MAD CATZ S.U.R.F Controller/Keyboard

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Looks like Mad Catz have released an icontrolpad2 of sorts. Looks interesting. Not sure on the button placement etc but will look for reviews

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/24/mad-catz-samsung-galaxy-s7-mwc-2016/#confab-comment-27154205

http://madcatz.com/gamesmart_surf_r/

Surfr_top.jpg
Product-Colors_SURFr.jpg

It comes in red. I guess it is time to cancel or sell my Pyra pre-pre-order.

Seriously, wtf is up with those controls? Maybe they will be good for those games where you need to use 2 sticks and the buttons and d-pad all at the exact same time. It does seem quite large. Not sure if that is because it is, or it just looks like it in the picture. Is this supposed to be pocketable?

I don't have any interest in this for personal use but I guess I will look into it to answer some of my questions. TrashyMG is right, it should be that same quality that we have come to expect from Mad Catz.

It looks incredibly uncomfortable to hold. Unlike this wonderful controller:

05d270c28e19aa81cbe2038cc8a7f2b4.jpg
I am surprised something like this was even made. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of putting a keyboard in the controller, if you can't type and use the buttons at the same time? Also, do you know where I could get one of those?

Last edited:
It was designed for Phantasy Star Online, exclusively if I recall correctly. In PSO you have waves of monsters as you move from area to area, so before moving on and starting the next wave you have time to chat and prepare. And of course there's the lobby where no fighting occurs. So you wouldn't actually have a need to type and move at the same time.

I am surprised something like this was even made. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of putting a keyboard in the controller, if you can't type and use the buttons at the same time? Also, do you know where I could get one of those?
The only place I can think of would be eBay. Search for ASCII GameCube controller. ASCII being the manufacturer. The most common way I've seen people using it is to play normally, rest it on your lap to type a message, then pick it back up. I haven't had the pleasure of owning one, maybe some day I will =P.

I think - but not sure - the black bumber around the Madcatz surf is removable. That should make a lot smaller

Its not a full keyboard, rather carry a planck or similar.
The joypad inside buttons is interesting, but id like a dpad on the left.
And real buttoncluster and a trackpoint mouse on the right.

Back