python & GLBasic

Pleng said:
On a more helpful note, possible languages to lookup include:

C/C++ (obviously, not much fun to start with though), Python & GLBasic

And BennuGD :)

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to move this to the "General Talk" section, as "I Need Help" generally tends to be reserved for issues folks have with their Pandoras. ;)

There is no one language or program you can or should use. Such is the power of the Pandora.
I use C++ because I like C++: it is fast, powerful, and not extremely difficult if you take the time to learn it. I also use Perl when I just need quick hacks or more complex string manipulation; some people prefer Python for that, and more.
The language you use depends entirely on what you want to do. If all you want to do is make games, "language" may not be the right idea; try Fenix which does not technically have a Pandora port (yet) but thanks to GINGE games made for the GP2X should still run wonderfully.

Okay, but can I have some distinctions on what each language specifically does and what they are capable of? I'm starting to learn C just because of an Iphone app, can i utilize this is pandora game making? The only languages I know so far are ActionScript 2.0 (not really a language..more a script), Html (again, not much of a language), and PHP.

what ever do you mean? actionscript is a language it used to be very much like javascript but i think that changed in 2.0 and html and php are both languages although html is markup language used to display/markup your content :) dont doubt your skills myfriend.

linc186 said:
Okay, but can I have some distinctions on what each language specifically does and what they are capable of? I'm starting to learn C just because of an Iphone app, can i utilize this is pandora game making? The only languages I know so far are ActionScript 2.0 (not really a language..more a script), Html (again, not much of a language), and PHP.
They're all capable of anything, Turing said so.

Of course, most libraries (Qt and GTK+ for GUIs, GStreamer or Phonon for media, OpenGL for accelerated graphics) are native to C or C++, so C and C++ are probably the most capable languages.

Python has bindings for a number of libraries, so if you install everything just right, you can probably do a lot with it. But it's interpreted, so any CPU-heavy work done in Python will be ridiculously slower than in C/C++ library code or your own C/C++ code.

Lua tends to be embedded in big C/C++ programs as a scripting language. It has much less standard libraries than Python, and I don't think there are many external libraries.

Don't use Java.

"Also, does the program for making game differ from that of making programs to use on the pandora, as does the code?"
Games are programs.
You can use the same languages and libraries for games that you would use for general-purpose applications. The only difference is what you call it.

PHP has similar syntax to C, so if you already know PHP, you sort of have a start on learning C and C++. In my experience, C++ does everything except websites, which are written in PHP as part of a proud tradition that has been handed down through the Armstrong line for generations.

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
In my experience, C++ does everything except websites
You can write CGI programs in C++ :p

WizardStan said:
lulzfish said:
In my experience, C++ does everything except websites
You can write CGI programs in C++ :p

Indeed you can, and from a personal experiance if I find the person that wrote some of the web applications written in C++ here at work... I may have to cock punch them. I have to practically reverse engineer the entire thing because the source was lost long ago. So don't write web applications in C++ unless you intend on supporting them until you die or keep the source handy.

TrashyMG said:
Indeed you can, and from a personal experiance if I find the person that wrote some of the web applications written in C++ here at work... I may have to cock punch them. I have to practically reverse engineer the entire thing because the source was lost long ago. So don't write web applications in C++ unless you intend on supporting them until you die or keep the source handy.
???
They wrote a C++ program and then LOST the source?
wtf

Did it fall between the couch cushions, perhaps?

lulzfish said:
TrashyMG said:
Indeed you can, and from a personal experience if I find the person that wrote some of the web applications written in C++ here at work... I may have to cock punch them. I have to practically reverse engineer the entire thing because the source was lost long ago. So don't write web applications in C++ unless you intend on supporting them until you die or keep the source handy.
???
They wrote a C++ program and then LOST the source?
wtf

Did it fall between the couch cushions, perhaps?

Truthfully I'm not sure where the source is, I just recently took over maintaining the application and server. My guess is who ever owned it prior was either laid off or transferred out of the department. This application looking at the file dates they all range between 1997-1999 so a long time has past and few know who originally owned it. It also appears they didn't keep any of the source code on the server. It was most likely on an office PC, which is long gone. Since I really hate how the old one was created and how dated it feels, I just decided to start from scratch.

Have a look at these resources:

http://pandorawiki.org/Getting_started_with_Pandora_development