Locking the Session / Screen

Grench

Forum Addict!
OK - so I am set up so I have to put in my user name and password when I start my Pandora. Cool.

Now how do I lock it?

I want to leave the programs running and the session logged in - but lock the screen and require that I re-input my passphrase to get back in.

Next - I want to put this on a timer so it auto-locks.

Anyone?

In XFCE on x86 it's ctrl-alt-delete by default - not sure how easy that is to type on the Pandora's keyboard.

It's quite easy to change to something else on XFCE though. I forget how at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's not much more than a google away.

If the Pandora comes installed with XScreensaver, that has an option to lock the screen automatically, which will require the current user's password to get back in.

I'm afraid I don't own a Pandora though, so this is all based on a couple of XFCE installations I have running.

In XFCE on x86 it's ctrl-alt-delete by default - not sure how easy that is to type on the Pandora's keyboard.
From what I can tell, pretty much impossible.

It's quite easy to change to something else on XFCE though. I forget how at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's not much more than a google away.
I looked, but I didn't see a way to set that up from a point & click perspective. If it is editable in a configuration file, that would be fine - but so far I've had no luck finding it.

If the Pandora comes installed with XScreensaver, that has an option to lock the screen automatically, which will require the current user's password to get back in.
No screen savers on it to set a lock from.

I'm afraid I don't own a Pandora though, so this is all based on a couple of XFCE installations I have running.
Do you at least have one on order? If not, what are you doing hanging out here?

Heh, of course - though I'm a second batcher so I'm not expecting anything in the mail any time soon yet :)

From a quick google, it seems the screen lock shortcut is settable in Settings->Keyboard->Keyboard shortcuts.

You can also create a launcher that runs xflock4, to lock the screen using the touchscreen.

But to have something that locks the screen automatically, you basically need a screensaver program.

I managed to set a command shortcut to:

/usr/bin/xflock4 <Shift><Control>BackSpace

Unfortunately it does nothing.

Does anyone have a screensaver that works for these?

Last edited by a moderator:
Deep grave digging ... I'm wondering that there's no solution to locking xfce session on Pandora. Are you guys switching your Pandoras completely off instead of locking? Keeping Pandora in sleep and not locked is not safe. I just dusted off my Panda after many years and realized it's not safe carry-around device. Any tips on how to lock stock Angstroem? Default repo doesn't contain xflock which is needed by xflock4 :-( Thanks for any insights!

You know, for the longest time I couldn't find any screen locking utilities for the Pandora. I just took to never letting the device out of my sight, since even with a screen lock it's trivial to simply yank the sd cards and access anything on it anyways.

This prompted me to revisit the idea, though, and I happened across slimlock. It builds in cdevtools without much issue (libfreetype.so needs a symlink update) but generating opkg packages seems to be a pain.

slimlock_0.12_omap3-pandora.opk

How are the official package repositories built and maintained, anyways?

Will Pyra have screen locking utilities?
It's running a standard debian outside of an additional pyra specific repository. So it'll have the same utilities bundled with a standard DE/DM. (IE yes it will)

Back