Linux suggestions?

Kumaki

Hello guys! Here's another questions topic from me :p

1. Does anyone knows the owner of www.pwndora.org? (I mean, his for nickname)

("How can I install?"'s are coming!")

2. How can I install metasploit to Pandora?

3. How can I install Kali Linux (maybe 2.0?) On Pandora? (I know there are some topics about that but I didn't understand anything from them (dat n00bness...))

Also dat english...

OK, this kinda caught my attention...
I have thought to try messing around with a Linux operating system before...is Kali Linux just that?  A full operating system that you can use browsers and stuff with?
I am curious because I am sick of viruses.
I'd have to know of course, if a lot of the programs I currently use would work on such a platform....

Sorry to be off-topic on this...but it just caught my attention.  Seeing as how it is designed to fight malware.

Hello guys! Here's another questions topic from me :p

1. Does anyone knows the owner of www.pwndora.org? (I mean, his for nickname)

("How can I install?"'s are coming!")

2. How can I install metasploit to Pandora?

3. How can I install Kali Linux (maybe 2.0?) On Pandora? (I know there are some topics about that but I didn't understand anything from them (dat n00bness...))

Also dat english...

OK, this kinda caught my attention...
I have thought to try messing around with a Linux operating system before...is Kali Linux just that?  A full operating system that you can use browsers and stuff with?
I'd have to know of course, if a lot of the programs I currently use would work on such a platform....

Sorry to be off-topic on this...but it just caught my attention.  Seeing as how it is designed to fight malware.
I wouldn't use Kali as a day to day distro (actually, I don't use it at all unless required to).  It just has all the security related tools installed already. 

I don't really know what distro to suggest for someone making the switch now.  Mint and the Ubuntu family of distros seem popular, but I don't really like them.  Maybe you could try Debian.  I recently switched to Slackware and love it.  Others will probably be along to offer their own opinions and suggestions.

Mods, can we split this discussion?

OK, this kinda caught my attention...I have thought to try messing around with a Linux operating system before...is Kali Linux just that?  A full operating system that you can use browsers and stuff with?

Quotes messed up, but OK...

I'd recommend something like Linux Mint. It is quite normal-user-friendly, the current version (17) is a long term support version which means that it will receive security updates until 2019, meaning that it'll stay safe, and it uses a desktop model that is just that - a classic desktop, not one of them fancy new everything-is-a-touchscreen-thingies that afflicts modern Windows (and Ubuntu and Fedora on the Linux side). Here, the family computer runs Linux mint Mate edition, but I think you'd do fine with Cinnamon too. If your computer is somewhat older and slower, there is also an Xfce variant which is lighter on the resources, but that might feel a bit more old-fashioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first linux experience was Slackware - it's pretty easy to set up, and there's a vast amount of tinkering you can get into (indeed, you pretty much have to tinker - and you'll learn a lot about the internals of linux when you do).

If you're more of an email/browser/word processing type of    person, then you'd probably do better with ubuntu/mint/whatever.

D.

Ok, so I guess I wasn't too far off.  That is 3 people suggesting Mint.

Kumaki, what hardware are you using?  Not sure if there is much to worry about with this anymore (I rarely have issues anymore with anything I have tried).

OK, basically, we are talking about an old HP laptop that currently is running Windows 7.

Basically, I was wondering what Linux type system would look and feel and function the most like what I am used to, which is Windows.

Then there is the matter of certain programs which I need for business...which may not run in a Linux environment (most of these kinds of programs will run in Mac or Windows)
Specifically, my vendor software...so I would have to ask my vendor if the software will work on those.

If not...is it possible, in one of the Linux environments...to set up a Windows environment to just handle the programs that won't work in Linux?  For example, on my desktop, I have an old XP program that doesn't work in Windows 7....so I have a virtual XP Machine installed in Windows 7, so I can run XP for that one program.

I am just sick and tired of dealing with malware, adware, spyware, etc etc etc...and I know Linux is supposed to be impervious to this sort of garbage.

I am wondering if I can get another used laptop, like 2-3 years old...and try to set up on one of those, and gradually move everything over to it.  So that way, I have the system working, with everything I had on the old system.

I know that things like Libre Office and so on will work in Linux so that isn't a problem.

Again, sorry to be off topic, but this caught my attention.  I will not mind if Mods split this topic off....

The look and feel can be handled by various desktop environments or whatever, so even if you don't like the default you can probably switch to something more fitting of your expectations.  I don't know what is considered the most like Windows 7.  I have been using KDE for a long time, however I don't have issues with most others I have used (Ubuntu a year or so ago being one of the exceptions, as I was just trying to complete something simple really quickly and couldn't find it...stupid GUIs).

Under the hood there will be a lot of similarity between most distros.  I don't feel they are all that close to Windows, but it doesn't matter, most of what you need should be there.  I recommend dual booting with Windows if there are some specific things you need and you don't know if there is something suitable for Linux.  Also, even if some software serves the same purpose it may not function exactly the same (such as trying to follow instructions for Excel while using Calc (MS Office vs LibreOffice).  Another option is to try something like Wine for your Windows software.  If your computer can handle it you can use a Windows VM (XP perhaps) for that software, which allows you to run full Windows within the other OS.  A major benefit of this method, if you are having issues with virii and such is to install everything and set it up how you like, then make a copy and never touch the original again.  If you have problems you nuke that copy and make another copy of the original and carry on.  Make sure to always have multiple backups of important data, and don't save anything of value to the VM if you are planning on getting rid of it.

What antivirus are you using?

I highly recommend looking for a used laptop that had high end specs a few years ago.  You will save some money and can get something pretty good.

Hello I had a long post explaining everything but that got wiped out due to my internet resetting... <_<

basically I keep on coming back to linux after i'm forced to use windows... Every year I seem to swap back and forth due me needing to use something windows then getting sick of its shit and going to back to linux. However i've been using ubuntu for quite awhile.. but i'm not a fan of the privacy issues that OS has.

I have some experience with linux back with ubuntu 8.10 and rebuilding early 2000's laptops and hacking in wi-fi using parts I gained from my middle school's computer club.

I've dealt with Ubuntu, Mint, Some variations of Ubuntu, Puppy(Stuck on a flashdrive so I could reboot school computers and do my homework on one OS.), Vine, Debian PPC (used with a mac mini  I got for 5 bucks. I created this computer to go into a antique magneto box to use along side a USB typerwriter for a class final project to show and explain steampunk. I got put into the school paper for that one.)

I'm familiar some aspects of using linux, however the more complex stuff like compiling your own stuff is something that interests me But I don't have the slightest clue where to start.

I'd like to hear your suggestions for a distro.

If you suggest one you use tell me why you're suggesting it and what programs you like to use with it  :D  Or if you any of you have any crazy ideas spew them out too. I'm curious to get to know more about linux.

No time to read right now, but can this get merged with the other discussion once it gets split from the pentesting thread?  

Will reply to DrHAX later.

The look and feel can be handled by various desktop environments or whatever, so even if you don't like the default you can probably switch to something more fitting of your expectations.  I don't know what is considered the most like Windows 7.  I have been using KDE for a long time, however I don't have issues with most others I have used (Ubuntu a year or so ago being one of the exceptions, as I was just trying to complete something simple really quickly and couldn't find it...stupid GUIs).

Under the hood there will be a lot of similarity between most distros.  I don't feel they are all that close to Windows, but it doesn't matter, most of what you need should be there.  I recommend dual booting with Windows if there are some specific things you need and you don't know if there is something suitable for Linux.  Also, even if some software serves the same purpose it may not function exactly the same (such as trying to follow instructions for Excel while using Calc (MS Office vs LibreOffice).  Another option is to try something like Wine for your Windows software.  If your computer can handle it you can use a Windows VM (XP perhaps) for that software, which allows you to run full Windows within the other OS.  A major benefit of this method, if you are having issues with virii and such is to install everything and set it up how you like, then make a copy and never touch the original again.  If you have problems you nuke that copy and make another copy of the original and carry on.  Make sure to always have multiple backups of important data, and don't save anything of value to the VM if you are planning on getting rid of it.

What antivirus are you using?

I highly recommend looking for a used laptop that had high end specs a few years ago.  You will save some money and can get something pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestions.  So what type of laptop would you recommend for that?
That's a pretty neat trick about keeping the original copies on the Linux system (even if it won't run there) so that you always have a working copy which can then be copied to the Windows environment via the Virtual Machine.  That way, if something gets infected, you just nuke it and start fresh.  And back up all data on the Linux side....so that the data could be re-imported.

Thanks for the ideas.  I am currently using Avast.  I don't have problems with it, per se...but I AM sick and tired of paying every year for antivirus, when, if I ran Linux, I would not NEED antivirus, LOL.

I did have a big post, but it's just waffle. So lets cut to the jib.

I've used somewhat recently: Angstrom (on the Pandora), OpenSUSE, Debian, and Mint. I run a host of development tools, a few graphic tools, Linux Steam, and a few other odds and sods. I use(d) KDE on my desktop (with XFCE on Pandy); but what I've found is, none of them are really all that different.

That said, I am probably quite basic for the most part. I turn off nearly all the animations and whizzbangs, my desktop has very few to no icons on it, the desktop panel contains the "launcher" menu, a few program shortcuts, open window list, and the system tray. I only use 1 "desktop" (I just close stuff down when I'm done).

I do like KDE's graphical system settings window though. Whilst I appreciate the simplicity of text file configs, having tried to configure my own OpenVPN setting in a text editor, I had no idea whether I was changing the right settings, or even putting them to the correct values. I really want to re-setup my home VPN, but I need some time to go through and work out what I need to do with it again.

My work computers still run Windows (7 and Server 2003), my "main" desktop runs Windows 7, and my NUC and netbook run Mint. I'd switch the desktop, but two things need to happen first - 1) My Windows games (Steam and others) work fine on it via Wine, 2) I find a decent replacement to The Bat! (I believe Claws mail supports multiple inboxes and multiple accounts, but last time I tried it, I'm sure it came a cropper somewhere, though it's installed on my NUC for testing)

tl;dr: Mint is my current, and it works fine, but pick any really

How about Arch Linux ? If you want to know how people build their own distros, its afaik the best way to go as it has very extensive documentation that is usually up to date. If you want to accomodate a little more to it before getting head over heals into it, I suggest using Antergos (which I use currently) or Manjaro as they both provide an easy way in.

Hmm. Just thought that someone said "Yes I can port" :)

About your question, I am not a linux expert but I love it and (as others said) Ubuntu seems very good to me. Because, despite some linux distros are very hard to use, Ubuntu isn't.

So far, there are 3 recommends on Mint, and at least one each for Ubuntu, Debian, and Slackware.

I will have to look into these.  This is not something happening tomorrow, but within the next 6-12 months.

Please note that while you're safer from viruses with Linux, you still have to be wary of phishing, scamming and stuff like this. There are also some cross-platform exploits that will work on Linux as well as on Windows, by abusing security holes in cross-platform software (browsers, Flash, Java, etc.) Some will be less effective on Linux, but some can still do some damage. 

You're probably still much safer on Linux than on Windows, but don't assume you're completely safe. If you access your e-mail/facebook/whatever account without https from a public hotspot, running Linux won't help. Nowadays, using https is probably more important than running an anti-virus.

Live media is good. Trying things out on an older computer or in a virtual machine is also good, if possible, since it gives one a chance to get a feel for the distro over some time.

Mint is built on a base of Ubuntu, but while Ubuntu attempts to be cutting-edge when it comes to flashy new desktop technologies and cloud integration and whatnot, Mint attempts to present a solid "traditional" desktop. On my personal machine I run Manjaro, which has kinda the same relationship with Arch Linux as Mint has to Ubuntu, but it is somewhat rougher around the edges (since Arch is aimed more at experienced users than Ubuntu is), and so I wouldn't recommend that to Kumaki who I've gathered usually wants something that works "out of the box" so to speak.

Ah, the joys of multiple moderation :)  *goes off in search of the merge tool*

Back