Linux Distros

Feeg posted on May 22 2006 at 10:20 AM said:
I think you'll find that -you- chose which partitions to change/reformat.

If you want any advice regarding getting a dual boot install working, now would be a good time to ask for it.. since, you know, you're about to reinstall Windows anyway.

If you actually want to get Linux and Windows running together, wipe away those tears of frustration/impotence and partition your disk in the Linux installer, leaving a few gigs free to later set up a FAT/NTFS partition for Windows. Since you've installed Linux "many" times before, it's probably redundant for me to point out that setting up a dual boot system is much easier if you start with Linux.

On the other hand, if you aren't actually interested in learning how this stuff works (in which case why were you installing Linux in the first place?) or you already know everything you need to know (in which case why did you fu- i mean, why did one the easiest to install distrobutions go "gay" on you?) then more power to you and I'll shut up.

In parting though, I think it's probably a good idea to point out that at this stage of its development, Linux in all of its forms is really for people who are interested in taking responsibility for how their machines are set up. You know, take the time to read installation docs and stuff before they potentially fuck up the only drive on their machine. For everyone else, there's Windows, and there's nothing wrong with being a Windows user.

.. good luck on your exam.. I hope it isn't for English.
It is is english. See I missed out the capital E! I can do ok in the exams. Well fine actually. i am just too lazy to coordinate my grammar online. Anyway Yes as I said linux didnt giev me muc hinformation and I told it to format hda4 and create hda5, hda6 and hda7 but it formatted the whole extended partition.

I find it easier to install teh more complicated ones and I found this PC's patrition table confusing compared to my other one. I understand it now. Ubuntu is crappy anyway in some ways. Its very slow for me compared to gentoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on May 22 2006 at 07:44 PM said:
It is is english. See I missed out the capital E! I can do ok in the exams. Well fine actually. i am just too lazy to coordinate my grammar online. Anyway Yes as I said linux didnt giev me muc hinformation and I told it to format hda4 and create hda5, hda6 and hda7 but it formatted the whole extended partition.

I find it easier to install teh more complicated ones and I found this PC's patrition table confusing compared to my other one. I understand it now. Ubuntu is crappy anyway in some ways. Its very slow for me compared to gentoo.

*cackles* Now you're just doing it intentionally. Patrition table?

Anyway, agreed, Ubuntu is slow.. at least using the default desktop manager. Supposedly the latest version of Gnome, which will come with the next release of Ubuntu, is much faster. The comparisons I've read are mind boggling, so I'm looking forward to that. I kinda miss my snappy Blackbox under Slackware, that was fast as hell.

Unless you've got some interesting hardware, I think you should give Slackware a go, and SLAMD64 is supposed to be a lot better than it was last time I tried it. Out of the box, Slack has almost everything I've ever needed, and if you don't mind chasing deps yourself, there are plenty of .tgz packages available for recent versions of software.

I'm only making that recommendation based on the fact that you found the Gentoo install straight forward, cuz Slack has less hoops than that to jump through.. but it's still a pretty intense OS to maintain, initially.

Installing them I can do. Maintaining them I am not so good at lol I installed gentoo on this machine I am on now that does not have a weirded out partition table. lol.

trooper posted on May 22 2006 at 03:28 AM said:
DSCN3037.jpg

Trooper

That chick in the pink has nice legs.

Nova posted on May 22 2006 at 03:32 AM said:
Gets me every time :lol:
colt45ph8ro.jpg

Sam - if you have a hard time maintaining Linux installs, and don't have the time to learn how to do it by hand, choose a distro with strong package management. Debian or perhaps Gentoo like you're already running, if you get some kind of masochistic pleasure from watching GCC do its thang.

On the other hand, if you DO want to do it by hand, all it really takes is learning the tools at your disposal, like the various .tgz things in Slackware, and thinking about what you're doing before you install anything.

Ravnos posted on May 23 2006 at 02:52 AM said:
That chick in the pink has nice legs.

...I suppose he does. :unsure:

Feeg posted on May 22 2006 at 04:36 AM said:
Anyway, agreed, Ubuntu is slow.. at least using the default desktop manager. Supposedly the latest version of Gnome, which will come with the next release of Ubuntu, is much faster. The comparisons I've read are mind boggling, so I'm looking forward to that. I kinda miss my snappy Blackbox under Slackware, that was fast as hell.

I'm using the new Ubuntu release right now... the downloadable beta is very stable, I've had no issues at all (except with ATI's stupid proprietary driver that doesn't talk to my Radeon Mobile 9200 correctly... I've started just using the open source version cause it only drops my framerate by a few anyway)

And yes, I find it much faster than the old release.

Mudi posted on May 24 2006 at 07:54 AM said:
Feeg posted on May 22 2006 at 04:36 AM said:

I'm using the new Ubuntu release right now... the downloadable beta is very stable, I've had no issues at all (except with ATI's stupid proprietary driver that doesn't talk to my Radeon Mobile 9200 correctly... I've started just using the open source version cause it only drops my framerate by a few anyway)

And yes, I find it much faster than the old release.

I shall give it a try.

sam fisher said:
One, I'm not gay so shut up. I am now going to moan at you.

:ph34r: :lol:

i'm running ubuntu right now and it feels much better after switching away from the heavier desktop managers (kde/gnome) ... i'm in xfce now, need to give fluxbox another go ... if you serach the ubuntu forums there's plenty of cures for general "sluggishness" (such as firefox settings).

in my experience, even user friendly distros require some under-the-hood action, so i'll probobly switch to gentoo or slackware if i install agian. for the time being, i'll maintain what i've got :)

my current project is getting a toolchain set up. anyone running ubuntu have tips? i installed ooPo's toolchain, it seemed fine, but i haven't been able to make his tester.c. the wiki isn't much help and i haven't found anything on this forum or the ubuntu forums.

Back