Max current input on mini USB port (charging)

Nardella

What is the most current a Pandora can take in through its mini USB port for charging?

It is currently configured to draw at most 500ma. This can be reconfigured in the driver up to 2 amps, I believe. The 500ma is to prevent overloading your PC which might not be able to supply more than 500ma.

Cool, how can I change this? Would it be possible to write a script which I can activate through a shortcut on the desktop (one for 500ma one for 1000ma and such?

It would be nice if I could set it then once the pandora is unplugged it resets to the default 500ma

I think a very important question to ask is why you want to do this. There are major safety concerns with a device that attempts to draw more than 500ma unrestricted off a USB port. I could write you a program which would push the USB charge to a hire level temporarily and then reset it when done, but I don't want to be responsible if it then burns down your PC.

if perhaps people want to use electrical to usb adapters to charge their pandora, like say the touchpad does with an output of 5.3v at 2A

The touchpad doesn't have a distinct power port. The chip they used to charge probably also has a lot of smarts to make sure it doesn't draw more than can be supplied. Nothing I've seen about the twl we've got indicates the same smarts: it simply draws what it is told to, which can be dangerous.

For charging off a 2A USB wall plug, there's that USB->PSP squid plug that Prometheus was suggesting.

Back