1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Malware insertion into DNA

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by Klumpen, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

2. sm0kew0n

sm0kew0n Active Member

I think the use of 'malware' is somewhat provocative. If your interested the original publication is attached.

Attached Files:

Djoga'Ro, rygD, FBnil and 1 other person like this.
  3. FBnil

FBnil ¡sɥʇuoɯ oʍʇ uı ɐɹʎԀ

waiting for Microsoft Antivirus for Homo Sapiens v1.0

Alpibrine28 and ible like this.
  4. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Advanced Member

Our DNA is already altered by food additives like the E211.

2coop4 and rygD like this.
  5. ElPoco

ElPoco Very Active Member

rygD likes this.
  6. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Is that the one where they modified the computer code to introduce a buffer overflow bug, then made DNA to exploit that buffer?

7. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Didn't read links, but it sounds like they want us to be worried about getting a virus from a virus. Yo dawg...

And what @ElPoco said.

And many other things we come into contact with. I'm looking at you, sunlight. Ahhh, my eyes!

Djoga'Ro, kuru and Klumpen like this.
  8. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

They crafted a string of DNA which, when read by a particular DNA sequencing program, triggers a buffer overflow and executes arbitrary, malicious code. It doesn't affect any other DNA, there's no way it can "infect" a living thing, it can only cause issue in this very specific application with this exact issue. Patch the buffer overflow and the problem disappears.

FBnil and rygD like this.
  9. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

That is pretty awesome, and completely pointless. Now I want to read the articles, but I need to finish the episode of SG-1 I started two days ago first.

Edit: Pointless from a practical perspective, that is.

10. sm0kew0n

sm0kew0n Active Member

You got me, hands up, I surrender. Laziness strikes again.

Attached is the original publication of the DNA sequencing software exploit research. Interesting to note that in their experimental setup the software was modified to contain a known vulnerability for the attack vector to exploit. However they also paint a gloomy picture of current bioinformatics software security and indeed, show that malware can be stored in DNA sequences.

Attached Files:

levi likes this.
  11. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

The paper admits that it's pointless in this case, it's merely to demonstrate that such things are possible and should be considered a possible threat in the future. Reasonably distant future, that is, once you have other technology and DNA testing becomes far more ubiquitous than it is now.

12. PCXT

PCXT Still Fresh

In 2007 I made an YVON spectrometer (machine used to analyze composition of fuel) result file to make the machine indicate "MV_MOTHERINLAW" component in all next tests. It was possible by making two passes of analysis totally different to the way that integration array started to write back into component names. It was quite fun (like playing Doom on a big telephone patch - did it once), but making the data physical indeed is interesting. I wonder is it possible to make such chemicals to sabotage their analysis systems?

levi and rygD like this.
  13. FBnil

FBnil ¡sɥʇuoɯ oʍʇ uı ɐɹʎԀ

You are not kidding....

Sodium benzoate is a preservative. As a food additive, sodium benzoate has the E number E211. Sodium benzoate is also used in fireworks...
    Cats have a significantly lower tolerance against benzoic acid. So our human food kills cats...
    It kills bacterias (also in your gut, so your good gut bacteria is killed)
    It seems it also chemically reacts to form benzenes (not good).

A paper published in the March 2015 Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture found that sodium benzoate has been replaced by potassium sorbate

Some molds (notably some Trichoderma and Penicillium strains) and yeasts are able to detoxify sorbates by decarboxylation, producing piperylene (1,3-pentadiene). The pentadiene manifests as a typical odor of kerosene or petroleum.
    Potassium sorbate is a skin, eye and respiratory irritant. Although some research implies that potassium sorbate has a long-term safety record,[16] in vitro studies have shown that it is both genotoxic and mutagenic to human blood cells. Potassium sorbate is found to be toxic to human DNA in peripheral blood lymphocytes, hence it negatively affects immunity.

nice... very VERY bad chemicals.

I like retroviruses though. It infects carnivore cells and transforms them into plants (by giving the cells the ability to photosyntesize).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  14. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I still like the sun as our best friend and worst enemy.

15. ible

ible Advanced Guard Tower

Once in California, previously in the Netherlands
    i thought our worst enemy was ourselves?

FaeMinx, rygD and FBnil like this.
  16. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

So I write some DNA-sequenzerware to blow up some nukes, when it recognizes your DNA, and then may send the AV Squad to contain the virus, i.e. your DNA, i.e. you?

FBnil likes this.