I quit my job to go full time Indie

Because Indie Dev's are not releasing source for free
Not all of them, true. Are you saying that the only games worth playing are the ones you can only get in binary format?
in most cases , yes. If you producing something, and You know this thing generates profits [read: game is fun and addictive, and people are buy it and will buy it.], you'll not give it for free that easily. Otherwise you must be a fan of OSS :p  and you dont appreciate your free time [when coding good stuff].

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I got you now. It isn't that OP "doesn't have love" for indie devs, it's that you believe it doesn't have the market for the specific kind of indie developers that value their work enough to charge for it.

in other words i said many times here and there: Theres no positive force-feedback between OP community <> indie devs. Not many people from OP boards writes to indie devs with port question*, so not many Indie devs knows about existence of OP. We as a communiy should be involved more in active searching of devs and ask them about ports and the costs for a port. It might be that maybe some of them will port it for free. You never know. Some might be pricey but if we get a $$ bounty maybe we will get what we want so badly on OP.

If we could get more community involvement in active searching of indie devs that could make a port for OP, then i can say: "we have more love for indie dev .. now"

*- ZXDunny comes in mind, with his involvement FMN and Spheres of Chaos. He did awesome job to show , that closed source and commercial app can be ported and even released free on OP. But firstly community must be involved in active searching and asking indie dev questions.

in other words i said many times here and there: Theres no positive force-feedback between OP community <> indie devs. Not many people from OP boards writes to indie devs with port question, so not many Indie devs knows about existence of OP. We as a communiy should be involved more in active searching of devs and ask them about ports and the costs for a port. It might be that maybe some of them will port it for free. You never know. Some might be pricey but if we get a $$ bounty maybe we will get what we want so badly on OP.
Isn't this what I said in my first post in this thread that ED/OPT team may want to go out there and convince indie devs....?

in other words i said many times here and there: Theres no positive force-feedback between OP community <> indie devs. Not many people from OP boards writes to indie devs with port question, so not many Indie devs knows about existence of OP. We as a communiy should be involved more in active searching of devs and ask them about ports and the costs for a port. It might be that maybe some of them will port it for free. You never know. Some might be pricey but if we get a $$ bounty maybe we will get what we want so badly on OP.
Isn't this what I said in my first post in this thread that ED/OPT team may want to go out there and convince indie devs....?
Im talking about it whole the time [not only in this topic]. But i think it shouldnt be on ED's head, I think the whole community should be more active in it.. ED doing enough for community and the project. Let him doing P2 stuff. Community should focus on searching indie devs..

in other words i said many times here and there
Well yes, but you never distinguished between "indie devs", which is a general term for anyone who develops without major studio backing, and the indie devs which specifically belong to minor studios which charge money for their game. By not making the distinction you were implicitly saying that the only way to show appreciation at all was by giving money, and that the work of every non-monetary indie dev that has contributed to the Pandora was therefore worthless.Knowing now that in your mind when you said "indie dev" you really meant specifically the indie dev studios which release games for sale puts the whole argument in a completely different light.

"No love for indie devs" really means "no market for indie dev studios to make money".

I'm actively working hard to make good games for the GCW-Zero handheld system and I thought it would be great to include the OpenPandora into my porting capabilities. I was thinking I can host an OpenPandora specific crowd-funding for every game I intend to port over to the system. Do you think $3 for a game on the OpenPandora is too much?
Depends on the game. But one thing to realize is that you won't get much exposure here so you'll have to advertise and probably make sure to be a fixture around here. I hope that the people that handle the repositories will make a change so that commercial apps are visible from the handheld, as it is, the only people that see commercial apps are those that browse the repo on the website.

$3 is something that I'd be willing to pay, assuming that it's a good game and in a genre that I'm interested in.

Oh, and make sure that you sell the PNDs on your site. You have to manually copy and manage them either way, so it's probably less of a concern than it would be for Android or iPhone. I get the feeling that you'll sell more of them if you do it that way than through the repository. At bare minimum have a link from your site to the appropriate repository entry.

BTW. My first attempt to contact indie dev i made in 2009 when there was no OP even in hands of ED

http://forum.idreams.pl/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=2293

I did few email conversations about games with indies and future OP Handheld, but the topic died when they couldnt get any info from me about future of OP [and it was circa 2010]  

So as You can see.. theres a reason to ask a questions. There's a reason to be involoed in active searching for indie devs... 

I hope You know what excellent games they do: Sky Force + K-Rally. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6gk0xPB8DQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lySkkjuMqhY

Cough, stay on topic. I only own a GCW-Zero, so porting to OP may be take a few days as well as collaboration with people who actually own the system. I'm aware there is an actual store-app for OP, correct?

Yes there is the pnd store. Good software for the Panda is quite welcome.

Edit: Crimelife looks sweet for the GTA3 kiddies. Is it open gl or direct x?

The repo you mean? PND store is the slightly basic app contained in the firmware that can download things from it (although I don't think it can handle paid apps on there - and neither can PND Manager by the looks of it).

Yes there is the pnd store. Good software for the Panda is quite welcome.

Edit: Crimelife looks sweet for the GTA3 kiddies. Is it open gl or direct x?
Indeed, there is, however as of today, you still can't see any of the commercial apps there, unless you browse the repo directly from a web browser.

It would interesting to know how Exo is going with sales of Drastic on Android vs Pandora , ballpark $ wise.  That should give an indicator on whats to be expected on something that is popular.

Drastic on Android vs Pandora
Drastic is free on the Pandora. 10K downloads.

Android: 100K-500K Paid version

Demo Version (free): 500K-1000K

It would interesting to know how Exo is going with sales of Drastic on Android vs Pandora , ballpark $ wise.  That should give an indicator on whats to be expected on something that is popular.
It's really not a good indicator of how well indie games can sell.

I'm actually pretty shocked to hear 10k downloads on Pandora, granted that counts every version (Android sales do not)

In UK minimal wage should oscillating in 900-1000 pounds. Am i right with minimal wage in UK rght now? [im not sure]
I'm not sure actually what the official amount is there days, although when I say 'junior programmer' salary, I'm talking more like 20,000 - 25,000 GBP per year. After our first year, we have actually been somewhat profitable, and could match or exceed average UK games developer salaries, however we are instead cautious and use most profits to stabilise the company. When you are working on a project and the money is coming in everyone is happy, but just two or three months with no projects and four of five salaries to pay can be a big drain, so we have found you really do need to try and have a money buffer in the bank. Plus we have multiple occasions where we have done work, but then have to wait 60, 90 or 120 days to receive the money, in that time obviously you need to be able to keep paying everyone, so again a buffer is required. This is obviously less of a concern if you are working by yourself (although you obviously still need to make sure you have enough for rent/bills/food/etc.)

The decision to release KAMI RETRO as a paid title on the Pandora was never one to really make money for us, as we knew the Pandora is never going to make us very much money we could have just made the game free, but we feel the game has a certain value, if others agree they can pay for it, if they don't that's cool. In terms of effort vs reward, the Pandora port didn't pay for itself. It didn't take *much* effort to port to the Pandora, but it only takes a day or two of developer time to eat up small Pandora revenue. To get some perspective, a decent developer can get 350 GBP per day working on a corporate mobile application (some will get even more, but obviously it gets rarer), so a few days of doing that will most likely exceed the revenue received on Pandora over a number of years.

In terms of what revenue you can get on other platforms, well somewhere between $0.00 and $3,750,000.00 per day (no, that isn't a typo, you can earn $3.75 million USD per day, look at something like Puzzle & Dragons). The majority of releases actually make more like $0.00 (or little more than the cost of the developer license), and there is no 'set' amount a decent game will make. If you get a decent charting position on iOS you will get a few thousand dollars per day, typically you drop out of the charts pretty quickly though. I'm not so knowledgeable about Steam.

Crime Life 3 was made in Game-Maker, so it used DirectX I believe, they haven't ported to OpenPandora, but they work on Ubuntu Linux...

Back