May I still change my casing colour?

SneHebNor

Hi,

when I ordered my Pyra, I asked for a (boring) black or coal colour casing.
Now I changed my mind and prefer a transparent one.
Transparency rules!

Will there be transparent Pyras?
Can I still change the order?
How? What shall I do?

TIA!

PS: If it's too late or transparent will not be available, I can live with black or coal colour, no big deal.

Right now all you have a voucher for a pre-order, I believe it was stated when you complete the order when the Pyra is ready to ship, you will be given a choice of colo(u)ring.

Right now all you have a voucher for a pre-order, I believe it was stated when you complete the order when the Pyra is ready to ship, you will be given a choice of colo(u)ring.

IF there is a choice in color at that point. The number of Pyra being produced might be less than the MOQ of any given color of the case plastics. No, I do not know this for a fact or what the MOQ on the cases might/will be.

Molded plastic production is one place where economies of scale play out pretty quickly. The mold creation is kept out of this example - it has to be done regardless of color variety. There are many hours of set up involved for each production run - those hours may then get repeated if they switch feed stock.

If we make stuff up and pretend that the setup costs are $10,000 then the machine cranks out 500 cases an hour and costs $5.000 an hour to operate... A single color 2000 case run is then about $30,000 or $15 per case. If that is split into two 1000 case runs, each run is $20,000 or $20 per case - and 1000 of those would be sitting around waiting for more orders. Split into 3 color choices - you get the idea. Those numbers are not accurate - but the point is. Without adequate demand, it may be difficult for there to be much color variety. Between the repeated setup costs AND the money involved in purchasing MOQ volumes of each color - that is a lot of money.

Particularly on this first run, it might be hard to justify having an extra $30,000+ (speculation) tied up in unused case plastics lying around. A conservative approach may be to do just one or maybe two colors for the first batch - Black and Dark Red polled very well.

The clear case exists for the purposes of prototyping - so they can see inside and tell if there are any conflicts or stresses. Are they cool as hell? Yes. Did they score high enough in the case polls to justify molding them by the thousands? Probably not.

From the polling, some shade of black is likely a given. From the artwork on the boards here and the polling, the Dark Red should likely exist.

I like the idea of having my prototype be a clear case. However, I've also got a credit with Link and will probably purchase a 2nd non-prototype - that one will be either Dark Red or Black. I also like the idea of having a 'cases' package that lets us buy complete cases in every color they exist in.

Well, I can live with black just fine. As long as it is not red, green, or blue or any mixture of them, it's OK.

If I add red, green, and blue, I get white. If I substract cyan, magenta, and yellow, I get black :~) The former is not possible with the material, I assume.

The case doesn't create light though, it only filters reflected light to create the apparent colour. It's a subtractive system, not additive, so if you were to add a red dye and a cyan one, you'd end up with black, not white in theory at least.

Edit: And to use your examples specifically, if you had a red filter, a green filter and a blue filter, you wouldn't be able to see through them stacked. And a yellow and a magenta filter were stacked, they'd appear red, and if you put a cyan filter on top of that you'd see black again.

i wonder if we can get the specs of the case and 3d print a case if we want to and sent it to Ed and the guys to install it for us? i just got a printer and trying to figure out what i want to print 1st

The case doesn't create light though,
Thinking about it, why note create a case made of curved LCD displays, like some of those fancy modern smartphones have? The dev costs might increase by millions and the release might be postponed by years but I'm sure some people would consider that acceptable if they get totally customizable case colors for it. ;)

If you truly trust it, it will !! :happy:
Crazyness aside, even the current case emits light. It just depends on your definition of "light" - you need to include a sufficient portion of the IR spectrum.
[doublepost=1477678802,1477678630][/doublepost]
i wonder if we can get the specs of the case and 3d print a case if we want to and sent it to Ed and the guys to install it for us? i just got a printer and trying to figure out what i want to print 1st
If I were him I wouldn't do that, at least not the final assembly job.
There is no way for ED to know if your custom-made case meets his quality standards. So if he ships units made from those parts he'll be in warranty hell in no time.

To the best of my understanding, there is no consumer or prosumer level 3D printer that can come close to the strength and accuracy of molded polycarbonate.

Thinking about it, why note create a case made of curved LCD displays, like some of those fancy modern smartphones have? The dev costs might increase by millions and the release might be postponed by years but I'm sure some people would consider that acceptable if they get totally customizable case colors for it. ;)

Crazyness aside, even the current case emits light. It just depends on your definition of "light" - you need to include a sufficient portion of the IR spectrum.
[doublepost=1477678802,1477678630][/doublepost]If I were him I wouldn't do that, at least not the final assembly job.
There is no way for ED to know if your custom-made case meets his quality standards. So if he ships units made from those parts he'll be in warranty hell in no time.
it would be mine only. no other case's made for people. and also its just a thought

To the best of my understanding, there is no consumer or prosumer level 3D printer that can come close to the strength and accuracy of molded polycarbonate.
I'm not even aware of an industrial level 3D printer that can compare with BOTH the strength and accuracy of molded polycarbonate.

Last edited:
DIY (it feels odd telling someone with a 3D printed to do that, because that is why most people with them got them...). Recasing, or opening it for any reason should be easier/safer with the Pyra than the Pandora.

On the topic of case color, I would still like the official word on that, even if that wood is relay two words, like "stop asking". My guess is the word is probably still "undecided".

One choice, or blue (or purple, or yellow, etc.) and one of recent top 3, makes deciding much easier for me. (Dark) grey would be good in pretty much all situations I see myself in, while red is a deviation for me that seems fun and appropriate for the Pyra, while clear allows for a bit more creativity, or I can see the guts (which isn't quite as interesting as a skeletonized watch, but still).

EvilDragon's said that he would release everything, no fear there I should think. He did post the original case model a long while ago which I started printing for the heck of it. The Pyra has gone through some physical tweaks since then so the case has obviously changed and that original case almost certainly wouldn't fit anymore, so we're just going to have to wait for the updated files.
As others have mentioned, it's not going to be nearly as strong as a moulded polycarbonate but 3D printing replacements when it breaks is fast and cheap so I wouldn't be too worried.

Back