Porting DoomRL to the OpenPandora?

kc187

Still Fresh
Hey guys,

So I would really like to see DoomRL make an appearance on the OpenPandora. (http://doom.chaosforge.org/)

I, however, know absolutely nothing about porting a game... but I do know the mantra is "no source, no port."

The developers over there do have a stable Linux build, and I was curious if it could just be PNDified? If not, what should I ask from the developers for a successful port?

However this works, I am more than willing to do the legwork.

KC

You say they have a stable linux build but it probably for Linux desktop PCs - that is, computers running x86 architecture processors (intel and AMD). The Pandora uses an ARM architecture processor, so you won't be able to use the Linux build on the pandora since different CPU architectures are incompatible. If, however, they have a build for Linux on ARM architectures, it may well work. You will have to ask the developers if they have made / are making an ARM port or if it would be possible to make one.

theres like 4 different doom engines on pandora as we speak. what sets this one apart?

You say they have a stable linux build but it probably for Linux desktop PCs - that is, computers running x86 architecture processors (intel and AMD). The Pandora uses an ARM architecture processor, so you won't be able to use the Linux build on the pandora since different CPU architectures are incompatible. If, however, they have a build for Linux on ARM architectures, it may well work. You will have to ask the developers if they have made / are making an ARM port or if it would be possible to make one.

I spaced that, haha. Yeah I guess it wouldn't run on an OP without some sort of emulation because it's an ARM processor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Android is run on ARM devices, correct? (Last time I did anything Computer Science-y was when Pentium 4's were new. Forgive me.) If that's the case, could you PND an Android build without much trouble?

Generally what I'm getting at here is I need to know what to ask for so when I write the email.

Thanks again guys.

KC

Android is a whole different kettle of fish.

What we need to know is if they use any x86 specific code (assembly code, for example, or assumptions about memory) or if they use OpenGL. If either of these are true then at least partial rewrites would be required. If they use all open source libraries and no OpenGL then recompiling it should be a breeze. I'm going to guess that they use OpenGL though.

The new version uses a graphical interface that does look OpenGLish. But there is a slightly older version that is ASCII based, ala Angband or Nethack.

Asking over on their forums if it was possible to get an ARM port, I got this reply:

"In theory I don't think there is anything technical that prevents this from building for the ARM architecture, especially since if there's already a Linux+SDL+FreePascal toolchain for it."

Forum link: http://forum.chaosfo...pic,5676.0.html

Is this at all useful to this cause?

Oh and by the way... I officially announce a bounty for this. ESPECIALLY for the graphical version. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the Pandora has a FreePascal port here. The author mentions a cross-compiler, so I'll check it out after dinner. No guarantees though, I'm still an amateur at programming.

It's probably too early to announce a bounty though -_-

Sorry, it doesn't look like they've released the source (I didn't notice that before). So, I can't port it :( . But, you could always try contacting the authors. This looks like a fun game, I'd play it.

Sorry, it doesn't look like they've released the source (I didn't notice that before). So, I can't port it :( . But, you could always try contacting the authors. This looks like a fun game, I'd play it.

I was planning on it. :)

I'd be up for porting this - I already have a Debian/lazarus/FPC system up and running for porting my Delphi code. I'd love to see Lazarus on the Pandora also, but it doesn't look like the Pandora can handle it :(

D.

I'd be up for porting this - I already have a Debian/lazarus/FPC system up and running for porting my Delphi code. I'd love to see Lazarus on the Pandora also, but it doesn't look like the Pandora can handle it :(

D.

So what do you need to make it happen?

So what do you need to make it happen?

Source code/assets for a start - I have an x86->ARM toolchain set up for FPC (PandaBAS is developed in Delphi and ported to Pandora regularly using it) and would be very happy to work on this.

D.

Back