LIttle help for a new pandora user?

thingie1234

Still Fresh
I just got my Pandora, and it's pretty spiffy.

What works, works pretty well.

PicoDrive is truly phenomenal in every way - even 32x games play smoothly and clearly.

Gnuboy isn't perfect as far as emulator features, but as far as simple gameplay goes, it's dead on and pixel perfect.

GPFCE plays, and is absolutely GORGEOUS, and plays some things that I've had trouble with on (for instance) NesDS (like Ducktales)

If anyone knows how to remove the tearing on it, though, I'd really really appreciate it. It's very unpleasant horizontal tearing when the screen moves. I suspect there's a gamma setting or vsync setting I haven't found (the "force precise vsync" in app does nothing).

But I can't get Snes9x4p to run anything.

It loads pickle launcher, I select a rom, and then BAM, back to the menu or the desktop. I've installed HF4, and I've tried 1111 and 1114, and the same thing happens.

this is the .out file.

Code:
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/cpuspeed': No such file or directory

cpu_mhz_max set to 600

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon: 

/dev/loop4

Filetype is Squashfs

sudo mount -t squashfs  /dev/loop4

mounting union!

Filesystem is vfat

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

Starting PickleLauncher.

Running from './picklelauncher'

Loading config.

Initializing SDL.

SDL initialized.

LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_edit.png at path='images/button_edit.png'

LoadImage -> Could not load image: Couldn't open images/button_options.png at path='images/button_options.png'

Loading profile.

Warning no extension was found for this file type

Closing TTF fonts.

Quitting TTF.

Quitting SDL.

Quitting PickleLauncher.

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

cpu_mhz_max set to 500

cleanup done

So I think the problem is in the "warning no extension was found for this file type".

But all of the roms I've tried are ordinary .smc files.

Any thoughts?

(I'm also having issues with wifi - it connects to my router, but then I can't see out. It fails to even ping my own router, or ssh to my home server on the same network using its IP address. But all this I haven't really searched for yet.)

This is a total shot in the dark from a pandora-less nublet, but have you updated the firmware yet? Im recall reading that there were some changes regarding the cpu speed changing system in later versions.

This is a total shot in the dark from a pandora-less nublet, but have you updated the firmware yet? Im recall reading that there were some changes regarding the cpu speed changing system in later versions.
He said he updated to hf4. :)

As for snes emulation, I advice you try other versions. :)

Try zipping them up see if you get the same error? 1 zip per file with romname.zip as filename?

That is abjectly surreal.

It works.

I can't imagine why a zipped rom works and the bare SMC does not, but it seems to work quite well.

Speeds are good, and the emulation is again, gorgeous.

Now if anyone has any ideas for getting rid of that screen tearing...

I can't imagine why a zipped rom works and the bare SMC does not, but it seems to work quite well.

romname.SMC or romname.smc? I wonder if you're being caught by the case sensitivity of SNES9x as it tries to figure out how to load the file. .SMC will not work, has to be lower case. I should probably file a bug report on that...

Try zipping them up see if you get the same error? 1 zip per file with romname.zip as filename?

It works.

I have this screen tearing too. Im still looking for alternatives to remove that.

It works.

I have this screen tearing too. Im still looking for alternatives to remove that.

I'm not entirely positive, but having read up on it, snes9x4p does have some form of vsync, but it only works in certain video modes.

frameskip has to be off, so frameskip mode has to be ?/1, rather than ?/2 or auto.

For whatever reason, I can tell a major difference between 50/1 and 60/1 - in that there is significantly less tearing at 60/1. So unfortunately, you're probably going to get significantly better results using NTSC roms rather than PAL roms. This is fine for things that have been released in both regions (a lot of big names - TONS of tearing in the EU mario world, virtually none in the US version), but less so for things like Asterix. It also means that a lot of things will go a little faster. I can see a major difference between speeds in The Legend of Zelda between the two different roms.

As far as NES emulation.... Anyone?

Back