Leapfrog Didj Homebrew

I know a guy who works at a government computer forensics lab, got to go to his work on "bring your kid to work day: (He has no kids). They have a linux distro, modified redhat, that has a bunch of forensics tools built in. They have a box full of live CD, when I noticed them, I politely (And tongue in cheek) asked where they had source available. Apparently, the FBI does not have to follow the rules. :p

palmertech said:
I politely (And tongue in cheek) asked where they had source available. Apparently, the FBI does not have to follow the rules. :p
You are only required to provide the source code to whomever you distribute the program. If you modify an open source program and keep it for yourself (as the FBI are surely doing) then there is no requirement to give out anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
palmertech said:
I politely (And tongue in cheek) asked where they had source available. Apparently, the FBI does not have to follow the rules. :p
Just because you make a distro of Linux does *not* mean you have to supply the code to *anyone* - you may have to supply the code of certain parts (like, say, the kernel - which is what Linux is) But you don't have to show anyone the stuff you build that runs on that kernel.

Is every program on Linux open source? No. Do you see my point?

TiVo - good luck getting their code! They have copyrights, patents, and all kinds of stuff locking their code down. But - it's a distro of Linux. And if they were breaking the law (which is a laugh, btw - the GPL is no more enforceable than any proprietary EULA) - someone (other DVR makers) would have used it to tear them down by now.

And, I seem to remember someone (I believe it was Chip) telling of the harrowing tale of the invasion of the FreeSoftwareFreaks when GPH didn't release their code fast enough. Please don't be "those guys". Ask, sure fine, but don't harass and make insane accusations.

"Well I think better will be run our own version of Linux on DIDJ.I mean some kind of own modded Linux distribution.
And then We /DIDJ homebrew community/ will have some rights."
Is this correct (by law)???

Well still no DIDJ in Europe... Is there any webshop which sells worldwide???
Or can I send somebody money for "2xDIDJ plus 2xCASE and postage to Europe" after XMAS (when it will be still not available here)???

I know it is very very early for GUI.But DIDJ have touchscreen.So what about simple and ultrasmall GUI and basic PIM applications latter.

I mean something like this:

3972.jpg

elan said:
Well still no DIDJ in Europe... Is there any webshop which sells worldwide???
Or can I send somebody money for "2xDIDJ plus 2xCASE and postage to Europe" after XMAS (when it will be still not available here)???
They are popping up on eBay. Take a look there.

Looks like Leapfrog got sloppy protecting Didj from homebrew. So the only obstacle left would be an external storage device.

chad78 said:
Just because you make a distro of Linux does *not* mean you have to supply the code to *anyone* - you may have to supply the code of certain parts (like, say, the kernel - which is what Linux is) But you don't have to show anyone the stuff you build that runs on that kernel.
Is every program on Linux open source? No. Do you see my point?

And, I seem to remember someone (I believe it was Chip) telling of the harrowing tale of the invasion of the FreeSoftwareFreaks when GPH didn't release their code fast enough. Please don't be "those guys". Ask, sure fine, but don't harass and make insane accusations.
your assertions are correct. they do not have to release the source to everyone. only those that they distribute a product to. as i own 2 Didj units, i am entitled to receive copies of all source licensed under the GPL and/or other compatible licenses. In addition, my request was _only_ for the GPL material. the firmware does appear to contain several applications not licensed under GPL. those i don't care about at all. SInce i am also a copyright holder of material used in the linux kernel for ARM devices as well as NAND flash,which they are using both, and portions of busybox, i am well within my rights to demand compliance with the GPL.

prpplague

There is "MEDIA CARTRIGE" with 64MB... som maybe in future can be developed some kind of DEV-CART with Micro-SD card reader...

Something like this... on Wonderswan called Wonderwitch:
Wonderwitch_cartridge1.jpg

elan said:
There is "MEDIA CARTRIGE" with 64MB... som maybe in future can be developed some kind of DEV-CART with Micro-SD card reader...

Something like this... on Wonderswan called Wonderwitch:
Wonderwitch_cartridge1.jpg

i've already disassembled one of the carts. it has a standard OTP nand flash device on it. the cartridge interface does have more lines than are needed to interface to the nand flash, so i suspect we have some GPIO's to work with. if that is the case, we can do a bitbanged SPI interface to SD/MMC cards. worst case, you can use a xD card as a replacement for the OTP nand flash. the Leapster2 has a SD card socket so i suspect that those features are available on the Didj as well.

Chip said:
palmertech said:
You are only required to provide the source code to whomever you distribute the program. If you modify an open source program and keep it for yourself (as the FBI are surely doing) then there is no requirement to give out anything.

Thanks for the clarification, Chip! TBH, I am somewhat unfamiliar with the terms of the GPL, and I suspect that some of the lab people must have been as well. ;) Surprisingly, most of them are mac people.. :huh:

Now, there are certainly several PMPs out there that are running modified versions of linux... I have emailed a lot of these chinese companies, most give no response at all, or basically laugh in my face. :p Leapster is a big enough company that there is no way for them to completely escape this. I would try to get in touch with a Leapster head, if you can get them on the phone, I find it unlikely that they would hang up on you. :rolleyes:

NOVA -> And as empty as Sam Fishers head

Yaaay it is becouse it is brand new forum.You know.

Nightwheel said:
Any new info been found about this thing?
i've been able to upload a custom root filesystem and still using the leapfrog kernel. i've started testing the jtag however i'm having a few issues with some of the responses from the cpu. i'm still looking for the console uart lines. i've created a custom cart with an xD card but i've not been able to get the leapfrog provided kernel to recognize it. SFLC has started an inquiry into the GPL compliance for the LeapFrog products. it appears to be a pretty robust system with the exception of the quirk cartridge physical format, i expect it will be a few months before LeapFrog realizes that SFLC means business and they release the kernel source.

prpplague

palmertech said:
Now, there are certainly several PMPs out there that are running modified versions of linux... I have emailed a lot of these chinese companies, most give no response at all, or basically laugh in my face. :p Leapster is a big enough company that there is no way for them to completely escape this. I would try to get in touch with a Leapster head, if you can get them on the phone, I find it unlikely that they would hang up on you. :rolleyes:
SFLC speciality is enforcement of GPL and related licenses via copyright laws. they've already taken on and settle with a number of companies including Verizon:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2008/m...usybox-verizon/

Back