looking for help on project

milkshake

Advanced Member
Hi, Ive been wanting to help make a native app for downloading pnd's to the pandora.

Im no good at programming for pandora though, what I want to do is create a website using php and mysql (maybe even some ajax for the website side fo things). I also want to create some specific php pages that can be called directly from a native app so that the php page just generates an array that can be read and processed by the native app, that way it uses less bandwith than a webpage and would load quicker etc.

I know this is supposed to happen eventually anyway but as of yet it hasnt so... does this sound plausable? and would anyone wanna join the project on the native app side of the programming? ill do the web side of things, could be a nice little project let me know what you guys think.

obviously the end result would have things like login's it would know if any apps need updating on ur pandora etc it would just be awsome. :)

*array would contain details such as...*

array(appid,appname,filename(would be changed apon download),details,imageurl,downloads,rating)

all the tables etc would be built in the native app and populated with the info in the array.

on first load array would be cached locally and dated or marked so it could be compared next time the app is run to check for new/updated apps.

the array should be quite small even if has lots of entried and onced cached would load really quickly, also images could be precached if wanted although that might take a while to download, might as well only cach those that have been viewed.

logins could be used to store downloaded info or if native app programmer is good enough could just pull all current app names from pnd files on the memory cards and chache for comparison so the app knows what pnd's you already have.

I need to stop typing now getting too excited.

maybe more obviously those were things off top of my head, and the array would be sent as plain text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Ive been wanting to help make a native app for downloading pnd's to the pandora.

Im no good at programming for pandora though, what I want to do is create a website using php and mysql (maybe even some ajax for the website side fo things). I also want to create some specific php pages that can be called directly from a native app so that the php page just generates an array that can be read and processed by the native app, that way it uses less bandwith than a webpage and would load quicker etc.

Looks like all you need is for the package.pnd to have that information, if it has, a simple shell application could generate a xml or whatever you prefer the output, i could do that but someone that knows how to handle .pnds would be the right person for the job... aw im just rambling..., if only I knew what a .pnd carries, i don't own a pandora yet, but i'm very excited about the possibilities too

So, you basically want to make a pnd updater/getter? Then I would search the forums a bit, there were several threads with ideas how to do this the best way. see for example here:

What exactly is the problem? This sounds pretty straight-forward for me (and if I had a pandora, I would've probably allready done it) but maybe I just misunderstood you

Yeah but im not talking just a bash script that would search for updates for your app although that finctionality could be programmed in, Im trying to make a native app that pools its info from a website where people upload there apps, I know there is the file archive and the app store but they dont have the functionality built in for a native app to pull data without it being overly complicated, my solution was to create a site with extra php pages that would pull a simple array of the latest apps and then the native app can organise this and download direct through the app, more like the app store on the iphone I guess but of course not as commercial.

your post here is pretty much what I mean I can generate an array in JSON or xml or even a native format C++ can read in text format via php generated an online database (mysql).

just need to find someone who can code a native app/gui that can use the array of info. it could also be a pnd manager of sorts basically it would be awsome im surpirsed this hasnt been done yet but i suppose its been a hard year, anyway thats why im asking to see if anyone wants to help, you wanna help?

Long ago, skeezix concocted a specification for listing PND repository information in a JSON format. The Box had this functionality built in, but it was created by dflemstr who has since left the community and, therefore, abandoned The Box. Neither the official App Store, nor the file archive implement this yet.

But if you can get your hands on the specification (ask skeezix about it), you could make an app that uses it, which would probably provide some incentive to get the spec implemented. Maybe.

EDIT: Turns out the specification is in the wiki.

Because he said so. He didn't like the way core development was organized, and what he wanted in a handheld device changed. No acrimony, he just moved on.

Of course, code for The Box is still available on github. You could hopefully build on that for your web backend. In fact, I encourage you to do so, because it's a wonderful piece of work.

wow im really gutted most things he said in his post when advising he was leaving was spot on though.

wish he was still here.

Damn... I missed that Dflemstr left us... :(

me too im propper gutted he was probably one of the smartest members of the community that just wanted to help and kept getting shunted back. bad times.

also I have the same thread on gp32x.

I suspect that you're looking for dpkg for the Pandora, which we have, through opkg from Angstrom. Conceivably, someone could just set up a PND opkg repository, with a custom front-end (that searched your SD for packages instead of the normal opkg database), and we'd be good to go. You might need a custom install process (to save the PND to the SD card instead of the NAND), but that shouldn't be difficult.

Yeah but im not talking just a bash script that would search for updates for your app although that finctionality could be programmed in, Im trying to make a native app that pools its info from a website where people upload there apps, I know there is the file archive and the app store but they dont have the functionality built in for a native app to pull data without it being overly complicated
Well, bash scripts weren't the idea in the thread anyway. The idea was basically what you describe, but instead of yet another source for the PND, it would take the app store. All one would need is for ED (or someone else who has access) to put in a simple PHP with a few SQL selects, which is for them a matter of seconds.

Of course that depends of how well the database of those sites is suitable - if they have none of the needed informations like software version etc, then a standalone repository like the mentioned "The Box" might be a better idea (I would probably make my own or at least change the box. While it is nicely made, it lacks at least one vital information: the version of the PND file itself). Still, I'd rather just try to get the OPT to change the app store accordingly because currently, it's the place most people upload their stuff. The more sources for PNDs, the more complicated it gets.

and download direct through the app, more like the app store on the iphone I guess but of course not as commercial.
This is another thing mentioned in the thread. While the main focus was on updating, a search&download of new apps would be easy to add to it because it allready has all the info it needs. The idea was basically that it would be an apt-lookalike (not covering the whole range of apt functionality, but still the basic aspects of updating, downloading and maybe uninstalling)

I can generate an array in JSON or xml or even a native format C++ can read in text format via php generated an online database (mysql).
There's no such thing as a native C++ text format. If you mean to make your own, why bother? JSON is a peace of a cake to read (there's even a reader for C++ that generates objects out of the code) and everyone would understand it without having to read a specification about the format.

just need to find someone who can code a native app/gui that can use the array of info. it could also be a pnd manager of sorts basically it would be awsome im surpirsed this hasnt been done yet but i suppose its been a hard year, anyway thats why im asking to see if anyone wants to help, you wanna help?
So basically.. What you need is someone else to do all the work instead of someone helping you with it? The way I see it, the online php stuff would be the tyniest part of all of it. It would have been more honest to just put it in one of the software requests threads. No offense, I just saw that whole "help me with my project! you do all the work and I get the praise!" way too many times allready and am a bit tired of it.

And as I stated in the other thread, I might do it, but there's no sense in doing it (or any other pandora software that I thought about) before my pandora arrives.

Damn... I missed that Dflemstr left us... :(
Yeah, that's a shame.

I guess I'll have to be the community's "guy who recommends Qt a lot" from now on. Qt's part of the reason I don't really want to get into Android, I really love Qt on standard X11, and as far as I've heard, they haven't ported Qt to Android's GUI yet.

So basically.. What you need is someone else to do all the work instead of someone helping you with it? The way I see it, the online php stuff would be the tyniest part of all of it. It would have been more honest to just put it in one of the software requests threads. No offense, I just saw that whole "help me with my project! you do all the work and I get the praise!" way too many times allready and am a bit tired of it.

And as I stated in the other thread, I might do it, but there's no sense in doing it (or any other pandora software that I thought about) before my pandora arrives.

I think you got me all wrong, there was no need for this little dig, Im not one of those people who just wants people to do everything for me, Im going to be building a whole website for this (html, php, mysql, javascript, css) wich might be a piece of cake for you, but I dont think its all that easy, (the easy part is generating the JSON for the native app) but Im going to do it none the less.

Im no fool,I know the hardest part will be making the native gui but doesnt make the website part of things a piece of cake or a 2 min job.

also Im not focing anyone to do this, I just thought that if there was someone with the appropriate skills that could do the native part I could do the web part and it would be a joint effort and take a lot less time to complete and of course I wouldnt take credit, I just want to help the comminty make the pandora experiance better.

And the point to this is so we can acheive something that should have been done already but hasnt.

Sorry, diddn't mean to insult you. As I said, it just happened to me too many times. Also, the way I understood you was that the web frontend was supposed to be just a way to put the pnd data to the program, without any website, javascript, bells, whistles and so on (sure you mentioned it in the starting post, but I must confess I overlooked that, my bad), and that would be a real piece of cake to do B)

Of course, a website in addition to it is more work (though still less than the prog)

Sorry, diddn't mean to insult you. As I said, it just happened to me too many times. Also, the way I understood you was that the web frontend was supposed to be just a way to put the pnd data to the program, without any website, javascript, bells, whistles and so on (sure you mentioned it in the starting post, but I must confess I overlooked that, my bad), and that would be a real piece of cake to do B)

Of course, a website in addition to it is more work (though still less than the prog)

Yup I will be making a full website for people to upload pnd's to and also for those that want to download the pnd's on the pc and transfer them accross manually. so its more than just creating a small php script to generate the JSON.

and of course for me the actual native app is much harder work (but this is because I have no idea how to do it), but for those that can code for pandora it might not be such a difficult job (because they know how to do it), its best for people to use their skills in the right place if you know what I mean.

UPDATE:

I have added the ability to side-load a pnd from another website or upload from your own pc please give it a try and give some feedback.

of course still plenty more work to do but it finally feels like im getting there.

all new pnd's successfully added also get added to my database which is cool.

it also tells you if there is anything wrong with the file.

please try it.

click here

I dont really post progress here but i might start doing, you can follow previous updates here

Unable to determine IP address from host name "op.liquidfists.com"

The DNS server returned:

Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

anyway, I still hope someone would do such a prog together with OPT so it works with the app store. If I would make an app, I would probably not go through the pain to upload it to x sites every time I update it, and I guess others see that similar.

Unable to determine IP address from host name "op.liquidfists.com"

The DNS server returned:

Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

anyway, I still hope someone would do such a prog together with OPT so it works with the app store. If I would make an app, I would probably not go through the pain to upload it to x sites every time I update it, and I guess others see that similar.

hmmm thats odd there is a DNS error I dont know why as i own the domain untill 2012 ill have to raise a ticket with my ISP.

well I wouldnt mind working with OPT but criag wants to make his own site and I dont know python, I can do PHP so..

and anyway thats why I added the sideload option so you dont have to personally upload to all sites you can just add the URL of the file you uploaded elsewhere and mysite will collect it for you :)

I hope you appreciate that what im doing is for the community not for personal gain, I know it would be better overall to have a central place for our apps but what we have at the moment in my opinion just doesnt cut it.

do u understand why im doing it? or do u think im wasting my time?

do u understand why im doing it? or do u think im wasting my time?
When you still would have to put in the url to the PND manually in the side load thingy, then it's not really any faster. The PND developer would still have to go around to X PND hosters and upload/copy-paste the PND/URL there. On the other hand, if that side-load-thingy would work by automatically downloading all the stuff off of other websites, there would be other problems. For example, you'd need very specific information which may neither be in the PND nor in the site you plan to collect it from, like the version of the pnd, release notes, previous versions etc. Also, since the program might have been done by multiple people on different hosts, there may be different concurrent versions of an app if that side-load is activated. Question is, which one to select? let the user decide? how is the user supposed to know which of those versions is the most recent one?

So, in short, if you have to put in the url instead of uploading, it doesn't make any difference except for really big programs. If it downloads from other PND sites without user interaction, you have other problems.

For me, it seems that there's no way to win, so I would probably bug ED/craig so long until I had access to the app store :)

If it works with the official PND repos, you would probably be able to have it preinstalled on the Pandora as the official package manager.

Yet, when you just make your own repository that does not work with the official one.. well, there may be some people who would still use it, maybe even a whole bunch of people, but for me personally, it would be nothing.

I'd say get your DNS record fixed and post a demo (if you have a demo, that is) in a new thread in the general section and see what other people have to say.

Back