Lenovo - WTF?

www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/8e1qkv/lenovo_banned_bootloader_unlocking_after/

Lenovo banned bootloader unlocking after LineageOS release

214 points•62 comments•submitted 18 hours ago by 98432uhefbdfir to r/LineageOS
They are also censoring everything on social networks, their own forums, don’t respond to any request. Even post on Lenovo reddit is not visible reddit!

Phone comes with android 6.0, it’s not even possible to upgrade to their latest stock ROM (7.0 from 2017) because they shut every connection to server originating within phone.

See how many people are complaining about it on their forum site

I guess the bootloader is locked because China is rolling out the mandatory surveillance application called Jingwang (Web Cleansing) to “prevent access to terrorist information.” This doesn't mean that phones sold outside China will have that, but it presumably does mean their government requires them to strictly control the OSs that can be allowed on a given model of phone. And, of course, they can't talk about government restrictions ("slandering the state") hence the censoring, even on Reddit.

hm interesting, if thats indeed the reason we will see it from other companies soon too ...

Lenovo make phones? Everyone seems to be at it these days, from your apples and samsungs to little chinese firms like oneplus and zte and maybe huawei (although one of two of those might be south korean, I lose track), but I'd not heard what lenovo were up to other than making IBMs old laptops.

Motorola fortunately appears to be still sending out unlock codes, though. Let's hope stays that way.

I'm not sure quite what you mean by that, but apparently the motorola mods are quite an interesting approach to modularity.
I was under the impression Motorola phones have (always?) been masterful at blasting the cancer, into people's bodies.

Are their phones still cancer master blaster™ phones?
Do you mean wireless power output is higher than other phones (towards the user due to less shielding)? AFAIK, all are radiation poison devices...

Are iPhones the big bad now all of a sudden? I mean, I'm not a fan of them due to their walled garden design, and their low iFixit scores, but I wasn't aware they were specifically more noisy in the RF than other phones. I'd have thought your wifi router would be responsible for more wattage dissipated across important parts of your body, but it's fair to say you don't usually spend any time during the day with one of those strapped to your head so perhaps the comparison is invalid.

Anyway, I do wonder how bluetooth headphones and headpieces compare given they're usually situated about as close to your ear canal as it's possible to get, so if there were any localised heating effects in play I'd expect a significant number of people to experience clicks when using them, and as far as I can tell no reviews have mentioned that that I've seen.

But at the end of the day, even 2.4GHz bluetooth and wifi is nowhere near the frequencies of ionising rays like xrays. And anyway, the worst source for non-localised high energy radiation on most days is the sun - visible light is radiation centred on about 550THz, which is about 2000 times the power of wifi for peaks of the same amplitude, and powerful enough to make your skin turn brown on a hot day!

Edit: I think the post mentioning iPhones has been deleted while I was composing this post. Never mind.

AFAIK, all are radiation poison devices
As far as I know there's no evidence that non-ionizing radiation is in any way harmful to our bodies in prolonged exposure.
High enough power in short exposure can do damage, yeah, but not the cancer causing kind of damage.

Reactions: ___
https://www.rfsafe.com/
[doublepost=1524847055,1524846807][/doublepost]
Are iPhones the big bad now all of a sudden? I mean, I'm not a fan of them due to their walled garden design, and their low iFixit scores, but I wasn't aware they were specifically more noisy in the RF than other phones. I'd have thought your wifi router would be responsible for more wattage dissipated across important parts of your body, but it's fair to say you don't usually spend any time during the day with one of those strapped to your head so perhaps the comparison is invalid.

Anyway, I do wonder how bluetooth headphones and headpieces compare given they're usually situated about as close to your ear canal as it's possible to get, so if there were any localised heating effects in play I'd expect a significant number of people to experience clicks when using them, and as far as I can tell no reviews have mentioned that that I've seen.

But at the end of the day, even 2.4GHz bluetooth and wifi is nowhere near the frequencies of ionising rays like xrays. And anyway, the worst source for non-localised high energy radiation on most days is the sun - visible light is radiation centred on about 550THz, which is about 2000 times the power of wifi for peaks of the same amplitude, and powerful enough to make your skin turn brown on a hot day!

Edit: I think the post mentioning iPhones has been deleted while I was composing this post. Never mind.
Iphones have very high SAR levels compared to a lot of other models of phone. Ditto Moto.

Back