The Desktop

PA is not only used in the N900 but Palm Pre too.

I do like having multiple solutions to choose from, but also I'm really glad that there is a combined effort to sort out the jumble that is video and audio on the Linux desktop. If only we could have combined effort and multiple solutions.

@dflemstr - I do like your point about clinging to the past. I'm still having to convince even IT techies that there is nothing wrong with 64 bit OS (in most cases :p) and they still bring up all the old reasons for not using it. Oh that and treating Li-XX batteries the same as NmH ones *shudder*

grasshoppir said:
@mahousaru: multiple solutions is the problem :) i think the gnu's gone wild

That is the thing with FOSS we get choice, which is one of the strengths of it, but also if it is too diverse then development can be slow as resources a stretched out over multiple solutions.

Right now with PA all the major distros are working on it, which means that other solutions may not get the same resource investment. Of course if other solutions are more suited and their reps are able to push hard enough then they might claw back some of the lime light.

Last edited by a moderator:
mahousaru said:
grasshoppir said:

That is the thing with FOSS we get choice, which is one of the strengths of it, but also if it is too diverse then development can be slow as resources a stretched out over multiple solutions.

Right now with PA all the major distros are working on it, which means that other solutions may not get the same resource investment. Of course if other solutions are more suited and their reps are able to push hard enough then they might claw back some of the lime light.
the alsa/oss issue remains even if you give a fancy speech, what we think about free software in general is irrelevant imo :)

grasshoppir said:
mahousaru said:
grasshoppir said:

the alsa/oss issue remains even if you give a fancy speech, what we think about free software in general is irrelevant imo :)

I don't get how major distros overlooking alsa/oss is irrelevant?

mahousaru said:
grasshoppir said:
mahousaru said:
grasshoppir said:

I don't get how major distros overlooking alsa/oss is irrelevant?
in this context. nvm i give up you win kthx bye

Back