Linux Codecs

it highly depends on the player/encoder
if you're going to use mplayer, you'll need to first compile the specific xvid-codec (sorry, dunno where to get koepi's build, google for it, but be sure it's the source-release for linux, most probable a *.tar.gz or *.tar.bz2)
and then you'll have to compile mplayer (mplayerhq.hu to get the sources)
there you'll have to make sure in that the ./configure says that it will compile with xvid as output-codec, that's the installation of the xvid-codec and mpalyer o.o
for codecs like divx5, rm, qt, vivo, etc. as input you'll need to get the hacked windows-versions from mplayerhq.hu and also install them before you compile mplayer (see mplayer's installation-manual)
(there are easier ways i think, but i dont know any atm, so please dont ask for a 3 click-way)

P.S.: nobody bothered with this too much and got a movie re-encoded the correct way with mplayer by now afaik, so i'd suggest to stick to vdub, especially as linux-newbie :)

Wow, very little info!

If you are using a rpm based system(as not all linux are the same) just download the mplayer rpms (or install them from cd on mandrake), or get rpms from plf online somewhere.

Mencoder will encode for gamepark, there is a 1 step command line somewhere in this forum, and mencoder comes with mplayer. If you use mandrake, you will need the newest version to get this to work, as the stock mplayer comes with a crap mencoder that doesn't support mp3, just plf the newest version.

If you dont have rpm, sorry, cant really help, you could just apt-get mplayer and it should work for debian.

Good luck.

mth411

Here is the tutorial, posted many moons ago---
From Mr. Mirko!!!

my little scrips to encode DVD -> divx 2pass

rm divx2pass.log
mencoder -o movie.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:vhq:vqmin=2:vpass=1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=128:cbr -af volume=10.1:0 -sws 2 -aspect 16:9 -vop crop=720:304:0:50,scale,lavcdeint -zoom -xy 720 -alang de -aid 0x81 PIRATESOFTHECARIBBEAN3-1.vob
rm movie.avi
mencoder -o movie.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:vhq:vqmin=2:vpass=2 -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=128:cbr -af volume=10.1:0 -sws 2 -aspect 16:9 -vop crop=720:304:0:50,scale,lavcdeint -zoom -xy 720 -alang de -aid 0x81 PIRATESOFTHECARIBBEAN3-1.vob

Back