LCD TV as monitor

Aries

Still Fresh
Considering s-video as the best video-out we got, anyone have suggestions of a good LCD TV with s-video input...on a budget? How viable the 800x480 resolution would be as a desktop use? Pixel wise, could we read small text? That's my biggest concern, I want to use it as my living room computer/media player/web browser.

lowsum said:
Considering s-video as the best video-out we got, anyone have suggestions of a good LCD TV with s-video input...on a budget?
If I read your question correctly, then every single lcd tv I ever come across has S-Video input. If you live in america, Vizio is the cheapest and most affordable lcd tv brand, not great quality though. Also there are converter adaptor and boxes that can convert it to composite/component rca, but at a lost of quality.

lowsum said:
How viable the 800x480 resolution would be as a desktop use? Pixel wise, could we read small text? That's my biggest concern, I want to use it as my living room computer/media player/web browser.
That's easy, create a custom resolution of 800x480 for your computer's desktop in the video card setting and try to see if that works for you, or use 800x600 and cover the bottom 1/5th of the screen. It has the same screen and resolution as the archos 605 so you can search for "archos 605 browsing" on youtube for some better idea.

eksasol said:
lowsum said:
How viable the 800x480 resolution would be as a desktop use? Pixel wise, could we read small text? That's my biggest concern, I want to use it as my living room computer/media player/web browser.
That's easy, create a custom resolution of 800x480 for your computer's desktop in the video card setting and try to see if that works for you, or use 800x600 and cover the bottom 1/5th of the screen. It has the same screen and resolution as the archos 605 so you can search for "archos 605 browsing" on youtube for some better idea.
S-video and Composite are not capable of conveying pixel-perfect 800x480 video. It is fine for movies and most gaming, but I would not want to use it for productivity applications.

Back