Mass Storage Mode Issues

Viral18

Hey, Just installed Hotfix 3 and was interested in testing the mass storage mode, (yes, I've restarted after running the hotfix) but I get the error:

"Error.
The card could not be unmounted

Please make sure to close any programs that currently access the SD card"

I've closed everything so I have no idea why it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Betty Al had the same problem posted in the beta testing thread, I don't know if he solved it. Just check that thread.

edit:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54724-pandora-hotfix-3-beta-test/page__view__findpost__p__882087

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
Betty Al had the same problem posted in the beta testing thread, I don't know if he solved it. Just check that thread.

Thanks for the link. It seems his 'just worked' on a reboot, but I've rebooted and it still has that issue. I also have a card with no PND's on it as well, which won't be unmounted, so I don't think it's anything to do with the applications themselves. Mine also won't unmount SD's via the file manager, but I think I remember reading that Thunar has that issue with the Pandora, so I assume everyone has that problem?. Just tell me when I'm at the stage when I need to try a re-flash XD.

[Edit: removing all cards? I'll try that now thanks :) ]

[Edit 2: No success. Removed cards, rebooted, put cards back in but SD mass storage mode still can't unmount them :]

Alerino said:
open terminal, type mount and enter
paste here

Here's the output:

Code:
utopia18-openpandora:~$ mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
ubi0:rootfs on / type ubifs (rw,bulk_read)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /mnt/.splash type tmpfs (rw,size=40k)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
tmpfs on /media/ram type tmpfs (rw)
ubi1:boot on /boot type ubifs (rw)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmcblk0p1 type vfat (rw,dirsync,noatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmcblk1p1 type vfat (rw,dirsync,noatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)
utopia18-openpandora:~$

I'm getting the same issue.

Tried removing cards and rebooting. No go.

This worked with beta 1 of hotfix 3

Hm, nothing has changed in unmounting from Hotfix 1 to Hotfix 3...

Open a terminal and try:

lsof /media/mmcblk0p1 (or use your card name).

No software available to kill, so I'd imagine it should be unmountable.
I'll try ED's suggestion in a sec, but while my Pandora's just booted, another 'issue' (not sure if it is because it doesn't really do anything AFAICT) after logon I get the error:
"Could not look up Internet address for utopia18-openpandora.
This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding utopia18-openpandora to the file /etc/hosts on your system. "

I've always had this message, but I don't fully understand it. I've tried making the change to the hosts file it suggests but I don't have that level of writing privilege it seems, and I'm not so good yet with the terminal :\ Sorry if this is an irrelevant issue to this thread, just posted it in case it may be linked somehow (?)

EvilDragon said:
Open a terminal and try:

Okay after realizing I typed it in wrong it did something... don't know what, but it did it...
Both cards are mounted, and still won't unmount though :s

I get the same

EDIT: I get Unable to mount, cannot open /media/.hal-mtab

jonlad1 said:
I get the same

We're such linux noobs :p That command lists open files on the media. The fact we got nothing, I assume means that the cards weren't in use, so should theoretically be unmountable, but they still aren't :\

Viral18 said:
I'll try ED's suggestion in a sec, but while my Pandora's just booted, another 'issue' (not sure if it is because it doesn't really do anything AFAICT) after logon I get the error:
This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding utopia18-openpandora to the file /etc/hosts on your system. "

I've always had this message, but I don't fully understand it. I've tried making the change to the hosts file it suggests but I don't have that level of writing privilege it seems, and I'm not so good yet with the terminal :\ Sorry if this is an irrelevant issue to this thread, just posted it in case it may be linked somehow (?)
I believe I've seen it advised that you should reflash if you're getting this. :p

I never got that error, but I tried reflashing and reinstalling HF3, still same, cant unmount :blink:

Alerino said:
guys guys

Are they FAT32 partitions?
Yes indeed mine is :p what do you recommend? think I'll re-flash my Pandora and re-format my SD's.

dont know, is there a command i can check from the terminal? Got no card reader at work :p

EDIT: I cant imagine having formatted it as anything else, so I think it must be

Cheers Al,

Both my cards show as "type vfat"

Is that the problem? It needs to be fat32?

I'll have to wait till I get home, got the Panasonic formatter at home and no card reader here.

I was having this problem, just used the Panasonic formatter, and I still have the problem. =/

Prometheus said:
I believe I've seen it advised that you should reflash if you're getting this. :p

Thanks, did the trick :) (I never seem to bother fixing issues if I don't see the effects :) I'll test the SD stuff in a sec...

[Edit: Okay, Reflashed and Formatted SD's to FAT32 with 32kb byte allocation, and it STILL won't work... Am I missing something here?]

Viral18 said:
No software available to kill, so I'd imagine it should be unmountable.

This is a bad flash - you need to reflash your OS.

Viral18 said:
EvilDragon said:
Open a terminal and try:

Okay after realizing I typed it in wrong it did something... don't know what, but it did it...
Both cards are mounted, and still won't unmount though :s

That command simply lists what KEEPS your SD Cards from unmounting, it wasn't supposed to help.
(Did you close a program that accessed the SD Card maybe?)

Anyone who can't unmount: Use the lsof command and report me what it tells you.

jonlad1 said:
I get the same

EDIT: I get Unable to mount, cannot open /media/.hal-mtab

This is not the same. This is when you try to unmount from the filemanager, which doesn't work, since the filemanager uses HAL and we're using UDEV to mount and unmount.

We're talking about the SD Mass Storage program (found in System)

Last edited:
Back