MAME GP2X 4.0

pspikes2 still looses sounds after a while (30 sec - 5 minutes of playing). tried different settings with all three binaries. :-(

joe

Good work!! :p
I tested this, and Strider is almost fullspeed at 266 Mhz :)
Yeah, it`s a great release... But the sound in Super Pang... It continue like a cat xD
Bye :D

notaz said:
slaanesh said:
BTW - The compatible build only differs in one respect - it used the 'C' code for the 68K engine rather than cyclone ASM engine, so only 68K games would be effected.
Why is there a need for that, maybe Cyclone can be fixed? What games still require the 'C' core to work?

Roadblasters is the main culprit I can think of.

It works with the compatible core but not cyclone. Notaz, if you can fix it that would be awesome (loved Roadblasters!)

EDIT: Roadblasters actually uses a 68010 - could this be the problem? MAME doesn't support 68010, though it's supposed to be the "same" as a 68000. Looks like there *is* a slight difference somewhere.

jose said:
pspikes2 still looses sounds after a while (30 sec - 5 minutes of playing). tried different settings with all three binaries. :-(

joe
Yes, sorry this is a different bug to what I fixed. Other games were losing sound AFTER changing to another game. This game loses sound DURING the game... I don't know why (yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work guys, I love being able to play Berzerk and Wizard of Wor complete with voice, wherever I want :)

This project is the #1 reason to own a GP2X, and even if there were nothing else available, it would be easily enough to justify getting a GP2X :)

--Zero

notaz said:
slaanesh said:
BTW - The compatible build only differs in one respect - it used the 'C' code for the 68K engine rather than cyclone ASM engine, so only 68K games would be effected.
Why is there a need for that, maybe Cyclone can be fixed? What games still require the 'C' core to work?

Long ago it was a list of 10 or so (including some System 16 games), with the latest version i think they are only the next ones (maybe i forgot someone):
- Road Blasters
- Indiana Jones
Really i'm thinking to remove the compatible executable for the next version, because these two games run really slow anyway....

About modifying Cyclone, i remember they both use MAME managed memory areas, then i don't think it would be worth... The same problem occurs with DrZ80, it always use direct memory access, and it doesn't take into account the MAME managed memory areas (encryption, protection, etc).

antaresuk said:
"pick it up for speedup" great change guys, speech with salamander is awesome cheers

Salamander now has speech? Excellent, that will bring back a few memories! :)

slaanesh said:
Roadblasters actually uses a 68010 - could this be the problem? MAME doesn't support 68010, though it's supposed to be the "same" as a 68000. Looks like there *is* a slight difference somewhere.

If my memory serves me right (we're talking 20 years ago :() the 68010 had some extra instructions (which I guess could be added to Cyclone if they're not supported?) - I have a feeling there were other changes though.

EDIT:
Some info here http://www.cpu-collection.de/?tn=0&l0=cl&l1=68010

EDIT2:
Looking through my (yellowed) 68000 PRM..
SSP & SR the same, but added VBR & SFC/DFC for 68010..
A loop mode for ABCD/ADD/AND/ASL/ASR/CLR/CMP/EOR/LSL/LSR/MOVE/etc etc - which I think would only affect speed.
Mmmm virtual machine capability.. <yikes>
Move from SR now privileged instruction.

Franxis said:
Really i'm thinking to remove the compatible executable for the next version, because these two games run really slow anyway....

About modifying Cyclone, i remember they both use MAME managed memory areas, then i don't think it would be worth... The same problem occurs with DrZ80, it always use direct memory access, and it doesn't take into account the MAME managed memory areas (encryption, protection, etc).
I, too, wonder if the compatible version is worth it...

If cyclone can be modified so that Road Blasters works I'd be very excited. It's one of those games I used to play at my local arcades. I loved it when it first came out!

Thanks for the great emulator... and I love being able to play Start Trek again. Reminds me of my younger days... popping in the quarters like there was no tomorrow. But I have a question... though I am finally able to play Star Trek on MAME... I don't have sound. Is there something I need or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks...

Ripster said:
Thanks for the great emulator... and I love being able to play Start Trek again. Reminds me of my younger days... popping in the quarters like there was no tomorrow. But I have a question... though I am finally able to play Star Trek on MAME... I don't have sound. Is there something I need or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks...
You will need the sample pack which needs to go in the samples directory.

You can find a link to the download in the previous MAME 3.9 thread.

Just added a couple more games for the next version of MAME. Nothing really exciting unless you are into older games (rom 0.35):

Sky Lancer
Funky Bee

Improved:
Space Panic (now has sounds using samples and DAC)

And you already know (from 0.37b12):
Pandora's Palace

I had a detailed look at system16 games... It's going to be difficult at best as there is a bit of new hardware required.

slaanesh said:
Just added a couple more games for the next version of MAME. Nothing really exciting unless you are into older games (rom 0.35):

Sky Lancer
Funky Bee

Improved:

Pandora's Palace

I had a detailed look at system16 games... It's going to be difficult at best as there is a bit of new hardware required.
Notaz and Pepe_Faruk have also sent me some really interesting source codes... The next version will be great... :D :D :D

Franxis said:
slaanesh said:

Sky Lancer
Funky Bee

Improved:

Pandora's Palace

Notaz and Pepe_Faruk have also sent me some really interesting source codes... The next version will be great... :D :D :D

¡¡¡¡¡Yujuuuuu!!! :D

Back