Local Play on Consoles

Xaeo

Has anyone noticed the trend of local play becoming extinct on consoles?

For me the main reason that I spend money on a console was for the ability to play a game with my room-mate. For that reason alone I think the new Resident Evil will be awesome (RE 5 was fun too).

But aside from the usual shooter co-op local play, where have the awesome platformers like Sonic & Hedgehog gone off to?

With local play being cut-out of consoles, I'm purchasing most of my games for my PC now, and with Steam porting it's game content to Ubuntu I don't see myself buying any of the next-gen consoles, with the exception to the Wii-U... though that will depend if they make games for a more mature audience which also are local play... time will tell.

Any ways, what are your thoughts upon Local Play on consoles?

-Xaeo

So I wasn't the only person to notice that! :p I guess the fact that internet is a lot more widespread and faster means that online multiplayer is more interesting for most players and companies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep + I'd like to see it implemented more often, I don't see it happening though unfortunately. :(

you know,back in the mid\late 90's,there were many pc games that supported both internet AND local play...for some reason,now evyerone MUST play online,even if its the neighbor next door... -_-

I´m an old school player, my coins are on the local play, with very little exceptions, like minecraft.

I love fighting games, but can´t stand playing against people over net, my way is either a local place or at chuif chuif :( arcade. Preferably with beer and lots of yelling.

Yes many a late night/early morning spent on our Amigas playing Dynablaster, Super skidmarks or a local null modem linked game of knights of the sky or stunt car racer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yup i dont play online at all.1 player games are my favourite.2 player games are great especially co-op but I rarely get to play co-op as I and my mates are too busy with real life to devote the time.last co-op i played was gears of war 3.

For me the main reason that I spend money on a console was for the ability to play a game with my room-mate. For that reason alone I think the new Resident Evil will be awesome (RE 5 was fun too).

But aside from the usual shooter co-op local play, where have the awesome platformers like Sonic & Hedgehog gone off to?

With local play being cut-out of consoles, I'm purchasing most of my games for my PC now, and with Steam porting it's game content to Ubuntu I don't see myself buying any of the next-gen consoles, with the exception to the Wii-U... though that will depend if they make games for a more mature audience which also are local play... time will tell.

-Xaeo

I assume you don't have a WII...

the split screening of local play is a bit of a pain, a 2 monitor hook up is nice if you got the space to do it.

still prefer that too though.

only game I regularly play still online is PS3 GTI Club, for the Bombtag game mode, besides that, I mostly play offline 1player modes of games.

As you say elwing, the Wii is very good for this, built for local multiplayer fun, the Wii U could offer good things eh

There's a slight possibility of some renewed interest in multi-player local play on one screen, with the use of 3D ready TVs - a few manufacturers have demoed 2 player gaming with each player using the 3D glasses to separate their playscreen from the other (i.e. player one sees only 'left' image in both eyes, player 2 sees only 'right'). As refresh rates improve, the number of players can be increased - I think it was Panasonic that was said to have tested 4 players on one projector - all with full 3D each!

That would be very good ... and would prevent the 'cheating' in some games where you might take a glance at your opponents section of the screen to see where exactly they are hiding.

Actually a friend of mine and I were conspiring to have a LAN partie the next time someone makes the mistake of throwing a party and having us there ... Hehehe chortle chortle ... Cheese filled Pinapples !

I think both local play and over the net play parties serve their own purpose. I think the EVO competition and the like show that local play is indeed still very important. It's a different experience, especially for fighting games. You get to see your challenger's reaction. :)

That would be very good ... and would prevent the 'cheating' in some games where you might take a glance at your opponents section of the screen to see where exactly they are hiding.
Nah... that's part of the fun... > :p

Definitely, I remember having build some 4 player cardboard and ductape separator for a CRT to play goldeneye with friends... that was really fun... and it also helped playing the "human on foot" in multiplayer battle for lylat wars...

Yeah I guess you right .. all part of the fun.

Like the cardboard partition solution too :)

Back