Marketplace For Openpandora Commercial Games And Apps

I guess I was focusing too much for exclusive titles...

Well I have a friend who creates games for iPhone/iPodTouch and earns some money in return. I would Really like to tell him "hey, you could create games for Pandora instead!", in which he would most certainly would ask "how would I make money?" and this is where I do not have a good answer. If there would be Pandora app store I still could say something like "it's as easy as for iPhone. Yes, the market is smaller, but it's open platform, it's worth to support it!". Now when I imagine all hassle of implementing e-shop, marketing, etc. I don't feel it would be worth it for him. It feels too complicated.

I have a dream of attempting to create something myself, but same issues would apply to me as well.

Edit: Thanks Jourdy288! Your advice perhaps is the best I could think of right now. :)

I see the logic behind your idea of the app store, not just for people buying, but more for people creating. Again, the trouble is, we need more inertia. One of the problems is that we need to have a platform for it, like an app browser, payment integration, etc. A better bet, though, is to attract up and coming programmers, willing to make stuff for free. The people we need to buy the Pandora are the people who understand open source.

And thanks, I'm glad I helped you!

Tenuki said:
Well I have a friend who creates games for iPhone/iPodTouch and earns some money in return. I would Really like to tell him "hey, you could create games for Pandora instead!", in which he would most certainly would ask "how would I make money?" and this is where I do not have a good answer. If there would be Pandora app store I still could say something like "it's as easy as for iPhone. Yes, the market is smaller, but it's open platform, it's worth to support it!". Now when I imagine all hassle of implementing e-shop, marketing, etc. I don't feel it would be worth it for him. It feels too complicated.
If that's all you're worried about then you're fears are misplaced. It's a fledgling device, so a lot of the details (such as an app store, where people can get paid for their code) need to be dealt with, but they will be dealt with in time. Craig once said he hoped for something akin to the existing archive where people can pay (though I can't recal when and where he said it, so I may be misremembering) but it would take time to implement properly. They don't have the same resources to throw at the project that Apple and Sony do. Tell your friend that it will, eventually, be as easy as for iPhone, and let the devs work out the details.
There is no doubt in my mind that something will come along to make it easy for people to get paid for their stuff. I have no objections to this. The debate was whether it is OpenPandora's responsibility to implement copy protection measures directly into the system, or let the people that actually want the copy protection develop and pay for it.
I am firmly on the "if they want it, they should develop it themselves" side.
Others, and I had assumed you as well from your responses, feel that OpenPandora should do the necessary work.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like what foxblock said a few pages back about a file system housing all the apps, but...

A more immediate and simpler way to do this would be by another forum subcategory.
just call it "APPS" and then it has subcategories which include different genre's of applications, plus a "general" tab. All members would be immediately able to make topics in the general category(maybe make it mandatory to attach a file to the post, to cut down on spam) and the developers can then send a pm or ask in the post to have 2 locked threads made in the appropriate app subcategory (ie: "games") the first thread being made only for the update and release of newer versions of their game, and the second thread(not mandatory) for direct comments and conversations about their game.

just my 2 cents

Back