Mame4All 2.5 - Video Aspect - "border" Option Is Missing?

euroweb

Still Fresh
Is it just me or are there video aspect options, that are described in the readme.txt for MAME4All v2.5 that are not available in the emulator options?

The bottom row in the girders screen in Donkey Kong, just to cite one example, is mostly off the screen due to this. It also trims part of the top screen (e.g. part of 'BONUS' timer)...

Any tips on how to get the screen adjusted, or is rotate the only option for Donkey Kong and games like it that shows the entire screen on the Caanoo?

Also seems my Caanoo's clock speed is set to 700 MHz for all emulators, even though some supposedly have lower defaults (unless I missread that - it is past 2 AM so forgive me if that is wrong - I will verify it later today).
Time for bed...

I would love to know what the recommended settings are.

E.g. my MAME4aLL 'Clock is set to '700 MHZ' (should be 'MHz' of course)
My MAME4All 'CPU Clock' is '80%'
Since both of these clock settings can be changed independently, what does each one mean?
Thanks!

Yeah you've discovered the one hardware bug with the caanoo. Every GP handheld had something they screwed up on, with the caanoo it's the plastic bezel that surrounds the screen. It slightly covers it!

How they released it like that I don't know, but like I said they did something to each and every console, and to be honest this is the least intrusive of them all, which tells you just how intrusive some of the other problems were! ;-)

We've all been hoping for a software fix but to my knowledge it's never come.

There is however a fix for it if you can handle it:
Cover Problem Fixed

I got close to opening mine up but chickened out. I might try it one day, but to be honest I can work my way around the issue. Considering how otherwise great the unit is I can almost forgive them.. almost.

Last edited by a moderator:
alyinsanfran said:
Yeah you've discovered the one hardware bug with the caanoo. Every GP handheld had something they screwed up on, with the caanoo it's the plastic bezel that surrounds the screen. It slightly covers it!

How they released it like that I don't know, but like I said they did something to each and every console, and to be honest this is the least intrusive of them all, which tells you just how intrusive some of the other problems were! ;-)

We've all been hoping for a software fix but to my knowledge it's never come.

There is however a fix for it if you can handle it:
Cover Problem Fixed

I got close to opening mine up but chickened out. I might try it one day, but to be honest I can work my way around the issue. Considering how otherwise great the unit is I can almost forgive them.. almost.

Thanks! I love the Caanoo overall.

For the hidden / covered pixels issue, I am using a workaround that involves simply rotating the screen (via the options). It comes at the expense of not using the ideal resolution, although, come to think of it, the arcade games in question had screens that were taller than wide.

What I don't understand, though, is that several documented video aspect options are missing (see my initial post).
One of them is 'border' which might have helped (if I am correctly guessing what exactly it does).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back