Maintainer?

Not me.

I would not mind collecting fixes/tweaks others make in one place though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, now that we got a basic version working, it would be neat to find someone experienced with Android to work on it.

@ Notaz : I've said it before in the beta thread & I'll say it again, your work on Android has been amazing, you've really opened up a whole lot of new possibilities for the Pandora. Things like iPlayer streaming, youtube, netflix and whole load of great games & apps seemingly with just a wave or two of your 'magic wand'.*

If you find the time I'd be grateful if you could answer a few questions :

1) Is your work with Android for Pandora over?

2) If it is not over, what in general terms have you got left to do?

3) In the beta thread you stated that 'Android has been your least favorite Pandora project', why is this?

* It's appreciated that you don't really have a magic wand and that a whole lot of hard and probably, at times, very frustrating work goes into the stuff you do. Either that or you have some kind of Faustian pact with the devil to grant you god like coding skills. :p

1) Is your work with Android for Pandora over?
It depends on how you look at it, some upcoming kernel work might benefit android, so it might work better with next firmware update installed. However I don't plan to dig through Android's source to figure out why it blanks screen without a way to unblank after you suspend-resume your pandora, for example.

2) If it is not over, what in general terms have you got left to do?
I don't know, large part of work left to do with android is to figure out what's exactly left to do.

3) In the beta thread you stated that 'Android has been your least favorite Pandora project', why is this?
The reasons are mostly technical (besides of dislike of UI and how it works), I'm not fond of it's architecture in general, lots of Java and C++ code (not my favorite languages) mixed all around, it all looks messed up. Perhaps drawing some class diagrams would help to make some sense out of it, but I have no desire to go though this. There is lots of info about this on the net, but quite some of it is inaccurate or outdated and almost no official information about the internals to speak of. The logging system is useless for many problems, it logs a lots of useless stuff and often doesn't log what's failing. Most of it feels rushed and hacked up in general. A fair deal of problems come from closed SGX driver leaking resources and there is absolutely nothing I can do about that, which is another motivation crusher.

Well, it probably IS rushed and hacked up, as it derives from the smartphone world where "implement that feature - FAST!" is more important than doing it properly.

Android works okay so far, only really issues I see so far:

* Stuff like setting date, etc. doesn't work (no idea why)

* WiFi LED and WiFi connection is a bit weird. The WiFi LED doesn't always show the current WiFi status (i.e. on my Android when I bootup, the WiFi LED is on, but WiFi is off in Android).

* BT doesn't do anything (probably not included).

* Suspend doesn't properly work

* Second SD Card mounting... often it mounts and unmounts right after that. Maybe Android automounter is fighting with our own one?

I worked and played with it during the last few days... seems to work pretty well once you tweaked some CM7 settings.

notaz: Are you sure the SGX driver leaks? I didn't have any issues with slowing down recently... maybe it just does that with some games though.

I think once we got all that fixed, we could also work on a direct-from-SD-Boot version, which makes things easier to setup for new users :)

Last edited by a moderator:
what about the <<need to remove second sd to install bigger apps>> - issue?

.android_secure directory exists on my second sd, still no luck.

As said, older sgx in 256mb units have issues. Those don't seem to be present in 1ghz model, don't know about the 512mb units.

Suspend blanking is not a real issue:

If it is blank after auspend, just go to suspend again and wake up. The picture shouldbe there again, but not responsive. After waiting a little and pressing home button it should work again though.

Never had problems wirh sdcards autounmounting themselfves.

Back