Librem 5 phone by Purism

Okay,
Please specify, how long it takes for GTA04 to open a youtube.com
Is it able to play videos on youtube ? on what resolution ?
You know, youtube.com is normal every day website.

EDIT:

Can you also specify if GTA04 is available for purchase and what is the price.

I think that the GTA 04 is approximately as fast as the Classic Pandora. Afaik it is not available any more and the PyraPhone is planned as an successor

Okay,

EDIT:

Can you also specify if GTA04 is available for purchase and what is the price.
Well, why should I disprove your claim?

Basically the GTA04 hardware is similar to the 1GHz OpenPandora so they are comparable in speed. Can't you watch youtube videos on the Pandora?

Anyways, I was curious and have quickly installed firefox and did run
Code:
firefox https://youtu.be/mH-PYtM1tBA  -height 640 -width 480
on standard X11 (no acceleration or optimization of any type!).
Takes approx. 15 seconds to make FireFox appear, 15 more seconds to load the page (title) and a total of ca. 60 seconds to start playing the video (at a slow frame rate and unfortunately firefox assumes a bigger screen so that only part of the video is visible).

Is this a benchmark for anything? No. It is plain X11 which can be replaced by Qt. It is not optimized for NEON. There is no video decoding engine involved and I have not installed any extensions. And the +25% speed kick of the processor is not yet active (which probably makes 45 seconds out of 60). But it is enough to disprove your unfounded claim of 15 minutes.

GTA04 price was approx. 400-500€ some years ago. But is only available second hand. Well, not available because owners do not sell them :)
It is also not possible to build them any more. Some key components are nowhere available.

This is why I propose the GTA15 / PyraPhone as a successor which would even be Pyra compatible. But as to some extent proven by the reactions here, there is no big demand for such a device (unless it gets a keyboard - but hey, we already get the Pyra!). An without at least some demand, there is nobody to finance it.

Basically the GTA04 hardware is similar to the 1GHz OpenPandora so they are comparable in speed. Can't you watch youtube videos on the Pandora?

Anyways, I was curious and have quickly installed firefox and did run
Code:
firefox https://youtu.be/mH-PYtM1tBA  -height 640 -width 480
on standard X11 (no acceleration or optimization of any type!).
Takes approx. 15 seconds to make FireFox appear, 15 more seconds to load the page (title) and a total of ca. 60 seconds to start playing the video (at a slow frame rate and unfortunately firefox assumes a bigger screen so that only part of the video is visible).

Is this a benchmark for anything? No. It is plain X11 which can be replaced by Qt. It is not optimized for NEON. There is no video decoding engine involved and I have not installed any extensions. And the +25% speed kick of the processor is not yet active (which probably makes 45 seconds out of 60). But it is enough to disprove your unfounded claim of 15 minutes.

GTA04 price was approx. 400-500€ some years ago. But is only available second hand. Well, not available because owners do not sell them :)
It is also not possible to build them any more. Some key components are nowhere available.

This is why I propose the GTA15 / PyraPhone as a successor which would even be Pyra compatible. But as to some extent proven by the reactions here, there is no big demand for such a device (unless it gets a keyboard - but hey, we already get the Pyra!). An without at least some demand, there is nobody to finance it.
How is it possible to express interest in the PyraPhone?

But as to some extent proven by the reactions here, there is no big demand for such a device (unless it gets a keyboard - but hey, we already get the Pyra!). An without at least some demand, there is nobody to finance it.
I might be interested in a pyra phone going forward. If there were one available I'd definitely buy one over a librem phone, but I'm still considering reflashing my 8110 with open source components at present, so I'm not ready for anything like that personally just yet. The fact that few other people seemed enthused by the idea of a pyra phone at this present era anyway might show the world's not ready for it just yet though in general, I dunno.

TBH, my Pandora was shockingly awful at YouTube, and internet in general. It was a rebirth edition though; and think I had even set the clock speed to 900MHz instead of 800MHz. I can't really remember now. But yeah, I gave up trying to use the internet on it.

That said, I certainly hope that the Pyra is certainly able to handle internet and YouTube much better.

IIRC, I was really interested in the PyraPhone concept, but last plans I remember used the large Pyra screen, resulting in quite a large phone, which I wasn't so keen on.

at first my 1ghz rebirth pandora sucked with wlan too, later on i did a fullflash with the latest os release and it suddenly worked verry well, even better than the external wlan nano-plug i used before.
using thetube.pnd youtube works ok for me here.

on pyraphone,
i *really* would love to see the pyraphone getting alive, but i nearly don't use phones at all these days.
this is somewhat sad, because i always wanted to have a real, trusty *free* phone in the past and now i'm using only text for electronic communication.
in the 90's, when i had this large siemens "bone" phone, i dreamt of a phone in a watch, now phones in watches are a reality and imo the worst interception/tracking nightmare i can think of. ok, an implanted non removable esim would be even worth...
it's the industry/state actors that lack moral standards and integrity, to not record everything and make money of it etc.
so i really dislike to speak freely via voice into an electronic device these days.
sometimes it's unavoidable and for these occasions i have an 30€ "dumbphone", which i use 10 times a year or so. ;)

I would buy one PyraPhone for sure.

Since I found out the GTA04 existed I always wanted to have one and get rid of the Android phones that I always use.

One GTA15/PyraPhone without keyboard but with its case and everything else would be the perfect phone for me.

I do not think there will be a big market out there for this device but I wanted to believe it was big enough to make it a reality. Disapointed to read I was wrong :'(

Librem 5 OS and the Pyra OS are both based on Debian, right? So any groundbreaking apps from each ecosystem should be portable to the other. (Apart from stuff that's exclusively ARM64, but that should be very rare)

That doesn't say anything about demand for a PyraPhone, but at least the software won't be a competition.

Don't worry about ThinkPad. He's been a major source of negativity for months and when he was finally formally called out on it and told exactly why no one liked his behaviour, instead of stepping back, contemplating his actions, and trying to be a better person, he went even harder. Expect him to get a lot worse as he death spirals into eventual obscurity.

Well instead of source of negativity I can call it a source of facts.
Librem 5 is the true FOSS endorsed phone and that is a fact. like it or not.
Pyra phone does not exist and it will take years to be on the same level as Librem 5 both software and hardware wise.
The GTA device is outdated by today standards.

What shall I do ? Cancel my 2 units of Librem 5 and get Pyra phone with resistive display? or GTA04 ? No thanks.
It will be great if there are more options like Pyra Phone, or GTA 05 or something, but I cannot see that happen in the near future.

So If you want true linux FOSS endorsed phone that values your privacy, librem 5 is the way to go.
I cannot understand why you people get so mad about it !

Pyra phone does not exist and it will take years to be on the same level as Librem 5 both software and hardware wise.
BTW: there was a guy who had demonstrated some months ago that Phosh (the Librem 5 software stack) can run on the GTA04... http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2018-December/007889.html

And PyraPhone hardware is a Pyra in a different form factor. Prototypes exist. Only plastics case has not been designed.

If there is someone taking the initiative to form an interested community, collects money, hires somebody to design a case and moulds, a working PyraPhone can be demonstrated faster than you may think.

Which isn't actually that bad taking in account any youtube page takes from 8 to 9 seconds to be interactive:

Luckily ThinkPad didn't mention cnn as an every day website...:

Fun fact, guess what webpage loads in 4,3s :D....:

But hey, not only the yankees stack their webs with bloat... I guess german efficiency does not apply when it comes to web optimization...

Okay,

Moral: don't blame the hardware, but some ruthless companies. It doesn't matter how fast a device is if some company decides your time is worthless. And yes, there are some webs out there, with a lot of multimedia content, which are really fast to surf in smartphones, but these usually belong to companies that don't sell your time and that care about the user. You want the Pyra to be faster? Begin complaining to the companies that run your every day websites.

Reactions here are not realistic. There are about 30 or so active members here and over 1000 preorders...

Damn it I just want a modern take on the n900. A little bigger, with the pop out stand, slider keyboard and the best touchscreen I've ever used.

Damn it I just want a modern take on the n900. A little bigger, with the pop out stand, slider keyboard and the best touchscreen I've ever used.
Yes... slider keyboard would be nice. But you may remember how much pain it was for ED to develop a good non-slider keyboard for the Pyra. That is the reason why I do not even dream of designing and building a slider keyboard.
[doublepost=1570084450,1570084303][/doublepost]
Reactions here are not realistic. There are about 30 or so active members here and over 1000 preorders...
Agreed. This is why I suggest that someone takes care of doing announcements and collecting preorders, i.e. organizes some kickstarter or whatever.

Well I want my phone to be able to play youtube videos and open web pages.
GTA 04 is unable to do that without crippling my experience. The screen and the resolution are too small, and god knows what is the battery life with UMTS or WiFi on.
Oh wait, if I am unable to open web pages I don`t need WiFi and Mobile Internet. :D

I don`t care about physical keyboard on a smartphone. These days the mobile GUIs are advanced enough.

So Librem 5 is the way to go.
If someone wants to use Pyra as a phone, Pyra Phone, Neo900, GTA04 or whatever, I wish him good luck. It is his choice and I could not care less. xD

There is also a pine phone
https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/

It is still not there yet but they are working on it.

Back