Mail From Ed (with Estimated Shipping Dates)

This is beginning to sound like one of those debates - "are we at least all agreed on 2009?"

its going to be 2009, deal with it and move on, ill bet my pandora on it

It comes out when it comes out, I happily pre-ordered with a bank transfer when my card order went belly up, I was incredibly happy at the new RAM/NAND, I check there boards daily for any nugget of info. Today I find out I may not be playing with it at Christmas, do I care, am I upset with the team? no i'm not.

I still have a lot of faith in the dev team behind this machine, I haven't been let down with any of the incarnations of the GP32/GP2x's I have bought off Craig in the past and I dont believe I will be with the Pandora, I have bought into an idea, a very powerful handheld that wouldn't have been possible without the pre-orders.

If any of you have lost faith in the team, pull out so that someone else can enjoy the fruits of their labour.

I foresee people still saying that the Pandora will be coming out in 2008 on December 31 2008, 11:59:59.

CandidStan said:
I foresee people still saying that the Pandora will be coming out in 2008 on December 31 2008, 11:59:59.
they should wait until then to release it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon they'll send a total of 1 fully complete Pandora out to a lucky customer, just to say they shipped in '09 ;)

GunPei2X said:
I reckon they'll send a total of 1 fully complete Pandora out to a lucky customer, just to say they shipped in '09 ;)
They better have an unboxing video. :pandora1:

christo930 said:
I'm not complaining about the delay from November to December/January, it's the delay from early spring 08 to Winter 09 and at the time the gp2x was still shipping. My basic complaint /question is how many people would have bought the GP2X earlier in 08 like during the Winter/Spring if they knew then that the Pandora was not going to ship to 09?
So your main complaint is the two month period between when the Pandora was first rumored start shipping (before we found out we could get in on the ground floor with the unreleased OMAP3530 if we waited a bit longer) and when GPH officially canceled the GP2X. How many people might have bought a GP2X in that time? A handful at best. Most shops were already out of stock before the 2X was even officially canceled.

There is no doubt that Gamepark has made some mistakes, but not talking directly to the community is not one of them.
This is their biggest problem. The Craiginator (now Pandora) was a direct result of their unwillingness to listen to community feedback or fix the problems with their products. The only contact we had from them at all was through Craig and ED, and even that was pretty spotty. Their decision to provide proper buttons on the Wiz is the first time they've taken any suggestions from the western community seriously, and even that required a massive outcry from the users and a direct personal intervention from ED.
Granted it would have been nice, but what other game manufacturer goes to public blogs and ask people what they think and provide them with information and such?
We do.

Another thing, is that people seem to hold Game Park and The Pandora team to different standards, being much easier on The Pandora Team. Lets call them Pandora, inc for ease. Pandora, inc is a business, just like Game Park whose ultimate goal is to earn money. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but people around here act like Pandora, inc is working for free with no hopes of making a lot of money when the product does ship.
I'm not sure how you managed to get it exactly backwards, but you have. GPH started taking money for the Wiz in August, with shipping expected in October. Almost immediately after they started taking orders, they announced the change to buttons from the dual d-pad, and pushed shipping back by 30 days. Several weeks ago they pushed shipping back until February 09 without any legitimate reason given. Nobody has heard a peep from them since.

All aspects of Pandora development have been as transparent as legally possible from day one. All estimates on timing were clearly given as estimates based on current conditions, and whenever those conditions changed, you were promptly informed how and why. The Pandora preorders opened up more than a month after Wiz preorders, yet based on how things are looking right now, most (if not all) Pandoras will ship before the first Wiz goes out the door.

Despite those facts, we have received a ton of grief from people about the Pandora situation while GPH has received none. Nobody is demanding that GPH provide daily updates, pictures, and video. Nobody is demanding to have their money refunded because they won't get their new toy by Christmas. Nobody is even asking for a real explanation as to why the release got pushed back by three months. I suppose it's because anybody who has been here for more than a year knows better than to expect an answer.

Obviously the real reasons the Wiz got pushed back are the same reasons the Pandora got pushed back. Obviously they're having just as much trouble as we are with parts supply and money and manufacturing. Obviously GPH has no more control over their delays than we do over ours. I can't fault them for issues that are out of their control. I can fault you for your patently absurd implication that the Pandora is somehow getting a free ride.

We have been held to much higher standards. Frankly, we expect to be held to higher standards. But don't for one second pretend that those standards aren't there. Whether or not you think we have a lot to answer for, the fact is that we do answer.

Chip said:
The only contact we had from them at all was through Craig and ED, and even that was pretty spotty.

To be fair, I remember someone called Anna from GPH was around on the forums when the GP2X was just launching, although I guess that didn't last long.

Esn said:
Chip said:
The only contact we had from them at all was through Craig and ED, and even that was pretty spotty.

To be fair, I remember someone called Anna from GPH was around on the forums when the GP2X was just launching, although I guess that didn't last long.
I think she disappeared shortly after you lot found out she was a woman. Just saying, like.

D.

Anna has never been here at the boards, there just had been a picture of here here.

However, to be fair: GPH didn't want your WIZ money yet. IF somebody wanted it from you, it was the distributor. GPH didn't claim it yet.
They have more fundings because of the gp2x though - and the first F100 had been funded the exact same way: With the money from the preorders :)

EvilDragon said:
Anna has never been here at the boards, there just had been a picture of here here.

However, to be fair: GPH didn't want your WIZ money yet. IF somebody wanted it from you, it was the distributor. GPH didn't claim it yet.
They have more fundings because of the gp2x though - and the first F100 had been funded the exact same way: With the money from the preorders :)
But she has been on the spanish forums :p

Chip said:
All aspects of Pandora development have been as transparent as legally possible from day one. All estimates on timing were clearly given as estimates based on current conditions, and whenever those conditions changed, you were promptly informed how and why. The Pandora preorders opened up more than a month after Wiz preorders, yet based on how things are looking right now, most (if not all) Pandoras will ship before the first Wiz goes out the door.

Despite those facts, we have received a ton of grief from people about the Pandora situation while GPH has received none. Nobody is demanding that GPH provide daily updates, pictures, and video. Nobody is demanding to have their money refunded because they won't get their new toy by Christmas. Nobody is even asking for a real explanation as to why the release got pushed back by three months. I suppose it's because anybody who has been here for more than a year knows better than to expect an answer.

Obviously the real reasons the Wiz got pushed back are the same reasons the Pandora got pushed back. Obviously they're having just as much trouble as we are with parts supply and money and manufacturing. Obviously GPH has no more control over their delays than we do over ours. I can't fault them for issues that are out of their control. I can fault you for your patently absurd implication that the Pandora is somehow getting a free ride.

We have been held to much higher standards. Frankly, we expect to be held to higher standards. But don't for one second pretend that those standards aren't there. Whether or not you think we have a lot to answer for, the fact is that we do answer.
Are you sure Pandora will ship before the Wiz? The Wiz hardware is finished and now the final polish is being put in place. Pandora's hardware nore software is done. The Pandora team will also need additional time for testing after everything is complete. craigix has guarenteed not to release any defective units. The Wiz could release before Feburary. Pandora still has no definitive date. My bet is on the Wiz to deliver first.

You say no one has heard a peep from GPH then how can you speak as if you know what the Wiz's delays are? Yes people do hold GPH to another standard because GPH has previously delivered. Justifing Pandora's delays by comparing them to GPH's track record is not a convincing defense.

Come on now, let's not fight about such silly things. Let's remember how lucky we are to have two companies catering to our admittedly small market, each about to launch a brand new product that differs from the other just enough so as to have its particular strengths and appeal. These are good times, don't spoil them.

All this whining does is damage the scene and turn people away, so how about instead of hitting "Add Reply" to send your latest peppered response, you open up your creative tool of choice and start working on something that's actually worthy of your time?

Back