Beta Linphone

trust that if I get bluetooth audio working, I will post a full tutorial on how I did it.

I KNOW that the system is figuring it out on the hardware side, because when I pair the headset, I hear two beeps... one for audio in, one for audio out... when I pair the same headset to a car stereo system or boombox, I only get one beep, for audio out... so I know it's beeing properly recognized by the system... but the ALSA setup is not correct for supporting a bluetooth headset (which you'd think would be pretty easy to do, but I guess it's easy if you know exactly what to do. If someone could point me to the thread/post on either of the forums that covers installing Pandora's OS to an SD card, I can start hacking away... :D

Ordered a standard cellular headset (3.5mm) as suggested by Alerino above... will see how that works out when it gets here.

well, I was able to fix one alsa-related issue in my quest for bluetooth functionality.... I can now have more than one program with audio play nice together... line goes as such:

Code:
ipc_key 1234
ipc_key_add_uid 0
slave {

was searching the google-net for all types of .asoundrc configurations and came across this... hope it helps others out around here... not sure if I should post it on it's own or not... was thinking of starting an "ALSA Config" thread just to focus in tweaking alsa till we are all able to get what we want out of it...

Alerino said:
then buy a nokia headset (four conductor trrs, not iphone compliant)...

4 conductor trrs? All the off-the-shelf stuff is 3, right? I've tried 2 different headsets from local stores and they don't play the audio correctly ("front" channel is muffled, so most songs don't have vocals)... is ebay my only option? (will be looking around for myself, but figured I'd ask)... for such an open-sourced device, a LOT of the hardware seems very proprietary and hard to comply with on an end-user level...

Last edited by a moderator:
so if it's iphone compatible, it's a no-go? I've tried two headsets to date (with the 3 black strips) that are iphone compatible and I get horrible sound... It's like the front channel is missing (kind of like what it sounds like when you take a standard track and use a program to remove the vocals and make it an instrumental)... I've looked at the plugs side by side (a headphone plug next to a 3 stripped headSET plug) and the stips look to be in the right places... the plugs are identical in length, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I'll most likely be purchasing a "nokia compatible" headset in the not too distant future and seeing how that plays out...

I'm suffering through this for now until I get what I'm looking for in a wired or wireless option (in the end, both)... but will post back when I try the headset that is nokia compatible (and NOT iphone compatible)... it's odd, because I have seen descriptions of headsets of 3 types: iphone compatible (some generic and usable with other phones as well, some listed iphone only), Nokia compatible (same with some designed only for nokia and some working with others) and some compatible with both along with a huge list of others... so it's slightly confusing (and a bit annoying) because I can't just go out, and buy a headset and be done with it... but I CAN do that with headphones (because the headphones I usually buy are $5 from a local store and they work great! :D

So we shall see what happens... I may just try a local Radio Shack and see what they have to offer then go from there. I'm just wondering if there really is a physical difference... maybe in the placement of the strips, but it's probably milimeters worth of difference that's causing this issue (gotta love iphone and their proprietary crap... or Nokia could be the problem... if not both) which is DEFINITELY a headache no matter how you look at it.

But I will do my best to figure it out and post back with my results... I think I'd like to get the audio out working with a proper headset so I can be sure to hear the person (not sure if it would be an issue at this point, but won't have a problem waiting it out) before I worry about the mic. I REALLY hope things like mic functionality and other little nuances that "really should already be in place" are there when HF6 comes around... would be highly annoying if not...

I think it would be a good idea to have a reference list around here somewhere posting headset brands/models that will work with the audio port on the Pandora (same might have to go with standard 1/8" microphones, as I'm not sure if the majority have the ring in the right place (especially if they are iphone compatible)... Else, it would be nice to know which Nokia models to look for in product descriptions to make sure we buy the right products...

Nothing is more of a pain than buying a product of the wrong type online... no matter how easy the return process is (which it usually isn't) it's still a large inconvenience/pain due to a small mistake. Of course, I could be asking a lot when some people will say "just google it".... but I'd rather speak candidly and be told my idea is bad than not speak at all...

I was thinking moreso along the lines of the wired headsets, ESN, vs the bluetooth ones... I'd probably expect a bluetooth INcompatibility list, because I'd expect more bt headsets to work than not (once bluetooth audio is firmly established as functional)... I hear from torpor that some stuff for ALSA needs to be built against the Pandora kernel to get the multi-device functionality that we are lacking so we can use bt audio with the Pandora... the hardware is recognized, because I have paired my headset successfully and I get two beeps when I do (one for speaker, one for mic) which I can confirm means full audio in/out pairing because when I pair with a bt audio adaptor for mp3 players (to play audio only) I get one beep (for the speakers). I get the same 2 beeps on my laptop AND desktop, so I'm pretty sure my assumption that the hardware is being recognized is correct... but there is a chance I could be wrong.... we shall see once torpor provides what we need to get ALSA capable for bt audio...

Back