Where Do You Want Apps To Show Up By Default? Menu Or Desktop?

Stick an SD in, and you want your pnd-file apps to magically appear......

• On the Pandora desktop

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • In the menu, sorted by category

Votes: 163 90.1%

• Total voters

Vorporeal said:
Definitely menu.

If you go with the separate desktop and menu folders, I suggest that everything in the desktop folder ALSO gets added to the menu. The menu should have a comprehensive list of all applications on the Pandora (PND and otherwise), whereas the desktop should just have favorites (or equivalent).
I have to agree with that just because I use either the menu most. The menu is second to the quick-launch for me though, but still not the desktop.

krosfyah said:
I'm fairly OCD about this, I HATE having icons on my desktop.
I also don't like much on my desktop, and no programs at all. I have things on it temporarily but once every few weeks I do a cleaning and get nearly everything on it put away somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
16/32gb of apps might get a bit crazy. especially if zebra adventure gets put out of my desktop space :( i love those lil buggers
menus allow the catagorisation of our apps which makes everything a whole lot easier in the long run. as long as we can have shortcuts i will be happy

El Jefe said:
What you are about to read is the be all end all of this issue:
Make like win XP
1. insert card
2. click through a few bubbles that pop up to tell you that you inserted a card
3. open start menu
4. click my computer
5. find the correct disk
6. open it, and find its applications folder
7. ???
8. PROFIT!!!
Thats a horrible way to do things. Programs can only install in 3 places: Pandora, SD1, SD2, and USB media if plugged in. Once again hopefully everything will install through the Ångström repositories or though Craig's repository (read App Store).

This is talking about installing isn't it? As far as programs installed on a SD card you wouldn't need this, the program on the SD card could be pre-configured to appear on the desktop or the menu though pnd extension.

I think the apps should at least always go into the menu, but depending on user choise ALSO on the desktop. It would be nice that if you insert a card with new apps, you'll get a dialog which ask you in a list with tickboxes which apps you'll want to add to your desktop. This preference should be saved on the SD card, and this list should be editable through a menu.

To me, that sounds like a good solution :)
Note: haven't read the entire thread, if this suggestion isn't new and someone already proposed it: i'm all in favor :)

Laurencevde said:
How about:
when you insert a card, a new menu-button pops up on the toolbar, with all of the apps on that card in there. Keeps things separated.

I myself rarely even see my desktop, so putting it on the desktop isn't of much use for me...
^this

Near-kun said:
I'd rather keep my desktop clean.

A dedicated menu is much better, since it even provides us the ability to separate things into categories (dunno about all you guys, but I plan to have a LOT of apps on the SD, and just throwing everything on the desktop seems quite messy - even unprofessional)
and this^

Although I think the SD card should appear on the desktop, kinda like the way things were on Amiga. :wub:
In fact .. I'd like it to run just like Workbench :>

HTML:
Categories in Desktop could work very well.  Clean, well organised, two-tap launch (Tap[1] Category ----> Tap [2] App).

ex.
|                                             |
| Setup    Vids    SD       Apps     Backup   |
| Editors  Photos  Tools    etc      etc      |
|_____________________________________________|

Up there, "Home" is not "home_dir" but a "Home" button, also present under each category, to take you back to Desktop/Categories.

torpor said:
I vote for Desktop, because then it really makes it a lot easier for grandma-style users to deal with an SD they receive in the mail. Just put the SD in the box, grandma, touch the shiny button, and start a-shootin' .. you adorable old thing you ..

I normally don't have anything at all on my desktop, but we have to bear in mind that this is a portable device and isn't used in exactly the same way as a desktop computer.

mindlord said:
I agree with the menu + favorites on the desktop option.
Vorporeal said:
If you go with the separate desktop and menu folders, I suggest that everything in the desktop folder ALSO gets added to the menu. The menu should have a comprehensive list of all applications on the Pandora (PND and otherwise), whereas the desktop should just have favorites (or equivalent).
I'd go with these ideas myself.

I am willing to give Skeezixs' pnd-file placement out, no matter what it is. I can only really judge off of things I've tried. Who knows, it might work out really well. For right now I just don't like desktop launchers, a quick launch seconding on the tool bar would be ok to put things, but I don't like them on the desktop. Like I said though, I'll try anything.

In the Gnome version of Sabayon when you plug anything in it gets a little icon on the toolbar lower right. I kinda liked that, if pnd-file did that I would like it better than just being a launch icon on the desktop.

Everything should go to the menu though, maybe give the programs that are on the SD and not installed alongside the OS should have a different colour font/name. Or, in the menu have a section at the top that just shows what's on the SD card.

You could always place them in *both* locations! :eek:

No, j/k

But an alternative would be this:
- The PND service creates .desktop files in a known location
- If no symlink exists on the desktop or in a menu, a symlink is created in the menu pointing to the actual .desktop file
- The user can drag-drop the symlink from the menu onto the desktop (or copy it or whatever)
- You configure the GUI to not show broken symlinks
- So when the SD card is ejected, the .desktop files are removed, all of the symlinks get broken, and "disappear".
- When the SD card is reinserted, the .desktop files are generated again, and the symlinks are whole again. Poof, you get back your shortcuts the way they were.

User experience:
- Shortcuts will be created int he menu by default
- They can be dragged to any location you want
- They disappear when you eject an SD card, and reappear when the card is reinserted.

Why not just have the PND method of sorting alert the system that there are programs/files on the card and let PND sort them out how you pre-configured these files to go in a setup?

On the desktop
and/or in a specific desktop
and/or in the menu
and/or in a quick-launch area
and/or just in the SD directory.

This should not be configured every time, or be configured for each SD card. PND should have a control panel that you tell it to put what kind of objects on a SD card where.

For example: all video files (.avi,.mkv, .mpg, ect.) go on the desktop and all programs go in the menu. This way no matter what is on the card things appear where you want them to. This would be though a control panel for PND and affects PND system wide.

This would also be handy for sharing SD cards with other users, the way you want everything set up is where you want it no matter who's card it is.

second exodous said:
Why not just have the PND system alert the system that there are programs/files on the card but on the system itself you configure were you want them to be displayed?

On the desktop
and/or in the menu

This should be configured every time, or be configured for each SD card. PND should have a control panel that you tell it to put what kind of objects on a SD card where. For example:

For example: all video files (.avi,.mkv, .mpg, ect.) go on the desktop and all programs go in the menu. This way no matter what is on the card things appear where you want them to. This would be though a control panel for PND and affects PND system wide.

This would also be handy for sharing SD cards with other users, the way you want everything set up is where you want it no matter who's card it is.
Send your patch to skeezix and he'll look into it! ;)
No but seriously, the system has to be *simple* and that means not rebuilding the whole XFCE menu system from scratch.

Also, my proposed system above does everything that your proposed system does, but I don't need a control panel.

skeezix said:
edit: just had a brainfart; right now, you put pnd-files in your SD /pandora/apps directories; coudl make it so its /pandora/apps for desktop, and /pandora/menuapps for menu, perhaps, or something like that. Nice and easy that way, maybe..
That sounds perfect for me :)

dflemstr said:
second exodous said:
Why not just have the PND system alert the system that there are programs/files on the card but on the system itself you configure were you want them to be displayed?

On the desktop
and/or in the menu

This should be configured every time, or be configured for each SD card. PND should have a control panel that you tell it to put what kind of objects on a SD card where. For example:

Send your patch to skeezix and he'll look into it! ;)
No but seriously, the system has to be *simple* and that means not rebuilding the whole XFCE menu system from scratch.

Also, my proposed system above does everything that your proposed system does, but I don't need a control panel.
Your system has much more work involved for the user, my system is set-up-once-and-forget. You wouldn't need to re-write anything in XFCE to do what I proposed, as long as the place exists a program could put files where ever you want. It might be out of the scope of PND, it was just an idea.

I'll try out PND no matter what it is so I'm just suggesting things.

EDIT: I just realized that what I proposed is out of the scope of PND, with what I proposed you wouldn't need any PND files on the SD card, it would be set up on the system and then work on every card no matter if it had ever touched a Pandora before. So ignore me. Project for another day.

ricki said:
skeezix said:
edit: just had a brainfart; right now, you put pnd-files in your SD /pandora/apps directories; coudl make it so its /pandora/apps for desktop, and /pandora/menuapps for menu, perhaps, or something like that. Nice and easy that way, maybe..
That sounds perfect for me :)
I did not see this, Skeezix must have put that in after I read it, strange that it doesn't say he edited it. That sounds perfect.

dflemstr said:
second exodous said:
Your system has much more work involved for the user
How so?
Dragging and dropping an icon seems much easier than opening a control panel imo.
Control panel set up once sorts every card ever plugged into your Pandora forever.

Dragging and dropping for every single program on every single SD that you put into your Pandora.

Which is more work?

Edit: not trying to be rude or start flame war, just think my idea sounds like less work. However, it's not really PND, it's a completely new program.

skeezix said:
+1
Or some other way that let me organize PND file into categories, menu, submenu, desktop and desktop folders. But basically, if I have lot of PNDs, then I like them organized in menu. If just a few of them, then let them sit on desktop.

EDIT: Vote for "in menu by categories". If I like'em on desktop, I can switch to simple launcher.

I'll say again that it should always be the user's choice of where something'll go, anything should be able to be changed but the user should be able to choose their preference. It should always populate the menu I think, unless the user specifies otherwise.

Dead1nside said:
I'll say again that it should always be the user's choice of where something'll go, anything should be able to be changed but the user should be able to choose their preference. It should always populate the menu I think, unless the user specifies otherwise.
Regardless of whether the user gets a choice or not, they still need to do something by default if the user hasn't made any choices yet. Discuss options later, we're discussing what to do by default.

Back