Librem 5 phone by Purism

hns

Quote from the article: "The company has a long way to go to produce a competitive smartphone, but for an idea that started as a crowdsourced project two years ago, Purism has made an incredible amount of progress."
Well, the idea started in 2006 with the OpenMoko and Librem5 and PinePhone are the third wave of attempts to sustain it, after the two earlier ones failed.
(First wave: Neo1973, Neo Freerunner; second wave: GTA04, Neo900).

FBnil

There is 1 impostor among us.

• 3mm taller to fix the antenna problem
  • mold is now open (but can't find the files for it)
  • Release is, why not, in 2 months... (sounds familiar?) I kid you not:

Based on current projections, we will start shipping Evergreen to customers mid-to-late November 2020
Based on this, it is still a mistery if the Librem comes before Pyra (although my bets are on Pyra)

λ the β-Redex Reducer

β-Redex Reducing Member
Librem 5 seems pretty cool. It's even more libre than the Pyra.

I haven't followed PinePhone development but on the order page it says "Estimate dispatch in early November 2020". I guess in 2 months is the release date for all GNU/Linux devices. Just 2 more months and then every GNU/Linux device ever will be released. The problem is, 2 months in the future never comes because it always stays the present. But maybe there is a timeline where they're 2 months ahead of us and MS, Google, and Apple are dead; everyone uses GNU/Linux; and RMS looks like a greek sculpture of the ideal male physique.