Cracked Charger Input

Valpskott

Still Fresh
Yeah, so my Pandora stopped recharging. Opened it up and saw that the input(where you insert the charger) had broken off from the board.

I found out that I can charge via mini-USB, which work. So, I wanted to know how safe/unsafe it is to solder the input back on the board? There is a connector(screen cable?) just to the side of the input, which I intend to disconnect. What are the risks attempting to do this?

I'm not that keen on sending the Pandora back, don't even know if I've voided the warrenty by unscrewing the 5 screws. I'd rather just fix this myself. But if the heat from an soldering iron is very unsafe or something, I'll probably just use the mini-USB for future charging(seems so slow though).

If you've done some soldering jobs before, it shouldn't be too hard to fix that one yourself.

If you've done some soldering jobs before, it shouldn't be too hard to fix that one yourself.

I got 3 year electrical training in school(one year spent soldering exercises), but that was 13 years ago, since then I've only soldered a couple of guitar pickups which arn't too sensitive to heat. So I think I'll make my father do it, his soldering iron has a finer tip and he solders components every now and then in his Job, so his soldering skills may be a tad more up to date.

Any tips? What should we avoid?

Back