Mass Storage Mode Issues

EvilDragon said:
This is a bad flash - you need to reflash your OS.
Yeah, that issues fixed thankyou :)

EvilDragon said:
That command simply lists what KEEPS your SD Cards from unmounting, it wasn't supposed to help.
(Did you close a program that accessed the SD Card maybe?)

Anyone who can't unmount: Use the lsof command and report me what it tells you.
Yeah I figured that after I made that post :p
It comes up with nothing, so it isn't files on the SD that are stopping the unmount.

EvilDragon said:
filemanager uses HAL and we're using UDEV to mount and unmount.

We're talking about the SD Mass Storage program (found in System)

The only hardware difference between our Pandora(s) are the SD card brands and format, and as I get the same issue after a re-flash and re-install of hotfix 3, the only thing I can think of is the SD type. Mine are both 16GB Bytestor class 6 SD cards formatted to FAT32 with an allocation size at 32kb. Anyone else with the issue care to post their SD card specs? -I have no idea whether it makes a difference but maybe someone can do something with the figures :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Viral18 said:
The only hardware difference between our Pandora(s) are the SD card brands and format, and as I get the same issue after a re-flash and re-install of hotfix 3, the only thing I can think of is the SD type. Mine are both 16GB Bytestor class 6 SD cards formatted to FAT32 with an allocation size at 32kb. Anyone else with the issue care to post their SD card specs? -I have no idea whether it makes a difference but maybe someone can do something with the figures :s

I doubt it's the SD Card brand - as Linux should be able to unmount them.
The only problem I've seen when Linux can't unmount a crad, is when some program accesses it.
So if you ran any software before using the card, etc., that could be it.

That's why I wanted a post of lsof - since that one tells WHAT programs are accessing the card currently.
It might even be some daemon and a software bug that is only triggered when you do something special, so lsof would help me dig into it and reproduce the problem on my Pandora :)

Last edited:
Just did lsof /media/8GB right after booting, and it returned nothing. I still get the "could not be unmounted" error when I try to use the sd-mass storage, though. :huh:

EvilDragon said:
I doubt it's the SD Card brand - as Linux should be able to unmount them.
The only problem I've seen when Linux can't unmount a crad, is when some program accesses it.
So if you ran any software before using the card, etc., that could be it.

That's why I wanted a post of lsof - since that one tells WHAT programs are accessing the card currently.
It might even be some daemon and a software bug that is only triggered when you do something special, so lsof would help me dig into it and reproduce the problem on my Pandora :)

Well mine won't unmount even directly after startup in which no software or files would be accessed. lsof displays nothing in use on the card, and even my card without the pandora folder and .pnd files doesn't unmount, so I get the feeling it's not regarding background software etc...

Hmm, then I need to check the op_masstorage once more... seems like I somehow have implemented a bug in the final version, though I haven't changed anything since Beta 2 :eek:

EvilDragon said:
Hmm, then I need to check the op_masstorage once more... seems like I somehow have implemented a bug in the final version, though I haven't changed anything since Beta 2 :eek:
Thanks for looking into it :)

I have the same problem with a 16GB Bytestor class 4 card. Never had any problems before installing hotfix 3.

Hmm, I was able to use the mass storage in beta 2 but now since I installed the final version I get the same problem... But I also updated Ubuntu today... so ether theres something different with the final version or it may be someting in the Ubuntu update that makes this problem.... or something strange has happend to all my SD cards.... or somthing else :p

I think Iĺl check if it works in windows 7 now... to see if it has anything to do with Ubuntu.

Stupid me! Made a stupid bug!

If you want to fix it yourself, open up a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo mousepad /usr/pandora/scripts/op_storage.sh

Go to the line which looks like this:

Code:
if umount $device

Change it to make it look like this:

Code:
if umount $device2

Save.

That's it. Should work now.

Haaaa I figured it was something stupid simple like that.. I though it was only me with mass storage issues. Guess it hit everyone. =P Thanks ED

Edit: Tested. Works fine. Thanks again! =)

Edit2: Seems to only work with One Sd card, both were working prior to update 3 from b2 will reboot and let you know

Nevermind, works fine now

Cheers ED that fixed it for me aswell but Vista still claims its a 'CDC composite device' and fails to load any drivers. Though this does not stop access to the SD cards whilst 'unmounted' so all good :).

Chaser said:
Cheers ED that fixed it for me aswell but Vista still claims its a 'CDC composite device' and fails to load any drivers. Though this does not stop access to the SD cards whilst 'unmounted' so all good :) .

You probably connected it before you switched the Pandora to mass storage mode, eh?
Mass Storage mode switches of the CDC-Device and reenables it afterwards (unless you disable it completely in the Startup-Settings) :)

Last edited:
Possible ED yes lol!

If I recall though, I first used it under the hotfix3 beta when the cards would unmount ok and then hooked up the USB to my laptop but when nowt happpened, I re mounted them and then Vista threw its toys out!

Thanks for your time and mostly of course for my Pandora. I loves her madly.... despite a possible Lcd cable issue I maybe having but will research first.

You really don´t sleep much do you? Truly Evil I guess :)

Has anybody had any luck doing this with Mac OS X? It doesn't seem to detect the disk...

Back