Lxde

expression?
expr[box]ession?

Is it some kind of wordfilter or something?
Edit: Didn't affect my test phrase...

You don't mean an actual box, like the empty glyph box when your browser sees a non-ascii character but doesn't have the right fonts for it?
Or the brackets box [] for arrays in many programming languages? I used that on the plurals poll.

paulguy said:
Also, what the hell is with the expr[box]ession I keep seeing all over the place? Is someone using accent marks in some really gay encoding (everything not unicode) or what? I've seen it twice in this thread and in a few other threads. Is it some kind of meme?

The only thing I can think of that you are seeing is this: [] which is an open and close bracket. Can you tell us whose posts you see them in?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
expbox.png

I viewed the source, the word becomes: exp​ressions

paulguy said:
It seems to be an html character code to tell the browser that he must not truncate the word (zero width space).
It may be a glitch in your browser or maybe with a font because it should not show anything.

To Aninhumer : I said html reference because it use the classical &#[number/word]; way to render special character like ∑.

ZWSP, U+200B, character reference in HTML: &#8203

paulguy said:
Nothing in the source for me.
Which browser are you using?

EDIT:
Oh no, I just copied it out to gvim and there's an extra character there.
But it's definitely just a character, not a html reference.

EDIT2 @Kodlen:
I know, I mean it's just "displayed" in the source code as an invisible character for me. There's no &# reference.

paulguy said:

I don't have that problem either. I'm thinking it's your browser.

EDIT: I don't have the problem you have, but I do see the thing in the source that you saw.

-God Ginrai

I didn't type that.

I'm using Chromium in Linux, if that matters. It shouldn't do, as you're receiving your page from the server.

Maybe Chromium added an extra character or something?

EDIT: I made a mistake. I had downloaded the wrong page and somehow not realized that less was parsing the HTML... I just hit / right away to search and didn't really look. It shows up when I download it with wget, so the site is mangling the word somehow.

EDIT2: testing: expressions

Line O said:
linuxftw said:
I think I will just go with the Gp2x Wiz.
Well I decided I don't want the Wiz I will just wait for the Pandora to become something that you don't have to special order. The Gp2x Wiz turns me off in every way again the I can wait the Pandora taught me patience is virtue.

Vorporeal said:
linuxftw said:
Elanzer said:
For someone that with the username "linuxftw" it seems you've never used linux before
Meh I know my way around Ubuntu just fine.

That doesn't count. ;)

Seriously, That's like saying "I'm good at baseball" because you played T-ball and could hit the ball off the tee. Or "I'm good at Golf" because you do well in Putt-Putt.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Vorporeal said:
linuxftw said:
Elanzer said:
For someone that with the username "linuxftw" it seems you've never used linux before

That doesn't count. ;)

Seriously, That's like saying "I'm good at baseball" because you played T-ball and could hit the ball off the tee. Or "I'm good at Golf" because you do well in Putt-Putt.

-God Ginrai

He reminds me of this guy

uuu join/#unix (Hes^GoT^LiNuX!root@vw-14185.kems.net)..
<Hes^GoT^LiNuX> I Have Linux Perl Can i Download Gnome???

Vorporeal said:
linuxftw said:
Elanzer said:

That doesn't count. ;)

On a related note... does anyone know how to insert one of those 'munching popcorn' emoticons? I'm surprised it's not in the list of defaults for this forum :p

^
Code:
[ATTACH=full]3248[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]3249[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]3250[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]3251[/ATTACH]

smileypopcorneating.gif
watchdrama8jm.gif
smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif
]
1sm213sharepopcorn.gif

Attachments

• smileypopcorneating.gif
    smileypopcorneating.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 70
  • watchdrama8jm.gif
    watchdrama8jm.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 67
  • smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif
    smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 1sm213sharepopcorn.gif
    1sm213sharepopcorn.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 71
So before this thread gets stupider, I'm still kinda curious about my question. Why does the word expression become mangled?

Seems like a better use for a thread than bashing people for not knowing linux.

paulguy said:
So before this thread gets stupider, I'm still kinda curious about my question. Why does the word expression become mangled?

Well, we have been waiting for you to answer our question: "What Browser are you using?"

-God Ginrai

paulguy said:

Because the forum inserts what I think is word break points, and Opera beta doesn't handle them correctly. I'm seeing the same with Opera beta in Linux, but not in 10.10.

Back