Making the theme more... plastique

Ziz

Advanced Member
For me it is hard to tell, were a post ends and another begins. Also the beginning of the signature is hard to tell.

seconded. I'm sure that on the old site there the bars at the top of each message had a light blue background in the blue theme.  now they are barely distinguishable from the message background. 

-Neelix

I suspect the difference is that the username used to appear as a blue bar right the way across both the metadata and the body columns, so it was easy to get an overview of how many posts there were and where they were.

For me personally, the '+ quote' and 'like' buttons are enough of a clue that a post had ended and a new one is to begin when reading a thread though. I don't have sigs on though so don't know where those appear relative to those buttons.

It's because the white background under the white posting windows. So the spacing is not really visible. With  another BG color (or another post-window color) it should be fine. At least, there is some spacing between each post. ^^

I'll take a look at the old boards and will try to change the theme to be similar to that one, but still a bit fresher.

I'll take a look at the old boards and will try to change the theme to be similar to that one, but still a bit fresher.
It doesn't need to be made to look like the old one. Maybe changing the background color or making the lines/frame darker or thicker would make it easier to see.

Someone mentioned alternating colors for every other post.  If it had that then maybe we could get rid of the wasted space between posts.

Edit: I just checked the IPB support board and notice that they have a light grey background which helps distinguish individual posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't need to be made to look like the old one. Maybe changing the background color or making the lines/frame darker or thicker would make it easier to see. Someone mentioned alternating colors for every other post.  If it had that then maybe we could get rid of the wasted space between posts.

Speak for yourself! ;)   I for one would be much happier if it looked much closer to the old one.

-Neelix

It doesn't need to be made to look like the old one. Maybe changing the background color or making the lines/frame darker or thicker would make it easier to see. Someone mentioned alternating colors for every other post.  If it had that then maybe we could get rid of the wasted space between posts.

Speak for yourself! ;)   I for one would be much happier if it looked much closer to the old one.

-Neelix
That works, but I would prefer other things get fixed first.

ED's updated the theme so that now the multiquote/quote/like bar is coloured light grey.  Does that help in identifying the end of one post and the start of another, or do sigs confuse the matter still?

That helps separate the message from the sig better,  but not so much in marking the top of the next message. 

-Neelix

The grey bar containing user info looks good on the mobile version.  Very obvious where a post starts.

Much better, Thanks. :)        

I'm not sure about using such a dark colour for the the bar at the top of each message,  (it was a lighter blue before) it now stands out enough to be a distraction from the message text,   but I think I could get used to it. :)

-Neelix

Can't please everyone, I guess. I think the current greys on the user bar and thread lists are WAY too contrasty, making every thread look like a top level object in the layout.

Can't please everyone, I guess. I think the current greys on the user bar and thread lists are WAY too contrasty, making every thread look like a top level object in the layout.

Agreed, the contrast should be turned down a bit.

Yes, the current colour of the post header is a little bit to "strong", however, we are on a good way I guess.
I don't like the simple line between the posts, this is not needed if you adjust bg or post window colours a little bit to have an slight contrast there.
Another issue  which could be improved is the way to big "vote" function on the left of each post, it needs to much space, especialy onto the mobile Version. I'm sure this could be made smaller or even removing it,  I never vote posts at all.

Back