Mame Gp2x 4.2

I found that many older games like Ms Pac-Man do sound MUCH better at 22 Khz. At the old 15Khz setting the sound is fluttery and had alot of pops and clicks. Those are gone at the new 22 KHz setting. So that is a good default setting for games that run fast enough to use it.

Thanks for the great work :)

Many games sound extremely good at 44kHz (using headphones, else you'd probably not really notice).

I'm curious though, as to why using 44kHz instead of 22 or 15 appears to impact the speed so heavily. Many other types of emulators' speeds are barely affected by output sample rate. AFAICT this is sort of due to the actual sound processing having to be done whatever, and the detail it becomes rendered in only contributes like 10% of the work done.

This is not a criticism of Mame GP2x - I love the 4.2 release. I'm just interested.

Laser said:
Many games sound extremely good at 44kHz (using headphones, else you'd probably not really notice).

I'm curious though, as to why using 44kHz instead of 22 or 15 appears to impact the speed so heavily. Many other types of emulators' speeds are barely affected by output sample rate. AFAICT this is sort of due to the actual sound processing having to be done whatever, and the detail it becomes rendered in only contributes like 10% of the work done.

This is not a criticism of Mame GP2x - I love the 4.2 release. I'm just interested.
A lot of processing power is needed for 44 khz sound mixing. Also the sound mixing routines are not optimized enough... I have to optimize them... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back