MAME GP2X 4.0

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
MAME GP2X 4.0, a new version of the MAME port for the GP2X with the following news:

A lot of improvements done by Slaanesh:
- Updated vlm5030 sound system. Provides speech and sound effects in a number of games like Yie Ar Kung Fu, Jail Break, Track and Field (and clones) or Salamander.
- Updated DAC sound system. Please use audio clock 100% for DAC games as they rely heavily on precise timing. Ie. Donkey Kong, etc.
- Update to FM sound system re: disappearing sound. Bug REALLY fixed this time. :).
- Added tilemapping code. Useful for adding new games and improving existing games.
- Updated Xain'D Sleena to use tilemaps. Large increase in speed. Plays nicely at 240Mhz.
- Updated Ghost'n Goblins to tilemaps. More tilemap games to come!.
- Fixed bug introduced in 3.9 re: samples not playing in Gorf, Wizard of Wor and Berzerk.
- Update to Sega System 8 games. Speed to games like Choplifter.
- Fixed Wonderboy in Monster Land (bootleg). Now playable with good sound.
- Bug fix to Time Pilot (memory leak).

- More accurate speed (e.g. 60 fps instead of 64 fps).
- Some optimizations in the sound thread.

The download is HERE.

You guys are fast. :)
Uh, will this system with 3 different gpe's stay? The most work with MAME on GP2X for me ist to find the best settings and GPE for the games. Ok, now I have a clue about a good standard 200MHz setting from another thread. I'm sure, bigger Games like Strider will run much faster with the new MAME.
But to save batteries I have to test every obvious simple game (Pacman, Bubble Bobble...) to find the best performance/underclocking compromise. (I love to underclock :) ) And I have no clue which sort of games benefits from which core, Setting etc. For example, when you say DAC Games need 100% audio Clock, I ask: "what is a DAC GAME" :lol: And which games need this...and so on. I still have no clue, which games really benefit from the DRZ 80 core for example. All with this thing build in as CPU or these with DRZ80 sound core to? or not...or....

MAME is maybe just to big to find one good setting for all (or the most) games. Maybe the wiki should be updated to have the latest and best settings for each game. ^^"""

I use the frontend made by Zaq121:

Get it here

I think it filters the games by their needed executables, anyway ... it makes sorting games easier ;)

Man, and there was me in the other thread saying "I hope it's not too many months before the next release"... And you guys churn another one out already!

<Eagerly scuttles off to download...>

:-D

Nice pickup slaanesh!

The baby is giving me a moment, so let me put in a request.. a beg, almost ;)

If its possible to backport some of the system16 fixes from a slightly later MAME (version forgotten, sorry), I would be grateful. Specifically, I'm looking for Quartet ;)

Either way.. nice fixes. Tilemaps ftw!

jeff

The sound in all the games I have tested so far is super. Games like Donkey Kong and Asteroids 2 can now be made to sound great. Super release!
Great job guys!!!

bagmouse7 said:
The sound in all the games I have tested so far is super. Games like Donkey Kong and Asteroids 2 can now be made to sound great. Super release!
Great job guys!!!
The sound in Donkey Kong is actually much worse in this build for me (Donkey Kong jr too, lets out a loud beep when you jump). It crackles an pops more and sometimes things like the opening tune doesn't play at all. Other samples sound like the timing is off.

Are you using the regular MAME or the Compatible one?

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
The sound in Donkey Kong is actually much worse in this build for me (Donkey Kong jr too, lets out a loud beep when you jump). It crackles an pops more and sometimes things like the opening tune doesn't play at all. Other samples sound like the timing is off.

I sent you a PM DaveC. I am beginning to suspect you have bad sample files...?

BTW - The compatible build only differs in one respect - it used the 'C' code for the 68K engine rather than cyclone ASM engine, so only 68K games would be effected.

skeezix said:
Nice pickup slaanesh!

The baby is giving me a moment, so let me put in a request.. a beg, almost ;)

If its possible to backport some of the system16 fixes from a slightly later MAME (version forgotten, sorry), I would be grateful. Specifically, I'm looking for Quartet ;)

Either way.. nice fixes. Tilemaps ftw!

jeff
I've had a look at 0.37b6 and I'm going to try to shoe-horn system16 drivers from this build into MAME GP2X.

I think it's do-able, which means that there may be some new system16 games coming... ;-)

Thank you guys :)

( Next compatible games ?-->Wardner, In the Hunt :) :D ) ^_______^

"- Added tilemapping code. Useful for adding new games and improving existing games. "

sounds very sexy ... but please .. more details

DaveC said:
bagmouse7 said:
Great job guys!!!

Your right, I've borked some of the DAC code... I've fixed it now. Donkey Kong and DK Jr were atrocious! :D

TelcoLou said:
I use the frontend made by Zaq121:

Get it here

I think it filters the games by their needed executables, anyway ... it makes sorting games easier ;)

Oh, I always used just the standard frontend in combination with Gmenu2X selector. :) maybe I try this alt. frontend.

Everyone here mentioned Donkey Kong. Its one of the games I don't get to work. Many of the roms I tried don't work (I do rebuilding to 0.34 set of course). Only the bootlegs seems to work like the ones from PacMan, Bubble Bobble Arcanoid etc. But the original Games won't run. Strange.

fusion_power said:
Only the bootlegs seems to work like the ones from PacMan, Bubble Bobble Arcanoid etc. But the original Games won't run. Strange.
Bubble Bobble is not supposed to run. The protection for this game is not emulated in this emu yet. Slaanesh advised to use Bobble Bobble. There are some other games where protection is not emulated where clones are required to be used, but I can't remember which ones.

@slaanesh

Star Trek samples are working 100% for me now (they didn't work at all previous release even with your updated pack).

slaanesh said:
BTW - The compatible build only differs in one respect - it used the 'C' code for the 68K engine rather than cyclone ASM engine, so only 68K games would be effected.
Why is there a need for that, maybe Cyclone can be fixed? What games still require the 'C' core to work?

Back