Mame Gp2x Doesn't List All Roms In The Roms Folder

saab340

Still Fresh
I recently got a GP2X F-100 MK2 value pack.

I have installed mame gp2x version 5.0.

Some of the roms are working. However, some others that I copied into the roms subfolder are not being displayed in the list of roms when I start the software. Looks like the software is not detecting them.
But these roms work perfectly on my pc running mame32.

Could there be some formatting problems here? When I take a look inside the zip files I find that the ones that don't work contain .bin files. But this couldn't be the problem, since one of the ones that does work also consists of .bin files.

Mame on Gp2x does not run every single game for Mame on PC. See listgames.txt in the original .ZIP file of Gp2x Mame to get the list of supported games. The games that are not supported won't show on the menu of the emulator.

Besides, you will need roms in the format of Mame 0.34. Newer versions of the roms may not work (and I'm sure that you're using a newer version on your PC). See http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Mame to convert your games or look for repositories for Mame 0.34 in the Internet. Anyway, these new-formated games will show up on the menu of your Gp2x, but won't work.

saab340 said:
However, some others that I copied into the roms subfolder are not being displayed in the list of roms when I start the software. Looks like the software is not detecting them.
Exactly, e.g. 'MOON WALKER' (moonwalk.zip) or 'MOON WALKER bootleg' (moonwlkb.zip) with mame_gp2x v5.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mame emulator on gp2x is superb it doesn't play or show roms because of the rom sets are not recognized by the emulator you will have to get the right rom sets to play them, try 4.7 version rom sets these roms usually work.

In the file archieve you can download the newer version of mame 5.1 emulator it suppose to play more games than previous version.

sukhigp said:
The mame emulator on gp2x is superb it doesn't play or show roms because of the rom sets are not recognized by the emulator you will have to get the right rom sets to play them.
Hmm, each rom in the archiv has the right name and the right size, i can't see where the problem lies. :blink:

In the file archieve you can download the newer version of mame 5.1 emulator it suppose to play more games than previous version.

Yes, i've already downloaded it, and i've found another issue. Every time i start 'SUPER HANGON' (with no rom errors) the emu quits.

Thanks anyway, sukhigp :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked and you're right. Mame 0.34 doesn't support all the games of the later mame versions.

But I'm wondering about this tool called clrmame. Will that let you convert the newer games into the format of 3.4? What are the limitations?

Back