Pandora Legend of Pandora

quadcricket

Very Active Member
Legend of Pandora is a basic Legend of Zelda inspired game. Nowhere near as advanced however. It's designed to be small and very limited. (A restriced color pallet etc.)

Below is a screenshot. --v

LoP.png

I have added it to github as an open source project: https://gitlab.com/quadcricket/legend-of-pandora

ANY support, even a nice word or two for motivation, is appreciated.

THANK YOU!

PS: I am still learning git so bear with me. As I've mentioned I am very new to all of this.

Last edited:
Looks ok.

What is the scenario ?
Well, all I had in mind was to do a text-scroll plot like the original LoZ.

Pandora is in trouble, and you the hero (played as Ed) must save the day by overcoming trials. Mainly the board trolls (and King Troll), Count VanFire and his bats, and finally Tempus, the time genie and his rats. When all trials are overcome then you may collect all of the pieces of the Pandora "Force" and assemble them to save the day. 

I thought it would be fun to do obvious nods to the history of Pandora in making a game for the Pandora itself. If the community joins in to work on the game then it will be a real treat indeed. 

Which format do you plan to use for the music?
Right now the files are wav. Whatever SDL_mixer supports works since it's implimented.
It would be my first time, but would you mind me contributing some music in ogg or mp3?

I play oozens of Instruments including some funny ones which may fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably want to work a little on splitting your source up in separate files, isolating functionality. Having one giant wall of code doesn't not help readability.

* linked source file is for a game I ported with h4xxel.

if there's no volcano, no flaming cars and no craiginator I'd be disapointed!

If you want to keep the size small, a softsynth or MODs might be good choices.

mod is supported, I like mod a lot.

It would be my first time, but would you mind me contributing some music in ogg or mp3?

music would be awesome, the game is a Zelda clone so a retro sound would be preferable. I could support ogg but would most likely conveert the file to wav. If you want to be super-awesome you could check out MOD and retro tools like milky tracker.
You probably want to work a little on splitting your source up in separate files, isolating functionality. Having one giant wall of code doesn't not help readability.

* linked source file is for a game I ported with h4xxel.

I agree completely. I need to get comfortable with separating the code. I currently code in vim and would have to learn the gcc command to add the files. I will check out the source when I get to a computer.

Nice project.

Potential source of game art and sound could be http://opengameart.org
I've checked them out before but didn't see anything that matched the LLoZ art style well. Thanks for the link.

Creating original project for Pandora/Pyra first, next on maintream hardware could be great to give more visibility
Those were my thoughts exactly. I've even got some interest in using the game towards gameduino. I personally would like to see the game on Pyra/gp2x as well before trying a more difficult platform.

In the game TODO there is a boss named Count VanFire, Falling rocks to indicate a volcano, and a passed out craig where you get health from a bottle he dropped. :)

Tempus is Craig?
Tempus represents time. Passed out character next to an open bottle would be craig if we can get to it.

I would only play this game if you make Tempus Craig so I beat the $h!T out of him :)
Considering the limitations of this game engine I'm sure even if you could fight a craig character it wouldn't give much satisfaction. Maybe a streets of rage clone would be in the communities future to get out some of that agression. ;)

music would be awesome, the game is a Zelda clone so a retro sound would be preferable. I could support ogg but would most likely conveert the file to wav. If you want to be super-awesome you could check out MOD and retro tools like milky tracker.
Oh, you strictly want computer generated/synthetical music. Count me out then.

Klumpen, just as an aside: You don't happen to have any of your stuff up on soundcloud or something like that?

If you can subtle throw in the bank issues, Packages of parts delivered to the wrong house and Chinese new year delays too that would be awesome.

Klumpen, just as an aside: You don't happen to have any of your stuff up on soundcloud or something like that?
No, I currently only play in sessions and sing in concerts, no recordings atm, maybe later. I am more building than playing instruments these days.

I like my music alive and overall the real thing.

Back