Left nub losing right calibration

fr4n

Still Fresh
I've had my Pandora for a few days now and everything is great, except for an issue with the left nub out of the box. Moving the mouse cursor to the left, up or down is fine, but movement to the right is erratic.

The speed varies. Extended calibration dances might bring it up to (close to) full speed, but the movement slows down over time and sometimes even stops completely. Repeatedly resetting the nub makes no noticeable difference.

As an aside, while continuously moving the cursor from left to right and back across the screen to calibrate it also seems as if, when the cursor is travelling to the right, it accelerates once it passes the middle of the screen. This could be the calibration kicking in, I suppose.

I doubt this is related to mouse acceleration settings as ED suggested in this post, since the other three directions are OK.

Are there any suggestions to fix this or is the nub a dud?

Updated with some results from op_test_inputs:

• The highest value when pushing the nub all the way to right is ~ 27 units.
  • Holding the nub at this initial position of ~ 27 will snap the cursor to the maximum of 32 units.
  • The cursor seems to jump back slightly before stopping at its furthest position, although this is subjective observation on my part.
  • Unbearably slow mouse movement corresponds to a value of ~ 8 units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically this is a bump... :unsure:

After just rebooting my Pandora moving the left nub to the right caused the cursor to move to the LEFT! It took three or four nub resets to get the cursor to move in the correct direction again.

Update: After a second reboot the same thing happened, but the nub recovered after a few persistent pushes to the right

Could there be some dirt in the nub or something?

I felt like my left nub was busted too at first. Sluggish movement and sometimes struggling to get it to move left. But Craig and ED mentioned something about the nub's auto calibration, and it got me to thinking that maybe I was using them too early. On a normal PC just because the desktop is visible, it doesnt mean the computer is ready to use, sometimes there are still things being cranked up. SO I started waiting a few seconds after the desktop appeared before using the nubs and it's gotten better. The left nub still feels a like it scrapes but it doesn't fight me anymore like it did.

So I took the plunge and did some Pandora surgery over the weekend to have a look at the left nub.

I am pretty sure the root cause of these issues was a dry solder joint, which I think I fixed.

Unfortunately, I can't verify this fully , because my LCD cable didn't survive the operation. :(

I had disconnected the cable to prevent undue stress on it when flipping the PCB back. After reassembly to test the nub, the display was dodgy (very dark, missing colours, etc). I gave up after a few attempts to reseat the cable in case the fragile ZIF connector broke <EDIT>, which has left the display not turning on at all. After all these attempts the display didn't turn on at all.</EDIT>

End result: an email to OP requesting (voided warranty) repair.

So I took the plunge and did some Pandora surgery over the weekend to have a look at the left nub.

I am pretty sure the root cause of these issues was a dry solder joint, which I think I fixed.

Unfortunately, I can't verify this fully , because my LCD cable didn't survive the operation. :(

I had disconnected the cable to prevent undue stress on it when flipping the PCB back. After reassembly to test the nub, the display was dodgy (very dark, missing colours, etc). I gave up after a few attempts to reseat the cable in case the fragile ZIF connector broke, which has left the display not turning on at all.

End result: an email to OP requesting (voided warranty) repair. <_<

Let this be a lesson kids. Don't try this at home.

Ouch dude, really sorry.

Not to piss on your already terrible situation, but I was having identical symptoms, and it had to do with the order of directions in which I performed my calibration after a bootup.

Short version, after bootup, moving the device right, then another direction usually fubared the left nub moving right for that session.

Moving it UP, LEFT, or DOWN, then other directions consistently works.

Again, really sorry. :( Hope you get it back soon.

I had disconnected the cable to prevent undue stress on it when flipping the PCB back. After reassembly to test the nub, the display was dodgy (very dark, missing colours, etc). I gave up after a few attempts to reseat the cable in case the fragile ZIF connector broke, which has left the display not turning on at all.
I did the same when I fixed my LCD cable. A perfectly cut piece of card stock and some electrical tape and it was back to perfect working order.

Again, really sorry. :( Hope you get it back soon.

Thanks. :) I haven't sent it away yet. Might try WizardStan's idea first.

I did the same when I fixed my LCD cable. A perfectly cut piece of card stock and some electrical tape and it was back to perfect working order.

Where did you put the card? And did you have any problems with the depth of the cable in the connector?

Where did you put the card? And did you have any problems with the depth of the cable in the connector?
I just slid the cable back into it's position and put the card exactly where the connector used to be, then taped it down. Toped it with another card so it would also press up against the case a little for that touch of extra support.

Oh, yes, I seem to recall the little flappy thing on your connector broke off...

Oh, is that not what happened to yours, resulting in the black screen? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

No worries. Have just re-read that post and I can see where the confusion crept in. :rolleyes:

No, the connector is still in one piece, but the screen only works if the connector is open. :p

Got a blister on my finger pushing and prodding, but no amount of fiddling allowed me to close the connector.

I have officially given up and my Pandora should be in Newcastle by Monday.

Back