Pandora Apps Competition

Tenuki

Still Fresh
I've just discovered a page "Android Developer Challenge": http://code.google.com/android/adc/
Total prize budget: $2.275.000 (yes - USD)
They are going to award these Dollars to best developers.

I find this as very effective way to encourage software developers to compete by creating quality software. I know that OpenPandora creators and Google are a bit different "weight category" so to speak, but still - main idea of competition preferably with some prizes - I feel it could be good for this as well. Even without prizes it sounds better than no competition at all.

Maybe Pandora's release day would be good to announce this competition? "Get your Pandora, Develop a cool app and Prove you are da Best!"

What are your thoughts regarding this?

There is a dev fund, you know?

Oh yeah, being like Google and having shitloads of money would be cool. Imagine you could buy all Linux lead developers off their projects and let the competition die, now wouldn't that be cool?
/sarcasm

Sorry, I had to. :unsure:

I think we'll see another go around of donations to the dev fund once the Pandora is out, as long as there's no additional banking crisis at work. I can imagine two ways of going about this: putting a bounty on specific applications that need developing, and doing what Android did, by offering prize money for the best app without any restrictions on what the app does. There are undoubtedly other ways to handle the dev fund, though.

I was originally for a bounty system where Pandora owners would submit app ideas and people would vote for which should get the most cash, but with how much Pandora software has developed I don't know if there are enough big prizes. We already have N64 and Dreamcast WIPs, there is a large ARM repository, and plenty of users will be creating fixes and other things left and right. A competition might be the way to go.

I was reading a while back that those who've contributed to the dev fund will get access to a special development area, will this be restricted to financial contributors only?

Dead1nside said:
I was reading a while back that those who've contributed to the dev fund will get access to a special development area, will this be restricted to financial contributors only?
Wherever you read that from, but it wasn't official. Craig's last word (and please forgive me, as my google-fu is failing) was that there is not yet any official use for the dev fund. Unless I misremember.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was one of Craig's ideas. In fact he started a thread about it. I can't remember if he decided to go ahead or not; I remember there being a variety of opinions on the subject.

There have been development competitions in this communtiy since way before Android was invented. It's a tradition that will probably be continued once the Pandora is out.

Tokiopop said:
$2.275.000 doesn't seem like much to me.
I was in a coding competition where the prize was just a DS. No second or third prize, just first. There are some people that will compete just for the satisfaction of winning. Make a proper announcement on the internet, and these people will find you, no problem. $2'275 is plenty.

(naw)mcx said:
Why can't we just all use commas, I swear to god, That system is so stupid,
I vote for the use of spaces as thousand separators. Are we having a poll?

(naw)mcx said:
I know right.
Commas instead of periods for decimals is fine, but the other way is madness.
Spaces FTW.

Oh and yes there will be competitions.

(naw)mcx said:
That's what I was getting at, for those who couldn't see the bold full stop ;)

OrR said:
There have been development competitions in this communtiy since way before Android was invented. It's a tradition that will probably be continued once the Pandora is out.

Indeed - look on the F-200 and the installed games are probably all competition winners. There's a reasonable chance that Android got the idea of a coding competition from existing communities like this one, so the idea of us learning the idea from them is a little like something to do with eggs, sucking, and grandmothers. IMHO. YMMV.

WizardStan said:
Dead1nside said:
Wherever you read that from, but it wasn't official. Craig's last word (and please forgive me, as my google-fu is failing) was that there is not yet any official use for the dev fund. Unless I misremember.

IIRC just about every possible use for the dev fund, except for burning it to keep warm (perhaps!) has been suggested - including that it would likely be used to part-fund (again, IIRC0 coding competitions. Certainly a coding competition specifically for Pandora has been mentioned at least twice, several months apart.

Back