Linux N3wb

SkullFire posted on Mar 22 2006 at 08:44 PM said:
what does it do when you try to boot it? do you just get command line or nothing?

I get command line, but even the HALT and TERM commands (or whatever, I tried to many different things to remember, but you get my point!) and that won't work... much. It's starts to terminate, but then the TERM program crashes >_<

I'd like to know what happened, but I'm not gonna fix it. I didn't do much with it, and I'll be glad to re-install it.

Oh, and I don't understand how to install programs... could someone teach me? I downloaded the Debian version of Gens and a couple other programs and emulators, but I just couldn't get them to run for the life of me! Even SNES9x, which I had running when I used Red Hat a year ago!

-SkullFire

PS: I used WINE because I likes my GoldWave! I will not separate with it!
well use apt-get / synaptic to install programs

to install gens I recommend compileing from source, you are going to need the standard packages I think

so install gcc, automake, autoconf, and a shit load of others, someone should know it on here (use synaptic for this)

to compile from source you cd to the directory, type ./configure, if that went well, type make, and then you can go to the folder and test the program then sudo make install

Last edited by a moderator:
Compiling and installing are my main issues right now. I do have multiple versions of Gens (for no reason, they were just available at the time... I prefer SNES over Genesis... but that's off topic.) I have the .DEB format, the Win32 and Source format, and I believe I also have DOS and BeOS Ports.

The synaptic confuses me. I don't understand how to install with it. Maybe that's my main issue right now? Also, before I end this post, I AM re-installing Ubuntu, and I want to know if there are any software/freeware suggestions anyone has for me to try on it. I'd like a media player that can play my stash of 15.5 GB of MP3s, and I know XMMS is great for that! :) But, I couldn't figure out how to install the .DEB file...

Thanks
-SkullFire :ph34r:

well just right click things on you want to install and select "Mark for Installation" and if it has anything pop up just click mark and then click apply and it goes

also you should open your back ports

the wiki on www.ubuntu.com has basically EVERYTHING you need to know how to do

I also recommend Amarok for music, imho it's the best player ever

Okays, I'll give them a try... as soon as I put it on the network again! And I'll look up yur media player. Anybody know any other good programs for ubuntu? maybe some games or movie makers...?

SkullFire posted on Mar 24 2006 at 07:36 PM said:
Okays, I'll give them a try... as soon as I put it on the network again! And I'll look up yur media player. Anybody know any other good programs for ubuntu? maybe some games or movie makers...?

Games and do all of them
================
Action
-------
abuse_sdl
bomberclone
chromium
cylindrix
d2x
heroes
maelstrom
noiz2sa
rrootage
trackballs

Arcade
--------
briquolo
lbreakout2
ppracer
rocksndiamonds
smclone
supertux
xrick

Board
-------
ccgo
gnubg
gnugo
qgo

Emulation
-----------
advancemame
dosbox
fakenes
gens
gxmame
hugo
mupen64
mupen64-blight-input
mupen64-glide64
openmsx
qmamecat
raine
virtualjaguar
visualboyadvance
xmame
xmess
zsnes

Engines
---------
exult
freesci
sarien
scummvm

FPS(better ones for better cards)
--------------------------------------
alephone
doomlegacy
duke3d
quake2-icculus
rott
uhexen2

Puzzle
-------
enigma
fish-fillets
flobopuyo
neverball
pingus
toppler

Rougelike
-----------
angband
zangband

RPG(+online)
-----
eternal-lands
xu4

Simulation
------------
openttd

Sports
--------
foobillard

Stratergy
-----------
freeciv
uqm
wesnoth

LOL Have fun

To install the .deb file, go into the command line and run dpkg -i your_deb_with_a-stupidly-long.filename.deb
I just tried that nad it told me I need superuser privilege... >_< I'm confused!

Oh, and thanks for the list of games Cyclops!

Yeah, superuser privilege means root privilege. You either need to be logged in as root or you need to have the necessary privileges set up with sudo. If you do, then just run this: sudo dpkg -i your_deb_with_a-stupidly-long.filename.deb. It'll ask you for a password in all likelihood and you can go from there.

Ravnos posted on Mar 24 2006 at 09:50 PM said:
Yeah, superuser privilege means root privilege. You either need to be logged in as root or you need to have the necessary privileges set up with sudo. If you do, then just run this: sudo dpkg -i your_deb_with_a-stupidly-long.filename.deb. It'll ask you for a password in all likelihood and you can go from there.
the password will be the password for your account, same one that you type for Synaptic, but I highly recommed you use synaptic / apt-get when you can instead of typing in the command to install debs, of course if you have to, then yeah

also get easy ubuntu (google is your friend) for some reason I had to type in sudo easyubuntu, the shortcut didn't work for me, oh wells

edit: also for games check out Battle for Wesnoth (believe just named wesnorth in apt-get / synaptic)

also check out the wiki and fourms for ubuntu, it has a shit load of infomation that you are asking, of course you can ask here if you don't understand those guides

Ubuntu disables the root user for security reasons, but you can use sudo as Ravnos said. You can also go into Utilities->Root Terminal and do the command from there without the sudo.

Well... I'd go to the Ubuntu Wiki... but I'm getting good enough answers here! :p I did finally get some programs installed via apt / synaptic. So that's all easy for me! Now, I'm gonna try the dpkg. I've got RPM installed, but I don't know how to use it >_<

-Thanks --SkullFire/

At the risk of sounding too hardcore, I have to say the best way to learn linux, at least what worked for me.

Do Not dual boot.

When you're first starting out, things get really obnoxious at times and if you dual boot, you're going to get annoyed and go back to windows. I did it 4 times when I was trying to learn.

Then Win2K screwed up on me AGAIN and I finally said "screw it", wiped the whole drive, and booted solely Slackware (version 7 at the time).

This was 4 years ago, and I'm still running linux-pure (except for the FreeBSD server)

Aha! DPKG works! Sudo's now my best friend... any other recommendations?

-THX

SkullFire :ph34r:

SkullFire posted on Mar 28 2006 at 04:30 PM said:
Aha! DPKG works! Sudo's now my best friend... any other recommendations?

-THX

SkullFire :ph34r:
well you can use alien to convert rpms to deb I believe, not sure how to do it, never use it

also make sure you have your back ports open (ubuntu wiki tells you how, and explains what they are)

Back