Linux on Android

Doombox

Did you know they are a couple of installers for linux for android ? The ones I saw installed are for debian and ubuntu. Have anyone on here tried them before ? Did you like it ? Just curious

First tried a couple of years back on a hd2 and tryed them again not long back on a galaxy note, unfortunately the ones your talking about overlay on top of android there not a complete android replacement so they don't run very fast. And you only have access to the arm repo so a lot won't run.  Its still a cool geeky concept and having access to gimp and other programs can be usefull.  Also the mouse pointer is a little off swell. Worth installing to see if you like it or not nether the less.

I have Lubunutu running on my Asus TF300T and find it to be less than spectacular. You're VNCing into the X session so there is quite a bit of lag. It's a nifty toy, but I don't see doing anything too productive in it, and you certainly aren't going to play any fast-paced games. Some specific devices (Like the Acer Transformer tabs) have bootloaders for Arch, Debian, and Ubuntu. While I haven't gotten to try this yet, it's on my to-do list. 

Installed ARCH with XFCE last night in native mode, and boy what a difference. Amazingly smooth. Better than an Atom based netbook for sure. Not much in the software repos though. 

With Arch, you have access to more programs than with any other distribution :)

Use AUR :) (I suggest using Packer :) )

Back