Locking the Session / Screen

Discussion in 'Support Area' started by Grench, May 20, 2011.

1. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

OK - so I am set up so I have to put in my user name and password when I start my Pandora. Cool.

Now how do I lock it?

I want to leave the programs running and the session logged in - but lock the screen and require that I re-input my passphrase to get back in.

Next - I want to put this on a timer so it auto-locks.

Anyone?

Tags:
  2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

In XFCE on x86 it's ctrl-alt-delete by default - not sure how easy that is to type on the Pandora's keyboard.

It's quite easy to change to something else on XFCE though. I forget how at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's not much more than a google away.

If the Pandora comes installed with XScreensaver, that has an option to lock the screen automatically, which will require the current user's password to get back in.

I'm afraid I don't own a Pandora though, so this is all based on a couple of XFCE installations I have running.

3. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

From what I can tell, pretty much impossible.

I looked, but I didn't see a way to set that up from a point & click perspective. If it is editable in a configuration file, that would be fine - but so far I've had no luck finding it.

No screen savers on it to set a lock from.

Do you at least have one on order? If not, what are you doing hanging out here?

4. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Heh, of course - though I'm a second batcher so I'm not expecting anything in the mail any time soon yet :)

From a quick google, it seems the screen lock shortcut is settable in Settings->Keyboard->Keyboard shortcuts.

You can also create a launcher that runs xflock4, to lock the screen using the touchscreen.

But to have something that locks the screen automatically, you basically need a screensaver program.

5. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

I managed to set a command shortcut to:

/usr/bin/xflock4 <Shift><Control>BackSpace

Unfortunately it does nothing.

Does anyone have a screensaver that works for these?

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  6. cube48

cube48 Member

Deep grave digging ... I'm wondering that there's no solution to locking xfce session on Pandora. Are you guys switching your Pandoras completely off instead of locking? Keeping Pandora in sleep and not locked is not safe. I just dusted off my Panda after many years and realized it's not safe carry-around device. Any tips on how to lock stock Angstroem? Default repo doesn't contain xflock which is needed by xflock4 :-( Thanks for any insights!

7. CyberLeo

CyberLeo Still Fresh

You know, for the longest time I couldn't find any screen locking utilities for the Pandora. I just took to never letting the device out of my sight, since even with a screen lock it's trivial to simply yank the sd cards and access anything on it anyways.

This prompted me to revisit the idea, though, and I happened across slimlock. It builds in cdevtools without much issue (libfreetype.so needs a symlink update) but generating opkg packages seems to be a pain.

slimlock_0.12_omap3-pandora.opk

How are the official package repositories built and maintained, anyways?

FBnil and SONY like this.
  8. SONY

SONY PlayStation

Will Pyra have screen locking utilities?

9. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

It's running a standard debian outside of an additional pyra specific repository. So it'll have the same utilities bundled with a standard DE/DM. (IE yes it will)

SONY likes this.
  10. SONY

SONY PlayStation

Ah ok, that's good. Thanks for letting me know, as well as informing of some specifics.