Large Joystick Dead Zone In Gp2x

DaveC

Internal Development
I noticed that the stick is very stiff on the GP2X. Also the dead zone is big, too big. You have to press the stick all of the way to get anything to register in any direction. This large throw distance causes the control to be imprecise because it takes a longer time to change directions. This can be a real problem for many games. It kind of reminds me of the zodiac stick which was similar in the lack of precision.

There needs to be a mod and I think GPH should redesign the stick a bit to reduce the dead zone. The GP32 stick is MUCH better.

Have any of you guys with dev boards noticed if it would be easy to shim the switches to reduce the dead zone? I would look into it but I don't want to take it to pieces and void the warrantee. Maybe a mod can be done to improve it.

I have noticed that the screen, while noisy with lines like: ///// running through (firmware fix?) , is pretty much brighter than the GP32.

Depending on how the joystick unscrews, maybe we could make it thicker so it covers more of the dead zone?

I noticed that the stick is very stiff on the GP2X. Also the dead zone is big, too big. You have to press the stick all of the way to get anything to register in any direction. This large throw distance causes the control to be imprecise because it takes a longer time to change directions. This can be a real problem for many games. It kind of reminds me of the zodiac stick which was similar in the lack of precision.

There needs to be a mod and I think GPH should redesign the stick a bit to reduce the dead zone. The GP32 stick is MUCH better.

Have any of you guys with dev boards noticed if it would be easy to shim the switches to reduce the dead zone? I would look into it but I don't want to take it to pieces and void the warrantee. Maybe a mod can be done to improve it.

I have noticed that the screen, while noisy with lines like: ///// running through (firmware fix?) , is pretty much brighter than the GP32.
Zodiac one? This sounds like a completely different problem than the zodiac is suffering from ;).
Still, sad to here. I'm quite glad I didn't preorder a GP2X, there has been lots and lots of annoying problems which need to be fixed before I get one. Won't take too long for GPH to do it, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I already made a post about it dave, its buried somewhere on this board. It should be possible to fix it with a mod.

Stick changing shouldn't be hard, I think.
And modding it to make the deadzone smaller also shouldn't be too hard.

Though I don't think it's that bad. The GP32 stick always has been too responsive for me, I like the stiffer gp2x stick better, to be honest.

Though I don't think it's that bad. The GP32 stick always has been too responsive for me, I like the stiffer gp2x stick better, to be honest.

I agree - I can't even reproduce this 'dead-zone' effect so I can't really comprehend what the problem is. After using it a bit I prefer it to the GP32 - convex pad and all.

I can barely go into the dead zone, and I have to think consciously to do it. Normally I just press all the way; it's a very small stick.

I noticed that the stick is very stiff on the GP2X.  Also the dead zone is big, too big.  You have to press the stick all of the way to get anything to register in any direction.  This large throw distance causes the control to be imprecise because it takes a longer time to change directions.  This can be a real problem for many games.  It kind of reminds me of the zodiac stick which was similar in the lack of precision. 

There needs to be a mod and I think GPH should redesign the stick a bit to reduce the dead zone.  The GP32 stick is MUCH better.

Have any of you guys with dev boards noticed if it would be easy to shim the switches to reduce the dead zone?  I would look into it but I don't want to take it to pieces and void the warrantee.  Maybe a mod can be done to improve it.

Zodiac one? This sounds like a completely different problem than the zodiac is suffering from ;).
Still, sad to here. I'm quite glad I didn't preorder a GP2X, there has been lots and lots of annoying problems which need to be fixed before I get one. Won't take too long for GPH to do it, though...

It is not a "bug" or defect it is the way the joystick is designed. Even if you order the unit 1 year from now it will do the same thing. It reminds me of playing on the zodiac where you had to move the stick to it's limits to register. It is a different problem but feels the same. This terribly sloppy control led me to sell the zodiac.

The GP2X is the same way. It takes longer to change direction which results in loss of control and playability. Playing something like Pac-Man will be a chore with this stick because stuff like that requires fast direction changes. It will ruin the playability of many games.

A mod will be needed but how to do it is the question.

The deadzone isn't that huge and it should also make dragon punches easier than with standard keypads. It's a bit stiff but thats something that can be fixed easily.

You do however get a huge deadzone if you've got that fault with the stick but it should only be 1 or two directions affected

Back